collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A little depressed, overwhelmed, questioning elk hunting future  (Read 14882 times)

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: A little depressed, overwhelmed, questioning elk hunting future
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
Can't offer up anything to help on the money situation but as all others have said I'd go hunting if possible. Even if just a day trip helps to recharge the batteries. Wish you luck.  :tup:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
Sounds like a bad year for sure  hopefully things turn around.

I have a CPAP as well ii run it off my trucks batteries, with either a inverter, or a 12vdc cable I bought from the manufacture, that plugs into my lighter.

I don't have a serious elk camp just yet. But your more then willing to join us in rimrock anytime!

It doesn't drain the truck battery overnight? Thanks for the partner offer. I will probably be taking up someone on one of these. I appreciate it so much.

Nope, I went 3 days on a regular car battery in the past, they don't take up much power at all. fact is I think I even used a cheap jump box from harbor freight one night to run it, and it didn't drain that.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »
Don't give up, Piano!  We're here for you!  You and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure.  Let me know if I can do anything. 

As for future hunting, don't make any big decisions now.  Handle the health issues, and the woods and waters will be waiting for you in the future!   

Well put....

Hang in there P-Man, don't let Obummercare drag you down.  Bad things come in three's so,  you are done with the bad and good is right around the corner  :tup:
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 07:07:45 PM »
Premium - $1/Mo. - 12,000.00
Meds (no coverage) - $600/mo total - 7,200.00
Deductible is 12,700.00 + 20% of everything thereafter or 50% non-network

Oh yikes! Switch your plan asap! Open enrollment is coming up and there's no reason you should have that medical plan, especially knowing all the medical issues your wife is facing for the upcoming year. It's not a side job but you'd be saving a lot of money by researching as much as possible for next year's medical. Pay for the higher premium and get Gold coverage, I pay for the absolute highest one I can, my max out of pocket is $4,500 a year and it's usually met by February, so the rest of the year everything is 100% covered for me.

The highest deductible listed for a plan on www.wahealthplanfinder.org is $6,800. I'm not sure where you bought yours but that alone is worth the switch. The most expensive coverage I found (for example reasons):

Premium - $1,481.46/Mo. - $17,777.52
Deductible - $2,200.00
Max Out of Pocket - $9,000.00
Highest amount possible you'd have to pay in a year = $28,977.52 (in network, but I haven't found any hospitals that aren't "in"-network with Premera)

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2016, 07:19:37 PM »
Back to the original question, there's no way you should give up! You're a wealth of knowledge, you're a mentor for that little boy, you'd miss the woods too much. This is just a little speed bump, things will get better, I have to keep telling myself that as well. This year seems to be such a hard year for so many people... but look you've already got numerous offers to link up for camp! That's got to be a warm and fuzzy.

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2016, 07:46:20 PM »
John, don't give up the good fight! Hang in there and if you ever need anything don't hesitate to give me a ring. I'm only a few blocks down the road afterall. Even if it's just to chat and want some good company or maybe a vacuum bag of some more brisket for those rough nights where you don't got time to cook a good hearty meal but want something good to eat.  8) hope things pick up for you and your wife. Don't ever hesitate to give me a ring.

Justin

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:07 PM »
Keep your chin up! No need to quit hunting but a season off to get your head on straight might be in order. I'm sorry to hear that things are so rough right now but they will get better!

It's not immediate money but you'll be able to write off all the medical bill from this year so you can get some money back there. It might lower your AGI so you could get some relief the following year in the healthcare dept.

The wife and I are trying to trim down our finances as well, cancel the paper, trim down getting coffe out, things like that.

Good luck to you and I hope things smooth out so you can at least do some road hunting this year.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
Don't give up. You have too much to give, and to get from hunting.

That insurance issue is a tough one. I know many others are faxing similar situations.

Maybe elk is out this year for you but you can at least get out with some others that I'm sure would welcome your company.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline rjmcm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
sorry to hear about all that has happened. I am pushing sixty and I am slowing down but still love the outdoors.  my wife uses a cpap and I just grab my deep cycle battery and a small inverter (400 watts) and she is good to go for several nights.  the battery can be charged from the car if it needs to be longer than that. hang in there

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
Pman,
I'll gladly join you on a hunt.  You name the date and time and we can go together.

I'm praying for you and the Mrs.  Let me know how I can help you.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 06:21:45 AM »
The last thing you should do is give up on something you love because other, non-related life circumstances have you down.  I have found that things have a way of working out as long as I don't give up.
I like to think that I'll be hunting till the day I die... even if I can't spend the full season in the woods or even walk.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  Adapt, overcome and get it done.

Thank you. I will hold off making any decisions about my hunting future. More of a vent and you guys have really helped me remember the strength I have to slog through.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »
Don't give up, Piano!  We're here for you!  You and your wife will be in my thoughts and prayers for sure.  Let me know if I can do anything. 

As for future hunting, don't make any big decisions now.  Handle the health issues, and the woods and waters will be waiting for you in the future!   

You're a fine person, EB. You've been there for me before and I know you're there now. Thank you.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 06:24:26 AM »
Can't offer up anything to help on the money situation but as all others have said I'd go hunting if possible. Even if just a day trip helps to recharge the batteries. Wish you luck.  :tup:

Thank you CSA. I might possibly take you up on your kind offer.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 06:25:36 AM »
Sounds like a bad year for sure  hopefully things turn around.

I have a CPAP as well ii run it off my trucks batteries, with either a inverter, or a 12vdc cable I bought from the manufacture, that plugs into my lighter.

I don't have a serious elk camp just yet. But your more then willing to join us in rimrock anytime!

It doesn't drain the truck battery overnight? Thanks for the partner offer. I will probably be taking up someone on one of these. I appreciate it so much.

Nope, I went 3 days on a regular car battery in the past, they don't take up much power at all. fact is I think I even used a cheap jump box from harbor freight one night to run it, and it didn't drain that.

Very good to know. I'd much rather run silent at night. Thanks for the info.  :tup:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 06:27:15 AM »
Premium - $1/Mo. - 12,000.00
Meds (no coverage) - $600/mo total - 7,200.00
Deductible is 12,700.00 + 20% of everything thereafter or 50% non-network

Oh yikes! Switch your plan asap! Open enrollment is coming up and there's no reason you should have that medical plan, especially knowing all the medical issues your wife is facing for the upcoming year. It's not a side job but you'd be saving a lot of money by researching as much as possible for next year's medical. Pay for the higher premium and get Gold coverage, I pay for the absolute highest one I can, my max out of pocket is $4,500 a year and it's usually met by February, so the rest of the year everything is 100% covered for me.

The highest deductible listed for a plan on www.wahealthplanfinder.org is $6,800. I'm not sure where you bought yours but that alone is worth the switch. The most expensive coverage I found (for example reasons):

Premium - $1,481.46/Mo. - $17,777.52
Deductible - $2,200.00
Max Out of Pocket - $9,000.00
Highest amount possible you'd have to pay in a year = $28,977.52 (in network, but I haven't found any hospitals that aren't "in"-network with Premera)

Yeah, we're going to get a better plan to start 2017. One health issue a year has made the high deductible plan OK/borderline. Three has completely blown it out and neither of us seem to be getting any younger.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]