collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Theft deterrents: What has worked for you?!  (Read 18805 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Theft deterrents: What has worked for you?!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
I think dogs do the best job. Why? Because when the neighbor sees you come out to investigate with a shotgun and a light word gets around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:48 AM »
I know every kid by name in our neighborhood. I lock everything. When I walk to the mailbox, I have a gun belt or shoulder holster on. If there's a strange car sitting in the street with someone in it, I walk to the front of it and noticeably take a photo. Others do this, too. Every house on our street has been egged, had graffiti painted on their fences, or had their cars ransacked...except ours - fingers crossed!
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
Are people that are getting hit living in rural areas, or more populated areas?  I have a long driveway, and lock the place up, and it's on a dead end road.  Our neighborhood is all 2 to 10 acre horse farms in Snohomish County.  We've been here for a little over 2 years and I've always wondered what else I can do, or how "vulnerable" our place is.  The drive is a right of way between two road front properties with houses in view of the driveway, and although the road is a dead end road, it goes for over a mile beyond our house.  I do have some motion sensor lights, and figuring the place is hard to see from the road, and that the only way out of the neighborhood is the way in, I'd think I'm pretty safe, but I just don't want to take a chance.

As far as the vehicle goes, I just make sure there is nothing in the truck to tempt anyone.  Nothing on the seats, nothing in the console, not even a receipt or candy bar or a flashlight.  It's either hidden, or not in the vehicle.  And NO CHANGE anywhere!

Offline Shooting Stix

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2015, 05:29:18 AM »
It's proven that dogs are the biggest deterrent if you get one that's loud and barks

Offline stryker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:40 AM »
Yup, Dogs. Mine have deterred break in attempts and have alerted me to prowlers. I can hear the Chessies in the house with the windows and doors shut... when Im at the other end of the property in the garden.

Offline poopooheaddad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2015, 08:13:08 AM »
I have bad neighbors,   they know I pack 24/7,   they know i have camera's up, but I dont advertise, I have a chi/ corgie that is a barking machine that lets me know when any one is around, and a german shepherd that is the muscle, motion lights,,,, but I think the best thing that I have done is fence my property,,,,the driveway is the choke point, the most easily accesible entrance, I bought a used 16' gate from a fence company to get vehicles in and out and a cheap man gate from one of the hardware stores,,,,,hang some bells on the gates,, a couple of railroad ties some cement, motion lights pointed the right direction some no tresspassing signs with NO SOLICITING signs,,,,dont make it easy for them to get in or out.....
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
Yup, Dogs. Mine have deterred break in attempts and have alerted me to prowlers. I can hear the Chessies in the house with the windows and doors shut... when Im at the other end of the property in the garden.
Chessies are great! I think they are the best combo of a hunting dog and gaurd dog!.thugs dont step foot on my place. CHIEF wont let them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:08 AM »
The solution is:

"Lights, Camera, Packin!"

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 11:51:04 AM »
I know every kid by name in our neighborhood. I lock everything. When I walk to the mailbox, I have a gun belt or shoulder holster on. If there's a strange car sitting in the street with someone in it, I walk to the front of it and noticeably take a photo. Others do this, too. Every house on our street has been egged, had graffiti painted on their fences, or had their cars ransacked...except ours - fingers crossed!

:yeah:  If someone is parked in my neighborhood that I don't know, I go talk to them.  If your hair is raising on the back of your neck, call the cops and let them figure it out.

A few years ago, 2 kids were parked outside my neighbors house (who was on vacation out of country).  I approached the car and asked the driver if he needed help finding his destination.  He told me he was just waiting for his buddy "Joey".  I said, "Well, Joey doesn't live in that house, that house, that house, that house, or that house.  So where does Joey live?"  They got my point and told me they would move their car... And they did.... to the curb in front of MY house this time.

By now I'm a little weirded out by these kids and I call the police.  I say "Hey, if you guys get the vibe that these kids aren't an issue, I'll go to bed.  I just want a professional opinion here because I just got back from Baghdad and if you ask my instincts, they're up to something."  No more than 2 minutes later, their are two cops cars cornering this car with lights.  I think the Iraq vet card really helped... maybe they're afraid I'd go PTSD on them or something( :chuckle:).  One kid ended up getting arrested for warrants and the cop sat with the other kid because he was visibly high and wasn't allowed to drive.  They impounded the car.  Listen to your spidey senses guys.

Oh... Best part of the story was apparently "Joey" is real.  He was my new neighbors kid that was planning on sneaking out that night!   :chuckle: :chuckle:

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2015, 11:53:36 AM »
 :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
LOL....  too funny.

I've been robbed too many times when I lived in Sunnyside.  It was very rural and when the corn was up no one could see anything.

I've tried the fence, dogs, alarm etc.  I quit locking my door because I got tired of having to fix it when it got kicked in.  I won't go into detail publicly on the steps I took to prevent or to catch these parasites, but eventually I moved.

I say, shoot em.   :twocents: :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline pilebuck

• Scout
  • feel luckey?
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2015, 12:37:56 PM »
3 German sheppards do just fine

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 12:39:32 PM »
LOL....  too funny.

I've been robbed too many times when I lived in Sunnyside.  It was very rural and when the corn was up no one could see anything.

I've tried the fence, dogs, alarm etc.  I quit locking my door because I got tired of having to fix it when it got kicked in.  I won't go into detail publicly on the steps I took to prevent or to catch these parasites, but eventually I moved.

Bear trap.  Please say bear trap.  With a scenic tour of the pig sty.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
LOL....  too funny.

Bear trap.  Please say bear trap.  With a scenic tour of the pig sty.

:chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]