collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mushroom ID Thread  (Read 91236 times)

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Mushroom ID Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2021, 12:58:27 PM »
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline boatloader

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2021, 12:59:00 PM »
Yes... Nothing looks, smells, or feels quite like them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »
Matsutake?  or Amanita smithiana?

I go through this every year.  I've never got a positive ID on a Matsutake.

Offline ganghis

• Scout
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »
I'm no expert but I'd guess since the base of the stipe is wider than the upper part that it's an amanita.  I've never actually had a Matsutake - that's not one I think I'll ever be comfortable with since if you get it wrong you get liver or kidney failure

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2021, 01:34:05 PM »
I'm no expert but I'd guess since the base of the stipe is wider than the upper part that it's an amanita.  I've never actually had a Matsutake - that's not one I think I'll ever be comfortable with since if you get it wrong you get liver or kidney failure

I agree. No Go! Notice in the attached picture that the stem tapers all the way to a point. Also, the aroma of a matsy is that of cinnamon and stinky feet. It's a pungent aroma that the amanita don't have. You should pick matsutake with someone familiar. Once you find them, you'll be an expert.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »
Thanks.  I thought they were Amanita.  Tossing them out.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »
Wash your hands, too.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »
Found some lobsters and Chanterelles! Expensive! They have them at Safeway in Shadle Center, Spokane. Lobsters are $36.99/lb and Chanterelles were I think $34.99/lb!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2021, 12:39:01 PM »
Found some lobsters and Chanterelles! Expensive! They have them at Safeway in Shadle Center, Spokane. Lobsters are $36.99/lb and Chanterelles were I think $34.99/lb!

They're always expensive. COSTCO, too.

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2021, 02:04:56 PM »

And the local shroom buyer pays $3.50 a lb for chanterelles
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2021, 02:35:16 PM »

On a good day. Chanterelles this time of year pay the picker in the field $1-2/lb at most. Then the buyer gets a cut when he sells to the distributor. There's shrinkage because, especially this time of year, the mushrooms can lose 10% weight per day just shedding water. Now the distributor, who has large lease, reefers, utilities, wages, trucks, packaging and shipping costs, also has to turn a profit. All the while the product is shrinking each day. The the retailer sells them with all of their overhead. Believe me when I tell you that the margins in the wholesale mushroom business are tiny by the time the bills are paid.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2021, 02:44:12 PM »
Anybody selling chanterelles for a dollar is getting ripped off.  I’ve seen people sell ones I would never eat for 4$ a #.
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2021, 03:20:15 PM »
Anybody selling chanterelles for a dollar is getting ripped off.  I’ve seen people sell ones I would never eat for 4$ a #.

Tell me all you know about the commercial fungi market. I have a few minutes.  :chuckle:

That was rude. I apologize.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 03:45:38 PM by pianoman9701 »

Offline Platensek-po

• Sourdough
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2021, 04:03:56 PM »

On a good day. Chanterelles this time of year pay the picker in the field $1-2/lb at most. Then the buyer gets a cut when he sells to the distributor. There's shrinkage because, especially this time of year, the mushrooms can lose 10% weight per day just shedding water. Now the distributor, who has large lease, reefers, utilities, wages, trucks, packaging and shipping costs, also has to turn a profit. All the while the product is shrinking each day. The the retailer sells them with all of their overhead. Believe me when I tell you that the margins in the wholesale mushroom business are tiny by the time the bills are paid.

Wow I don’t know the mushroom buyers you know but the ones down the road are nothing like that. They are based out of barns on their property and literally just clean them and take them to the local grocery stores. No reefer,  no lease, no wages. All done by 2 families. I mean I get that they need to make money but buying them for $3.50 when they sell in the grocery store for between 30-50 a lb seems very low. Especially when I see them in the stores all old and dirty still. I’ve picked well over a 100lbs of chanterelles this year and wouldn’t even consider selling them for under them for under $10lb. But that’s me personally. On a side note I found a 6lb cauliflower and a buddy gave me some bears tooth that was part of a 40lb haul. Been my best shroom year so far.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2021, 04:07:38 PM »

I probably spend more than that picking the "free" one in the woods. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal