collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Waterfowl Boats, blinds etc.  (Read 213133 times)

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Waterfowl Boats, blinds etc.
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »
huntinhik

My decked over jonboat is a copy of Zack Taylors Zackbox.  His was built on a V-bottom boat for hunting the eastern seashore.

If you can find an old copy of his book on waterfowling boats there is alot of info in it.  He was the boating editor for Sports Affield in the 50's and 60's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Successful-Waterfowling-Zack-Taylor-1975-HB-Duck-/150517619160?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item230b8c99d8

AWS
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:08:55 PM by AWS »
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
I love duckboats, wish this thread were more active, would really like seeing the different ways everyone sets up there rigs.

Here's my latest endevor.  Traded a coyote rifle for a Marsh Rat for hunting river backwaters and and estuaries along the coast.
Most of my runs are pretty long so I modified it to a "Power Rat".  Been out twice and it is great really works well where my other boat is too large.

AWS

Make mine a Minaska

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2011, 08:49:17 PM »
Nice AWS, gonna have to take pic. of my set up the next time I go out and post them.

I added a motor to mine and Its a life saver  ;)
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline bigcans

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
guys, i need some advice on what would be inexpensive waterproof or resistant material I can find to put on the inside upper flaps of my Avery boat blind? Home depot? I remember when working in AK, we used a heavy plastic for ground cover in the scrawl space under the homes we built but think the zip ties will eventually tear out. But maybe not since there wouldnt be much stress on that section. Cut a 2 ft piece and run it the length on each side? maybe add some brown paint to it?

Also, those of you who are using an avery or Northern flight from Cabela's, are you covering the middle section opening by laying mats over the opening but they could fall into the water if not using some ball huggers. i don't really like the opening i have in the boat. As long as there isn't any movement on my part I should be good. the boat is green lowe roughneck. thanks.
Who needs a reason it's Duck Season

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
bigcans, try tyvek house wrap. Lightweight, very durable... Not sure how well paint will stick though...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 09:14:26 PM »
guys, i need some advice on what would be inexpensive waterproof or resistant material I can find to put on the inside upper flaps of my Avery boat blind? Home depot? I remember when working in AK, we used a heavy plastic for ground cover in the scrawl space under the homes we built but think the zip ties will eventually tear out. But maybe not since there wouldnt be much stress on that section. Cut a 2 ft piece and run it the length on each side? maybe add some brown paint to it?

Also, those of you who are using an avery or Northern flight from Cabela's, are you covering the middle section opening by laying mats over the opening but they could fall into the water if not using some ball huggers. i don't really like the opening i have in the boat. As long as there isn't any movement on my part I should be good. the boat is green lowe roughneck. thanks.

Use 3M spray adhesive. once stuck its a done deal
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

Offline bigcans

• Tracker
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »
yeah there is an idea. Thanks.  :dunno: my brain just can't think anymore

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »
I love duckboats, wish this thread were more active, would really like seeing the different ways everyone sets up there rigs.

Here's my latest endevor.  Traded a coyote rifle for a Marsh Rat for hunting river backwaters and and estuaries along the coast.
Most of my runs are pretty long so I modified it to a "Power Rat".  Been out twice and it is great really works well where my other boat is too large.

AWS
Since it has a motor on it, does it need to be registered now in the state of Washington.  Depending on what waterway your on, you may be subject to a ticket.  Good modification though.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 09:49:55 PM »
Bigcans,
You can go to Harbour Freight and get the camo tarps for cheap.  Take the 20% off coupon with you that you get out of the paper and you will save additional money.  You can fuse the tarps together to wrap both sides if need be with camo tape and zip ties.  If your going for cheap.  I would then lightly go over the camo with olive drap camo paint to get rid of the shine.  I purchased the wind stopper for my Avery pop-up blind.  It works great and in high wind I have a nice sail boat as well.
For the top of my blind I use ball snuggers with a piece of the camo netting that I picked up at Wholesale sports.  It's the camo with the punch out made out of rip stop.  The birds despite not moving will look down into the black hole and flare.  Close up the top and make shooting holes.  If you have gras mats cover the top, so you can push out.  Your results will be better hands down.  I have have tried it many time open and closed.  I always carry a bag a zip ties to add to the blind if needed.  The more camo the better the hunt on public lands. 
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline BigKav

• Tracker
Waterfowl Boats, blinds etc.
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

Took her out a couple times this season. Couldn't be happier with my purchase. Hell of a nice guy sold it to me earlier this year.

Offline bigcans

• Tracker
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:48 PM »
Bigcans,
You can go to Harbour Freight and get the camo tarps for cheap.  Take the 20% off coupon with you that you get out of the paper and you will save additional money.  You can fuse the tarps together to wrap both sides if need be with camo tape and zip ties.  If your going for cheap.  I would then lightly go over the camo with olive drap camo paint to get rid of the shine.  I purchased the wind stopper for my Avery pop-up blind.  It works great and in high wind I have a nice sail boat as well.
For the top of my blind I use ball snuggers with a piece of the camo netting that I picked up at Wholesale sports.  It's the camo with the punch out made out of rip stop.  The birds despite not moving will look down into the black hole and flare.  Close up the top and make shooting holes.  If you have gras mats cover the top, so you can push out.  Your results will be better hands down.  I have have tried it many time open and closed.  I always carry a bag a zip ties to add to the blind if needed.  The more camo the better the hunt on public lands.

yep, got the zip ties covered. needed about 10 of them today. an idea came to me today while out there...measure the opening front, middle and back. cut some 3/4" plywood to fit. spray adhesive onto the wood and add the grass to them or burlap to break it up since there are a lot of dead heads "wood" in the river. drill a hole at the ends of them and tie them to the upper frame. remove them when done hunting.

I'm thinking the plywood pieces will work better as they won't be sagging.

Offline duck stamp

• Tracker
  • 60yr waterfowler
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
If you guys want to check out a great duck boat check out MoMarch.com,   I got mind this last Sept what a great boat.
3 kinds of duck hunters, duck hunters that make it happen, duck hunters that watch it happen and duck hunters that wonder how it happen.                                 MEMBER WWA SOUTHWEST CHAPTER

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I took the pics while testing it on Non Federally Mandated Waters, it is now properly registerred and has stickers and numbers.  Thank you for the reminder, it is a tricky deal with the Mandated and Non-Mandated waters  it took a lot of calls to get a list of the waters..

AWS

Make mine a Minaska

Offline brichards44

• Tracker
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »

Just thought I'd share a boat build I did this winter. It was a great project and kept it under $250.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
I love it brichards44  :tup:

Looks good  :hello:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics