collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Elk Starving Videos Mt Saint Helens.  (Read 34547 times)

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New Elk Starving Videos Mt Saint Helens.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
Ditto that, You definitly need to know the local situation here in s.w. wa to understand the problems. St.helens rescue is on the right track to getting attention where it needs it.
      welcome to the site killz

Offline FrankDown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Natural Renewable Resources
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
Ok KillzElk, from my experience dealing with special interest groups and wording here is my take on teh way his website it worded and what his words are.

Mt Helens preservation - (The name states preservation which means no use by definition) Preservation means no use.  No hunting, no target shooting, no hiking, no or limited camping, etc.

His wording in the video states that hunters are a predominate cause of the starvation.

This is my interpretation of his words directly from his mouth and website.  I am not the only one that apparently thinks this also.  

His heart may be inthe right place, but his words are not.  If he in fact wants to help conservation methods to help the elk and get that help from hunters and outdoorsmen perhaps a better angle can be approached.  As it stands it sounds to  me like the many hundreds of animal rights websites that seek to keep hunters out of "their" areas.

I asked him to reiterate his views on this site and in emails and it has been skirted.  So until I am sure I am not funding an animal rights agenda I cannot support him.  I can do what I can do, but I cant fund animal rights lobbys who alrady gain 300 million dollars a year to keep us out of "their" areas.  300 million dollars will buy a lot of hay and alfalfa but generally the money doesnt go to these kinds of issues, it goes to building corporate offices, summer homes, and BMWs.

It is unfortunate that the elk are in the position they are in and that a certain area will only hold so many animals.  That being said we dont know, or I dont know, what they push for in their "private" meetings.  We have enough problems without supporting groups that are fighting against our privileges to hunt.  Once again it is unfortunate that the elk are stuck in this predicament, but if the groups are not supportive of hunting and conservation methods then perhaps another group or agency should be targeted to help.

Once again if someone from the groups wants to clarify what they are saying I will listen.  I have asked a couple times already to clarify their stance on hunting and sportmsmen but have received nothing. To me however their mission statement is unclear on what side of the fence they are on as far as hunting and sportsmen are concerned.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
I hope Bbarnes clears this up. This site has many members that are willing to help, and they need to know where thier support is going.

Offline KillzElk

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:51 PM »
Mt . St. Helens is a Non profit organization that is trying to let the public know about things they should know, bBarnes  is a hunter & for hunting .
No it is not a  preservation, by what I am understanding in the video is this could come to many things.
I see you have time to break down every word directly from his mouth and website.   

His heart is in the right place, but the words may have confused your ears. He is only one person that I am sure has a job and is dealing with all the meetings trying to keep people like you informed, So I am sure he is NOT SKIRTING YOU. If all you want to do is  complain try to help out get involved.
Email him get his number maybe you can get all your answers GENIUS. :peep:

The  funds for the animals  does not go to building corporate offices, summer homes, and BMWs.
Goes Directly here like it says.
Donations can be made directly to:
Pioneer Feed & Supply
Ridgefield Wa.
360-887-4247
Mike Agard

They are NOT a group that is fighting against our privileges to hunt.  Once again it is unfortunate that the elk are stuck in this predicament, But you wont have a problem trying to hunt whats left out there starving when your belly is full.
Starving Elk / Full Belly Hunter MMM ? :EAT:

So email them get there number , :mgun:

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »
Getting angry at me asking what their stance is isnt going to get me to send money to him.  I dont see where my questions are out of the ordinary.  I, like most people, want to know where their money is going as far as backing what we stand for.  ITs great that you can speak for him, but I asked the one in charge what his stance was.

No it is not a  preservation, by what I am understanding in the video is this could come to many things.
I see you have time to break down every word directly from his mouth and website. 

Its what he says.  And it isnt paraphrased, that hunters are the cause of the elk starving.

The  funds for the animals  does not go to building corporate offices, summer homes, and BMWs.

His may not, and I didnt say that his funds were.  I am saying that the animal rights advocacy groups that fight for animal rights and preservation of land which includes no hunting status, does.

Im not trying to argue with you.  Im simply asking a couple questions about his organization and what comes directly from his mouth, and directly from his website.

Email him get his number maybe you can get all your answers GENIUS.
I emailed them, and posted the same questions here, and he replied, without answering the questions.  And  I never have professed myself to be a genius.  I just wanted to know what his stance is on 2 issues that I inquired about.  I dont think it is unreasonable, is it?

Offline KillzElk

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 06:54:12 PM »
Hey I am not angry just love to read your post and break it down the same way , We are all on here for the same reason are rights for everything.

The video says Help these few groups so take your pick:
 http://mtsainthelensrescue.com           These are great Videos: www.youtube.com/user/MtSaintHelensRescue
www.ecoparkresort.com/ 
www.mtsthelensociety.org

He is trying to say that the hunters chase the elk almost all year hunting them  & they dont even get a break, now they have No food.

Thanks for reading my post greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:43:10 AM by bobcat »

Offline gasman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 07:28:36 PM »
Here is my  :twocents: on the issue.

I am all for supporting the feeding of the elk to help there survival of the winter, but i do take offence to his statements in the first video where he blames the hunters for the starvation, while wearing a shirt that has the word "hunters" on it (I am paraphrasing, not quoting him). Blaiming the hunters made me want to give him the Middle finger and inform him where the real blame lies.

:bdid:
If he wants to point the finger in a video, than do it towards the mismanagement from the government agencies, distruction of the habitat by over development, not the the hunters who mainly support this kind of actions.

Just my  :twocents:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline KillzElk

• Tracker
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 07:37:05 PM »
I think his take on the blame is they get chased all year No time to eat which is leads to starvation , Looks like he likes to hunt so is willing to take money out of his pocket to help the Elk & all of us that want to hunt

*Quote*
If he wants to point the finger in a video, than do it towards the mismanagement from the government agencies, distruction of the habitat by over development, not the the hunters who mainly support this kind of actions.

This is correct nice job he is pointing a finger at these worthless government agencies that are lazy & dont have a clue .. :mgun:

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
I don't have a vast knowledge on this area but in short to me it looks like we don't hunt enough down there, over populated area with not enough feed for the elk, and they won't leave do to all the units or most around it being open they are cornered in there and decide because they don't fear starvation like they do predators???

I am though open to insight on this, because I think it's more the WDFW failing to recognize that their permit system has failed this herd?
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline FrankDown

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
This is taken from teh Mt St Helens Society website...

Over 100,000 hunter days led to over pursuit and borderline harassment that has enhanced the stress to an already nutritionally deprived herd.

Eco park resort - I dont understand why a private resort would need help, unless they want to book all ten days at 110 dollars a day...

Im still confused here...

Hey I am not angry just love to read your post and break it down the same way , We are all on here for the same reason are rights for everything.

The video says Help these few groups so take your pick:
 http://mtsainthelensrescue.com           These are great Videos: www.youtube.com/user/MtSaintHelensRescue
www.ecoparkresort.com/ 
www.mtsthelensociety.org

He is trying to say that the hunters chase the elk almost all year huting them  & they dont even get a break, now they have No food.

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2009, 08:31:58 PM »
I would say that if there is that little winter range and feed down there, then they probably arent being hunted enough. I would say that the herd needs to be thinned out a little bit, so they don't all starve during the winter.

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
Sounds like they need to take out some cows in the Mt. St. Helens herd.

Offline KillzElk

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2009, 09:45:48 PM »
I cant Quote on the $17.000.00 but  $17.000.00 + $20.00 per bale = 850 bales  8 bales a day approx 105 days of food. That's almost 2 1/2 months worth of food . I know Eco park feeds 4 bales in the morning 4 bales in eve.  This is a approx guess off the numbers I see posted tha'ts not very many days of food for 130 elk to try and survive on.

Offline bullchaser

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »
The problem in 524 has nothing to due with hunting pressure at all. their are thousands of units in the west with 10 times as much pressure and the herds are stable. the elk are dying because they run out of winter range feed and have been doing so for many years, so the mature bulls and really young ones die leaving nothing but raghorns to rule over thousands of cows breading their inferior genes. that's why those pics are full of rats you would be lucky to find a 6 point in all those elk. The problem is with WDFW, and cutting the tags for the next 3 years is only going to make it worse. We have created this problem by our own rules and regulations I.E. stopping wildfires, 3 point min regs and creating untouched sanctuary's and if the state will not let hunters controll the population (cow hunts ) maybe more of them need to die off.
 I respect what this man is doing and I am greatfull he cares for our wildlife but what he is doing is a temporary fix to a permanent problem.  :twocents:

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2009, 10:23:39 PM »
The problem in 524 has nothing to due with hunting pressure at all. their are thousands of units in the west with 10 times as much pressure and the herds are stable. the elk are dying because they run out of winter range feed and have been doing so for many years, so the mature bulls and really young ones die leaving nothing but raghorns to rule over thousands of cows breading their inferior genes. that's why those pics are full of rats you would be lucky to find a 6 point in all those elk. The problem is with WDFW, and cutting the tags for the next 3 years is only going to make it worse. We have created this problem by our own rules and regulations I.E. stopping wildfires, 3 point min regs and creating untouched sanctuary's and if the state will not let hunters controll the population (cow hunts ) maybe more of them need to die off.
 I respect what this man is doing and I am greatfull he cares for our wildlife but what he is doing is a temporary fix to a permanent problem.  :twocents:

Thats exactly how I see it.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal