collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Warm(ish) Weather "after the shot" care  (Read 6930 times)

Offline EMPyre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Warm(ish) Weather "after the shot" care
« on: October 04, 2007, 10:02:58 AM »
Ok, I'm looking for a bit of advice from the veterans outthere.  i'm new to big game (second season) and hoping to bring something home this year.  My question has to do with what to do with an animal after it has be dispatched, and field dressed.  Primarily I'm concerned with storing the animal in the warmer weather that we'll likely see during the day.  I've seen plety of people hanging deer but I'm concerned about spoilage.  Should I be quatering and/or butchering down that deer ASAP and getting packed on ice?  What is everyones thought, advice, techniques with after shot care/prep.  Thanks.
Erich
Erich with an H

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Warm(ish) Weather "after the shot" care
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 10:12:46 AM »
skin off asap...stored in shade, then quartered at least and on ice asap. ours is hung in a garage usually only overnight then processed and iced down in a cooler.
we usually hunt out of the house though, so i'm curious to see what happens at deer camp.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 10:33:13 AM »
At elk camp this year, dealing with eastern wa heat in September we gutted the animal (lets just say, flys and yellowjackets find bodies way too fast), skinned, quartered it and took misc meat (helped in the pack out too, obviously), put in game bags, packed it back to camp. Then we deboned the quarters and put them in coolers with ice, wrapped in plastic bags. Next day (since it was late in the day both times we bagged an elk) we took the meat down to the butchers. Seemed to work just peachy. I would expect a person could do the same with deer, no problem.

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »
For Deer: We field dress the animal. Then get it back to camp and hang it in a tree. From there we get the skin off. Then its time to remove the loins, next the front shoulders and then we cut off all the misc meat. Now time to hit the Hint quarters, I start by cutting around the pelvic and seperate the hip joint. repeat for the other.
As all the meat is coming off it is going into a cooler with ice. The deboning on the front and hind quarters happens as soon as I get home (sometimes the day after, depending on the time I get home). Then It's time to cut and wrap.

For Elk: I hope to find out in Nov. but will follow most of this.

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 03:21:26 PM »
Let the temp and weather decide on your hang time. Colder the weather longer hang time. Ive read 42 degrees and lower up to 10 days. For the most part it's 3 on average for me. Just make sure it's clean from hair and other spoilers and you'll be good  ;)
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:44:06 PM »
Over here in Maryland because it doesn't get cold as soon as it does back there I will usually bone the deer out the same day if I shoot it early in the morning, if I tag one late evening I will let it hang over night wrapped in agame bag with fans blowing on it if the temp drops down into the 40s if not then I am boning it out and wrapping it in plastic and placing in the fridge until the next morning and then it is into the grinder and into game bags and inthe freezer, I would like to build or buy a walk in cooler to let the game hang for at least a week if not a little longer to let the meat age, the longer you let it age the better it will be.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline ZEN

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:30:36 PM »
CAn meat "age" after being cut and processed into steaks and such?  Seems like a Yes.  Is it the air that lets it age and dry or can it "age" after it's bagged up?  I'd like to bone the meat, wash it, dry it (somehow.?.) and pack it all on ice until I get home.  Just want to hunker down and have it labeled and done.  Anyone do something like that?

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
bear with me as I only have about 20 deer under my belt. first off, the temp is what is going to determine your actions. I would not stress if daytime temps are 60 or less, and it gets into the low 40'-30's at night. I used to skin nothing as far as deer go till I cut it, which is typically 7-10 days after the kill @ 40-50* daytime temps (45* meat temp) now I skin right away. it has more to do with cutting out the bloodshot meat than anything else for me, get it out quick and it stinks much less.  I can't even imaging boning out a deer in october for fear of spoiling, UNLESS, I wsa looking at a long car ride home. I can hose my deer off with water when I skin it and it gets all the hair that fell on it off. I then just hang it and wait. after a few days you can "feel" the meat and get an idea of its setup. when it is at the desired tenderness.....cut, wrap, and enjoy!

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 10:15:37 PM »
Cold air will allow the meat to air dry almost like how salami is made. The longer it ages the more tender it will be. If it the meat is cold down to between 34 and 43 degree it can age for several weeks, do not freeze the meat as it will stop the ageing process and do not let the meat warm up above 43 as it will start to rot.

Before I cut the meat up I will wash it with a mixture of vinager and water this will help kill any bacteri that may have got on the meat. Also ground black pepper will work to keep flies or any other bugs off the meat.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:33:04 AM »
Before I cut the meat up I will wash it with a mixture of vinager and water this will help kill any bacteri that may have got on the meat

We do this right after skinning and cleaning. I don't like to add any moisture before cutting.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:41:53 AM »
Before I cut the meat up I will wash it with a mixture of vinager and water this will help kill any bacteri that may have got on the meat

We do this right after skinning and cleaning. I don't like to add any moisture before cutting.

Agree.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
so with evening temps of 35-40, daytime temps of 50-60(hopefully) and the animals hung inside a barn that manages to stay pretty cool...am i good for a couple days hanging assuming the animal is skinned?
i usually only leave them hang for a day, 2 at the most because i'm freaking out about the daytime temps.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline ZEN

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 05:58:27 PM »
my dilemma would be to take a deer late (3rd day of a 3day hunt)and have to head back past Seattle where it will be reasonably warm during the day over the next few weeks.  Does a clean/empty fridge calibrated a 38 degrees count as a good environment for hanging quarters maybe? Regulated temp seems cool.  Good size tray in the bottom.  what about ventilation? Refrigerators breath don't they?

Offline wrangler

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 10:37:58 PM »
stop freaking out. kill it, skin it, bag it and hang it and continue on with filling you're buddies tags. your meat will be just fine, assuming you do all the before mentioned in a timely mannor, save the whiskey for after the hard part is done.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 10:43:01 AM »
I think you should hang Deer/Elk quartered or not for at least 3 days, I like up to 5 days if its cool below 45Deg. .  Field dress, skin, blood spoiled meet out, hang, when you start to get just a touch of mold on the fatty layer, its time to process.  If you take meat to early it will be gamey, and stringy. 
  As far as bacteria goes, your going to cook it right,  dont worry about it unless you get a lot of hair, urine/gut fluids on the meat.  Just be safe in preparation, 150 deg.+ when you cook.
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal