collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips and tricks thread  (Read 28041 times)

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
Re: Tips and tricks thread
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 10:23:20 AM »
A lot of new trappers so I’m bumping this thread

Set traps away from public view away from trails and out of view of roads. When possible set traps so you can check with binoculars from a slight distance so your not making trails to your sets
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Mt.Beaver

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: WSTA, NRA,
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »
Just a comment on marking trap locations with ribbons, tape etc.  I generally will locate my trap markers to one side of my trap or the other maybe 20-25 feet.  No sense leading a thief right to the trap. Make them work for it or think the mark was for something else.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
Never neglect to check the condition of your traps! Just because they were minty at the end of last season when you put them away doesn't mean your set to go. I found a beaver cage missing a trigger wire and a trap tag tonight :chuckle: quick wire bend up so you don't miss that beaver or otter and replace the tag saves a ticket from the warden

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2018, 04:04:33 PM »

Okay I got one for you   :peep:

I've been using this method for several years.  You can check your traps from a distance so you don't have to walk into your set.
You can use this one either on a swim-through trap or even a cat, raccoon or skunk trap.
Bend a wired flag around the door or doors  of your trap so when the door(s) is shut the flag is standing straight up.
JC   :hello:

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 05:55:53 PM »
When it comes to cat trapping put prebaits out ahead of time !
I don’t start trapping cats until January 1st but I start pre baiting now, hang the bait ( a quarter of a beaver) about 6-8 ft up a cedar tree and those cats will climb up and the coyotes won’t get it and also put a dab of your lure on there

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 08:01:50 AM »
Just a comment on marking trap locations with ribbons, tape etc.  I generally will locate my trap markers to one side of my trap or the other maybe 20-25 feet.  No sense leading a thief right to the trap. Make them work for it or think the mark was for something else.

I'm pretty paranoid about marking things.  I rarely mark a set that way just because I've had a couple traps tampered with.  In some places I'll even neglect my visual attractants for this same reason.

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Trapper John

• Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 05:43:42 PM »

I'm pretty paranoid about marking things.  I rarely mark a set that way just because I've had a couple traps tampered with.  In some places I'll even neglect my visual attractants for this same reason.

Use a handheld GPS and mark the spot.  Nobody know than but you    :IBCOOL:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »

Use a handheld GPS and mark the spot.  Nobody know than but you    :IBCOOL:

That’s what I’ve been doing yes sir.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2018, 10:52:54 AM »
Something I started doing recently on open water muskrat is piling up artificial feed piles and runs leading from open water to the self made climb out. Not sure if it’s a killer technique but it’s better than carrying traps back to the truck. I’ve caught a dozen or so rats doing this. So far it’s working moderately well

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 11:27:28 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. I’m setting my first beaver sets this coming week and am looking for all the help I can get. They are flooding a buddys property, I’ll keep ya posted

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »
Here is something that I told the class yesterday at Cabelas.
Often when you are setting swimthroughs you will find a nice channel or maybe a edge set but the water is too swift. The flowing water sets the trap off or maybe it stays set but a few bits of grass build up on the trigger and off it goes, frustrating!

Cut your self a small willowy whip and insert that through the cage wire side to side on the downstream side of the trigger wires so that the trigger can rest against the whip. Provides additional support for the trigger so it will not be set off so easy.

It seems not to deter animals from going through the trap and even with what seemed like a pretty substantial stick I seem to catch even rats so no problem with the trap firing.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2018, 05:19:49 PM »
Here is something that I told the class yesterday at Cabelas.
Often when you are setting swimthroughs you will find a nice channel or maybe a edge set but the water is too swift. The flowing water sets the trap off or maybe it stays set but a few bits of grass build up on the trigger and off it goes, frustrating!

Cut your self a small willowy whip and insert that through the cage wire side to side on the downstream side of the trigger wires so that the trigger can rest against the whip. Provides additional support for the trigger so it will not be set off so easy.

It seems not to deter animals from going through the trap and even with what seemed like a pretty substantial stick I seem to catch even rats so no problem with the trap firing.

Thanks for the advice humptulips. I hope the class was full and a success!

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2020, 06:16:24 PM »
If you have a gut instinct someone is untrustworthy while trapping, listen to it. That guy watching from his car at the boat launch as you check a trap? Ya that guy. When he leaves move that damn trap. Or pull it as they watch, or skip that check until they are gone. Not much will light a flame in a boat on a dark night in driving rain and wind, but a stolen trap will make me breath 🔥🔥🔥🔥  :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2020, 06:50:13 PM »
Just a word to the wise if you plan to get some of Dunlap's Hellfire long distance smear lure, expect your post office, your mail man, your wife, your kids, and you sister in law to be very upset with it being near them :chuckle: mail man hand delivered to the front door and mention he doesn't think he will ever get the smell out of his truck 🤣😂🤣😂 and that was through cardboard box, packing paper, 2 ziplocks, tape and the glass jar

Offline DishBogget

• Hunter
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
Just a word to the wise if you plan to get some of Dunlap's Hellfire long distance smear lure, expect your post office, your mail man, your wife, your kids, and you sister in law to be very upset with it being near them :chuckle: mail man hand delivered to the front door and mention he doesn't think he will ever get the smell out of his truck 🤣😂🤣😂 and that was through cardboard box, packing paper, 2 ziplocks, tape and the glass jar
I’ll add to this....if you value your marriage don’t bring in the catalog that’s comes in the same box lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter