collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heathers Choice meals review  (Read 20256 times)

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Heathers Choice meals review
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 09:47:18 PM »
$15 is a little too steep for a backcountry meal IMO. I learned from years of eating MREs in the Marine Corps not to be too picky with food in the field and too me MH is leaps and bounds above MREs.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 10:17:24 PM »
 :yeah: foods food, I'm not picky, I mix it all together and throw tapatio or red peppers on it and eat. It all comes out the same to me. If we're in the field and food hits the ground it's fair game,  :IBCOOL: I know Joe knows what I'm talking about. :chuckle:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 10:23:06 PM by PlateauNDN »
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
been wanting to try the heathers choice foods for awhile now. gonna have to order one or 2 before season to add into the mix. figure having something a bit healthier to offset the constant mtn house meal would be a nice treat.

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 11:13:35 PM »
Hell yeah Plat...MRE ham slice drops in the sand I'm scooping it up and eating it before somebody else does!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »
That Texas quail meal actually looks pretty good except for the whole onion thing! It's one of my big issues with a lot of the Mountain House meals is the onions and peppers are always undercooked and crunchy. Not a fan of those.  Off topic, but what is with all these  freeze-dried meals having mushrooms in them too!? Fungus is not meant to be consumed! :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 06:49:12 AM »
That Texas quail meal actually looks pretty good except for the whole onion thing! It's one of my big issues with a lot of the Mountain House meals is the onions and peppers are always undercooked and crunchy. Not a fan of those.  Off topic, but what is with all these  freeze-dried meals having mushrooms in them too!? Fungus is not meant to be consumed! :chuckle:
fungus :puke: :puke:

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 06:57:47 AM »
You guys are crazy.  I love fungus

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »
You guys are crazy.  I love fungus
  and that's why I am gonna out live you :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
I ordered one of everything that Heather makes and have been working my way through the menu on my summer backpacking trips.  I find the meals filling and good flavors.  The Ethiopian Dorwat is by far my favorite.  The chili was so so.  The buckwheat breakfasts are ok but not worth the expense to me.  I do like how small the packaging is on all the meals.  I don't like that it take 20, really more like 30 minutes to reconstitute the dinners.  I won't completely abandon mountain house but it's nice to have another product choice to break up the menu from time to time.  I'm climbing Mt. Adams this weekend and will see if the packaroons help propel me up the mountain.   
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 11:23:20 AM »
I ordered one of everything that Heather makes and have been working my way through the menu on my summer backpacking trips.  I find the meals filling and good flavors.  The Ethiopian Dorwat is by far my favorite.  The chili was so so.  The buckwheat breakfasts are ok but not worth the expense to me.  I do like how small the packaging is on all the meals.  I don't like that it take 20, really more like 30 minutes to reconstitute the dinners.  I won't completely abandon mountain house but it's nice to have another product choice to break up the menu from time to time.  I'm climbing Mt. Adams this weekend and will see if the packaroons help propel me up the mountain.   

Have you tried the salmon chowder yet? Sounds really good.

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 11:33:55 AM »
I really wanted to like the salmon chowder but unfortunately no I didn't care for it. It was too soupy and chewy for my taste. Others may like it so don't not try it - it just wasn't what I was expecting.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 11:40:29 AM »
I really wanted to like the salmon chowder but unfortunately no I didn't care for it. It was too soupy and chewy for my taste. Others may like it so don't not try it - it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Ya I like chowder thick and creamy not watered down. The Ethiopian stuff sounds bomb I like spicy food I might order a couple

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 12:52:05 PM »
  have fun on Adams.  Gonna be a hot mother up there!  Not sure if you've done it before, but pack some good sun scream and make sure to coat the inside of your arms. The sun reflects off the snow and will burn you good.  Figured that one out the hard way :chuckle:

Are they still using the winter route?

Offline CaNINE

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 06:53:52 AM »
Yea the heat may add to the suffer fest. Planning to take it slow and take in lots of water. This is my first trip up so not sure about the winter route we are going up the south climb cattle trail.
Oh one thing about that dorowat...I was thinking it would go really well in a tortilla. So I recommend packing some of those and if maybe some packets of salsa. That wouldn't suck. 

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2016, 09:33:42 AM »
I've got no problem with MH. I'm one of the lucky ones I guess and they don't mess with my stomach. I eat pretty healthy most of the year so a week or two out of 52 eating MH is alright with me.. Everyday at the hospital I grab a few packs of red peppers and tobasco; Makes any meal much more enjoyable.. Backcountry hunting is already expensive enough. And 20-30 min to wait to eat?! NOPE! I'm in bed 30 min after I'm back to camp at night (sometimes I can't even wait that long). I listened to Heather on the Gritty Bowman podcast and I understand the costs associated with doing this and it's nice to have more options, but I'm gonna stick with the Ol standby for now..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal