collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: AZ. Elk Draw. ??  (Read 11704 times)

Offline 400gross

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: AZ. Elk Draw. ??
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 05:58:33 AM »
Yeah should be fun ,got lots to get ready haven't archery hunted for 8 years :yike:

Offline et1702

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »

I called them and they said they are going to release official results on (or about 4/22). 

Lucky I did call, because they said they didn't have a phone number associated w/my account.  Hoping I didn't miss a call.

ET

Offline jae

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
THAT IS AWESOME! Enjoy your hunt. Love those Arizona Bulls. No luck this year in draws for me yet.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »

I called them and they said they are going to release official results on (or about 4/22). 

Lucky I did call, because they said they didn't have a phone number associated w/my account.  Hoping I didn't miss a call.

ET

Ok thanks. I was going to bug them but I'm being good this year   :)

Offline elkslare

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
Was either 5a or 5b or 6a 6b archery
Not the top units but has lots of elk and some 300 inch bulls

Congrats on your draw. Good luck as well, hope you kill a good one.   :tup:

Offline GotMyTag

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, WSF, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 11:53:16 AM »
I hope you post your success picts.  This should be an awesome hunt.  Glad you drew.

Offline 400gross

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
Az. results are out, through your portal account. B.S.
mine shows nothing

Offline 400gross

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 06:17:40 AM »
ok its official unit 6b archery :tup: :tup:

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2016, 06:45:14 AM »
ok its official unit 6b archery :tup: :tup:
Glad it worked out for ya! :tup:

Offline Wanderer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 05:23:50 PM »
am I looking at the right place ?  i'm using https://draw.azgfd.gov/ but it's not showing anything for this year.  it shows results as of 7/23/2015... :dunno:

Offline et1702

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 10:28:42 AM »

No love for me this year, not selected.

ET

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »
My buddy drew a late rifle bull tag in 22 South. Anybody have experience in that unit? I'll be joining him around turkey day for that hunt. :hello:

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2016, 03:36:36 PM »
I know a couple people that have had the late rifle 22N tag, but despite the proximity, I think that hunt is a lot different than the 22S tag.  Here's a write up from the AZG&F website.  Pretty sweet write up for a game department!

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/units/mesa/22/

Elk

Overview:  Elk numbers in Unit 22 are stable around the 1700 level, with a bull/cow ratio hovering around 35 bulls: 100 cows. Generally, good populations of elk exist throughout the northern portions of Unit 22. Unit 22 has been split into two subunits to better direct elk hunting pressure to areas where elk need to be harvested (see hunting regulations for a full description of subunit boundaries). Unit 22 north is basically the area north and west of Payson, and it holds the majority of the elk in the Unit. Unit 22 south includes the entire area of Unit 22 south of the Unit 22 North subunit. Elk in 22 south generally occur in lower densities compared to 22 North, but nevertheless, elk numbers were expanding in 22 south and few hunters were taking advantage of these elk, so the 22 South hunt Unit was created for force hunters to harvest some of these elk.

The early 22 north and 22 south hunts will have the usual warm to hot daytime temperatures, so be prepared to transport the meat to a walk-in freezer location as soon as possible. Several walk-ins or butcher shops are located in the Payson area.
 For all the hunts (firearms and archery), hunter success will increase with time spent glassing. A good pair of binoculars and spotting scope will improve the chance of taking a trophy bull.

Unit 22 exists entirely below the Mogollon Rim. Annually, elk from Units 5A, 6A, and 4A migrate into northern Unit 22 when feed in the other Units dries out, or when the snow gets deep enough to make them want to move. The peak of the winter movement depends on weather to a large degree, but generally occurs by late November of each year. With the increase of elk in the winter months, hunters will also face the inclement weather that pushes the elk off the rim. A 4-wheel-drive vehicle will be required if the weather turns to rain or snow. Temperature will average a daily high in the 40s to a low in the 20s.

Archery hunt success is closely related to the late October and early November temperatures. If rainfall patterns are normal, hunting around tanks from a tree stand will produce good success. It's still warm enough each day that elk will water in morning or evening. The September archery hunt success will be higher.

Areas: The area around and in the Dude Burn (northeast corner of Unit 22) is an excellent place to hunt for all the hunts. Areas inside the burn with standing sections of live trees will hold elk in larger numbers. The burn area is now over a decade old so the regenerated forage is not as choice as it was in the mid 1990s. However, good numbers of elk can be found within the dude burn area, especially during the later hunts. The Mogollon Rim is a magnet to elk during the late hunts because of the extensive browse that is found along its expanse. There are numerous roads that will take you under the Rim off the Control Road. Take any of these roads during the late hunt and pick a good spot to glass. More than likely you can find elk feeding one or just below the Rim itself. Take a pack frame with you if you hunt in this area because there are a lot of logs that have blown down since the fire and dragging a downed elk or driving to a downed elk in the Dude Burn is nearly impossible.

Hardscrabble Mesa (northwest corner of Unit 22) and the northern end of the Mazatzal Wilderness can be good depending on the current year livestock use.

The brush thicket below the Little Diamond Rim east to Diamond Point Area has produce some nice bulls in the past, but is limited to vehicle use. Recovery of downed elk can be difficult and pack animals are recommended.

The early hunt in Unit 22 South has several good places to check out including Round Valley northeast to the Lion Springs area, and the area around Little Green Valley.

For cow elk hunting in Unit 22 south, the two best places are National Forest land south of the Rim Golf Club and the Payson Municipal Golf Club. Elk feed on these golf courses at night and then move onto national forest land in the mornings to bed. They can frequently be intercepted in the mornings if you do your homework. To get to the Rim club elk, take Granite Dells Road off of Hwy 260 in Payson (next to Safeway). Granite Dells Road will take you onto National Forest Land south of the Rim Club. Get there early and glass and look for sign where the elk are traveling in the area. Just be aware that it is illegal to fire a gun while taking wildlife within a quarter mile of any occupied building. That means both you and your target must be more than ¼ mile from any homes in the area. So do a thorough job of scouting the area prior to the hunt to be sure you are familiar with private and public land boundaries as well as the locations of all the homes. If you are cited for shooting within a ¼ mile of an occupied residence you can also louse your elk!

The Payson Municipal Golf Course can be found by going east on Main Street in Payson off the Beeline Hwy. There is access to the National Forest directly south of the golf clubhouse. The city limits actually extend about ¼ mile south of the swinging metal gate in that area, so again, do your scouting early and be sure of your property boundaries and house locations. National Forest land adjacent to both these golf courses can be great places to harvest elk if you do your homework ahead of time.

Offline 400gross

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
Anyone have any info. Or experience in unit 6b, they might want to share. This is going to be a early archery hunt sept. 9-22

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
I am looking forward to the draw.  I am hoping for a good tag this year.
275 down 2

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal