collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Couple of WA guys up for successful Alaska Moose hunt.  (Read 2348 times)

Offline AKHUNT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Couple of WA guys up for successful Alaska Moose hunt.
« on: September 23, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
Had a couple of friends come up to go on a moose hunt this year.  Have known both Al and Mario since we were kids together, and hunted though out our high school years.  So, they arrived to Anchorage on the 12th.  Took them shopping for last minute supplies and the license and tag, then headed home to get everything repacked into the panniers for the pack into camp the next day.  Sunday morning started out nice and sunny, which made it really nice for our pack in day.  We ended up getting set up at our camp by evening, then decided to eat dinner and take a little ride down from camp and start checking out our area.  We rode a mile and a half or so, and spotted moose on the opposite hillside, about a mile away.  It was a cow followed closely by a bull.  I took my spotting scope out and told Al (Mario came up just to help  Al with this hunt) that he looked to be about a 40ish inch bull, but I was pretty certain he had 3 brow tines on both sides.  So I did a cow call, as loud as I could, and he actually heard it.   The bull stopped and looked our direction, then I called again, and  he left the cow and started heading our way.  After about a half an hour, we heard him grunting about 100 yards below us and slightly to our right.  I called back and he started moving to our left..which was directly down wind.  I figured I’d messed up by  calling, thinking that maybe he’d of stayed off to our right instead of moving down wind.  Regardless, he moved directly downwind of us, and it got really silent.  We were busted. Went back to camp and settled in for the night.  Woke up the next morning to the sound of very steady rain.  Got the animals fed then headed out to a spot we had sort of agreed on.  Did some calling and had a cow just sort of appear about 100 yards away.  Kept calling and  heard a grunt directly behind us.  About 15 minutes later, out pops this bull about 20 yards to our right, and he just walks by and heads to the cow.  He was a small bull, definitely safe from being shot. 

We watched him harass that cow for about an hour and a half, which was pretty fun to watch.  We ended up backing out of there and hunting again in the evening.  Not much action.  Woke up the next day to even heavier rain and did some looking above camp.  Seen some fresh sign but no moose.  Al and Mario found a winter kill antler, which was a very nice set.

They eventually went back to pack them to camp.  We hunted till evening without much action.  We decided to do a reset, and head back to my house the next morning to dry out our stuff and give it another try.  So, we spent a nice warm dry evening at the house then went out early the next morning.  We decided to hunt our way to camp, calling and moving along an area we had come across the day before that was just loaded with scrapes , beds and rubs.  So, we get set up and start calling.  We waited an hour, with no response and mount up to move a bit and set up to call again. We got about 300 yards from the  first calling location and ran into two bulls and a cow.  I think I heard Mario behind me say “Bull”.  I turned to my right and seen the moose trotting away, then looked behind me and seen Al and Mario bailing off the horses.  To this moment, Al had been kind of slow to dismount a horse as his hip was bothering him, but at this moment……he looked like a calf roper coming off his horse.  Anyway, we get off and move for the shot.  We stepped about 5 feet in front of the horses and I pulled the binos up to get a better look.  I knew at first glance he wasn’t wide enough, but was hoping for brow tines.  He was walking away with his ears blocking my view of his brow tines.  He got about a hundred yards away, and Mario gave him a grunt.  That was enough to turn him broadside, and get him to looks straight at us.  I took a quick look and just said “he’s legal, kill him”.  So Al shoots and I immediately hear and see the hit.  I slapped Al on the back and gave him a big thumbs up on a good hit.  The bull was still standing, so I told him “hit him again”.  Second shot hits and he begins to stumble, then he runs down the hill and drops.  Lots of slaps on the back and some hoots follow. 

Then it’s time for the work to begin.  So we move to the bull, take lots of pics.  We didn’t have any game bags with us (they were at camp) so I tell Al and Mario…”soooo, since you’ve never had the pleasure of taking a moose apart……how bout I go back to camp and get the bags, saw…and other stuff we need, and you guys get started”.  It was perfect, by the time I got back they were just about done.  They got the full experience without me taking some of that away from them….the pack out was uneventful, which is the way I like it. 

So, after the second bull in about 8 days, the horses were glad to be back home and off for the rest of the year.  All in all, it was a great hunt, with great friends.  I think my wife spoiled them was some very fine cooking over the entire course of the hunt.  They said they expected to come up and lose weight over the hunt.  I don’t think that was the case…..

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Scout
Re: Couple of WA guys up for successful Alaska Moose hunt.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Great read! Sounds like a great hunt.   :tup: Hopefully I can have the same success as you guys next year

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Looks like your one buddy got a little beating from his rifle.  :chuckle:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline AKHUNT

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:13:59 PM »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing. Looks like your one buddy got a little beating from his rifle.  :chuckle:

It was actually a "thumb print" that Mario did to him...for some reason.  Some sort of WA celebratory ritual maybe........

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »
 :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »

It was actually a "thumb print" that Mario did to him...for some reason.  Some sort of WA celebratory ritual maybe........
Maybe a western Washington thing...  :chuckle:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 02:22:54 PM »
I had a couple of friends do it yourself float trip too.. they were successful too. drove from here up, did a 120 mile float, packed home the moose. previous years used guided float service for a dyi adventure to learn.. looks like a blast! he posted this pic on the final leg of the trip back to kitsap...

USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
Sweet!

I wonder how many people on the ferry freaked out to see a moose rack??? "Murderers!!"  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Mark251

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
Great story...great hunt! Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]