collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks  (Read 236661 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wall Tents Tips and Tricks
« Reply #510 on: September 12, 2019, 08:36:19 PM »
Has anyone used straw for a floor inside the tent? Obviously with carpet by the cot and something under the stove.

No, it would make a mess inside my tent  :dunno:

Sorry, could not refuse.  :chuckle:

Would it attract or hide mice?

I don’t use straw inside the tent. However I do sprinkle some lightly on the ground under the ground cloth. Makes clean up lots nicer. I do spread straw around the outside of the tent so in heavy rain dirt doesn’t splat up on the canvas.

We do have a Costco canopy cook shack and we do use the straw on the floor to keep dust down.
Last year I tried something new. I put 24 hour mouse traps around the cook shack and 50 feet away I used cotton balls around two tents with peppermint oil on them.
In. 14 days I never had a mouse around the tents but caught several around the cook shack.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #511 on: September 13, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
Two years ago was the first time I added mouse traps to my camp box. I can't tell you how many we've caught now. It's quite satisfying to be lying on your cot listening to fire crackle in the stove as you drift off to sleep and hear a loud SNAP! from outside the tent. I sleep quite soundly now.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline frazierw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2019, 08:14:00 AM »
I got a 16x20 wall tent for christmas last year, and I am psyched to use it this year.  This thread has been great for information!  I'm gonna pick up some of those Luxe lights before the season.

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2019, 08:22:50 AM »
We’ve never had an issue with mice in our tent. We camp in dispursed campsites, not a camp ground, maybe that’s the difference?

Also considering going floor less this year with the exception of a rug next to my cot. Trying to down size from a 20’ horse trailer, dad brings a lot of extra stuff, to just a Ford Ranger with canopy and small open utility trailer.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #514 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:58 AM »
We’ve never had an issue with mice in our tent. We camp in dispursed campsites, not a camp ground, maybe that’s the difference?

Also considering going floor less this year with the exception of a rug next to my cot. Trying to down size from a 20’ horse trailer, dad brings a lot of extra stuff, to just a Ford Ranger with canopy and small open utility trailer.

We camp in u developed areas too. Just depends on the area I think. Down at  Bethel never see a mouse. Up at Twisp all over the place.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:48:15 PM by ghosthunter »

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »
We don’t use straw in the tent but late season hunts when it is really cold we will use a bail spread out around the perimeter of the tent and it really helps seal up any drafts around the bottom.  It makes a noticeable difference.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #516 on: September 15, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
We don’t use straw in the tent but late season hunts when it is really cold we will use a bail spread out around the perimeter of the tent and it really helps seal up any drafts around the bottom.  It makes a noticeable difference.

:yeah: :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #517 on: September 16, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
Lux pro lights worked pretty well in the tent last week.

The Q stove did not perform so well. :(
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #518 on: September 17, 2019, 11:52:01 AM »
Any idea how much coal It takes to keep a 12x14 warm all night long? I have access to a unlimited amount, but don’t want to bring too much.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #519 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:47 PM »
Any idea how much coal It takes to keep a 12x14 warm all night long? I have access to a unlimited amount, but don’t want to bring too much.

Never used it in a tent ,wish I could find a supply of coal I would love to use it. I did use coal years ago in a kitchen wood stove . Was in a cabin my first wife and I rented before were married. It did not take a very much to turn the stove top red out. Couple softball size chunks.
I worried about it because the stove was about 16 inches from the Kitchen sink. Got up one night to get a glass of water at the sink. Back than I slept in the buff. Backed up to far one night and end up with my rear in the sink soothing the burn I got from that red hot coal fired stove. :sry: :bdid:

Two large gunny sacks of coal should do it for 10 days or more if you mix a little wood in.
Coal can be left out in the weather too.    :twocents:

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #520 on: September 19, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
i have never used coal either, curious to why?  does it burn for a long time,hot etc?  we keep trying to figure out how to keep the fire going in the night  i hate the 3am shiver and crawl to the stove to re light a fire.  does the coal burn clean or wil it "soot" the chiminey real bad

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #521 on: September 19, 2019, 02:30:06 PM »
i have never used coal either, curious to why?  does it burn for a long time,hot etc?  we keep trying to figure out how to keep the fire going in the night  i hate the 3am shiver and crawl to the stove to re light a fire.  does the coal burn clean or wil it "soot" the chiminey real bad

I've read several times to throw coal in at night to keep the fire going all night long. I'm hoping it at least keeps enough coals going that I can throw a chunk of wood on at that 2am pee break. Also when I leave the tent in the morning I'm hoping it'll keep the chill away until I return at noon.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #522 on: September 27, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Soo as my wall tent time is only 5 days away. I got to thinking about my wood stoves. Has any one ever burned pellets in the wood stove like wood?
Not with a hopper just take a scoop or two and throw in at night with the coals.

I usually get a good bed of coals going before bed and than throw in a couple pressed logs with some wood and cut the air down.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #523 on: September 27, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »
My wood recipe, use doug fir to get a good bed of coals going.  Stuff full of oak, and damper down.  Should burn 6-7 hrs no problem.  The trick is getting your hands on the oak.  Not as easy to find as doug fir.

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #524 on: September 27, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
Soo as my wall tent time is only 5 days away. I got to thinking about my wood stoves. Has any one ever burned pellets in the wood stove like wood?
Not with a hopper just take a scoop or two and throw in at night with the coals.

I usually get a good bed of coals going before bed and than throw in a couple pressed logs with some wood and cut the air down.

I tried pellets like described a couple of years ago. I didn’t see an improvement, so won’t be doing that again. I’ve had decent luck with Crunchy receipt, except I’ve used locust instead of oak.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]