collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pulled Over Dogs in Bed of Truck  (Read 16894 times)

Offline mjgentile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Pulled Over Dogs in Bed of Truck
« on: January 30, 2009, 10:03:25 PM »
FYI,
My daughter was driving I was riding shotgun, good thing cause I had a beer just before we left home.
Anyway state trouper pulled her over gave her a warning that dogs are not suppose to be in bed of truck unless they are under a canopy or in a cage. I like most of you always but dogs in bed, lived here 6 years own truck for 5 never got pulled over before.

RCW 46.61.660
Carrying persons or animals on outside part of vehicle.

It shall be unlawful for any person to transport any living animal on the running board, fenders, hood, or other outside part of any vehicle unless suitable harness, cage or enclosure be provided and so attached as to protect such animal from falling or being thrown therefrom. It shall be unlawful for any person to transport any persons upon the running board, fenders, hood or other outside part of any vehicle, except that this provision shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles or to solid waste collection vehicles that are engaged in collecting solid waste or recyclables on route at speeds of twenty miles per hour or less.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Pulled Over Dogs in Bed of Truck
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
I like most of you always but dogs in bed

Can't say I've ever done it. My GSP is always in his crate which is tied down. I would hate for him to go flying across the pavement if I had to hit the brakes or were in an accident.  :twocents:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:10:30 PM »
I usually hauled my dogs in plastic crates in the bed of my truck, but never tied the crate down. Now I've got a canopy and they still usually ride in a crate, unless it's just a short trip over to Scatter Creek for a run, then sometimes they just ride loose in the back, under the canopy. I never realized there was a law about that. I'm sure I've violated it several times.

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
i normally put the leash on my dog in the bed , but sometimes i dont if im only going down the road or something she is fine like that and i never been pulled over for it , i dont think it is enforced very much

Offline big ed

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »
my dog has her own seat in the truck cab.she is a little spoiled but that all right .I figure as long as she is safe.she can sit any where she wants except the driver seat.
just like to fish and hunt

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:13:35 PM »
my dog rides in the back seat of the cab or in his crate in the bed under the canopy tied down. once in  a while he gets to roam around for a short trip under the canopy, but not usually.

i'm not gonna preach any more than this...honestly it pisses me off to see dogs loose in the beds of trucks without a canopy. they've got virtually no chance of survival in a wreck. my dog is worth it to me to keep him as safe as i can.
i think it's a great law.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
Had to be on the west side. 

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
I guess it's sorta depends on where you live, my dad runs cattle in the okanogan. his dogs ride on the flatbed and have for 30 years, I asked him about this law and he had never heard of it. I don't think his dogs would ever go for the crate thing. I do know this with out a doubt you could tye those dogs to a saddle in dowtown seattle and it wiil still be there when you get back. I don't think that it's a bad law, I just don't think it would fly in E wa.
go ahead on er.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
I have never seen a working dog in a crate or tied in east of the mountains. Sometimes I have wondered how many times they fell out to learn to stay on so well :IBCOOL:. On the wetside however you seldom see not at least under a canopy, heck most of the time they are in the front seat with their heads out the window to the shoulder, probably more dangerous then having them loose in the bed. I personally keep mine under the canopy and in a crate when traveling any distance, just safer for all involved. That being said growing up we had blue healers and they rode on the tractor or 3 wheeler or truck or wherever they wanted. Just another sign of thetimes :(.

Offline EastWaViking

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:23:38 PM »
...and as kids we used to ride in the back of the pickup, usually standing up or sitting on the edge of the bed.
some times there are just too many rules.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:06:47 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:29:20 PM »
I was in colfax today, and felt totally out of place. I was meeting a guy at the store and my pickup still had the box on it, and every pickup i saw had a flatbed and at least 2 border collies sittin on the bed including the guy i met.
go ahead on er.

Offline benbo30

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:36:48 PM »
I was in colfax today, and felt totally out of place. I was meeting a guy at the store and my pickup still had the box on it, and every pickup i saw had a flatbed and at least 2 border collies sittin on the bed including the guy i met.

yea i see that alot around here as well flatbeds that have dogs on them , and most of them arent even tied down

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
I think the law says cattle dogs are exempt. They are supposed to ride on top of the pick up cab or on a few bales of hay. I think because most are Blue Healers that will bite anything that gets near the truck and everyone is hoping the baskirds fall off going 70mph down the highway and don't have another chance to take a chunk of meat from you hind end.....
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:56 PM »
my pick-up was actually on the news a few months ago for this very thing. My wife works at a vet and they were interviewing them about the issue. We just happened to have our crate strapped in the back that day. 99% of the time he rides in back tied up with his feet on top of the cab. the only reason he's tied up is because he'll bail out after cats.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:15 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]