collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ouchfoss 2016-17 Season  (Read 43317 times)

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Ouchfoss 2016-17 Season
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
I was wanting to try beaver last year, but I needed cat bait more then meat. I filled both my elk and deer tags this year. So I really don't need the meat. That being said I'm still planning on trying it this year. I've had cougar before and that tastes amazing. I've always wondered if bobcat tastes anywhere near as good. If I'm able to trap one this year I will plan on trying it as well.  Does anyone have a favorite recipe they want to share.
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
I'll start saving all my rat hind legs for you.  You can serve up some rat wings at your super bowl party :chuckle:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 08:22:22 PM »
I won't be cooking any muskrat though. No matter how good you make them sound   :chuckle:
They are pretty good eating I must say but the hind legs are the only thing worth really cooking plus the bones are kind of big. I was thinking if you got several of them it might be good to cook them like hot wings.  :tup:
is possum any good?
I've never eaten one but I know down south a lot of people eat them and I hear they're delicious. Oddly enough, they are really rare around here. :dunno:
we have them all over down here.....
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
Lol. I wouldn't worry about it. Just use the rats for cat bait. Cats are better eating anyhow.  :chuckle:

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
beaver is good. whats not to like about eating beaver?
Believe it or not, some people have no idea what they're missing.  :chuckle:
I need a shirt that says that....
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »
I was wanting to try beaver last year, but I needed cat bait more then meat. I filled both my elk and deer tags this year. So I really don't need the meat. That being said I'm still planning on trying it this year. I've had cougar before and that tastes amazing. I've always wondered if bobcat tastes anywhere near as good. If I'm able to trap one this year I will plan on trying it as well.  Does anyone have a favorite recipe they want to share.
All I've done is cut it into thin steaks or even stir fry size and fry it in oil and put salt, pepper and garlic powder on it and eat that with Heinz 57. Awesome!  :tup:

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 07:57:04 AM »
All I've done is cut it into thin steaks or even stir fry size and fry it in oil and put salt, pepper and garlic powder on it and eat that with Heinz 57. Awesome!  :tup:

You lost me at Heinz 57.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Well my plan tonight was to make beaver tacos but my wife talked me into chili instead. Cut the meat into small half inch size chunks and fried it with salt pepper and onions and then added it to some homemade chili with red beans. :tup: Very good eats!
The meat itself tasted almost like deer meat but had no game flavor at all. I trimmed all the fat and tendon pieces off before cooking which is usually where most of the gamey flavor is anyhow. Now that I have a decent amount of bait meat I think I'm going to trim off all the hind quarter meat from anyore beavers I get and throw it in the freezer. Maybe grind it up into burger or sausage when season is over with.

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Proud holder of 110 Zardos points!
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 09:19:38 PM »
Looks awesome I kind of want to try smoked beaver jerky when I get one

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »
Looks awesome I kind of want to try smoked beaver jerky when I get one

Jerky sounds good but I don't know if that's the best idea. Reason being is you need to fully cook beaver meat to make 100% safe. Kind of why they say not make jerky out of bear or pork. I'm sure if you get it thin enough and make sure it gets hot enough it wouldn't be a problem.  :twocents:

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 10:00:28 AM »
I was think thin steaks on the grill with charcoal and peeled alder cook low and slow till its dry. With seasonings of course. Same way I cook beef steaks just leave it on the heat longer to get it dry

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
I was think thin steaks on the grill with charcoal and peeled alder cook low and slow till its dry. With seasonings of course. Same way I cook beef steaks just leave it on the heat longer to get it dry
That would probably be perfect! Sounds good!
The first time I really cooked bobcat was on my cousin's propane grill two years ago and he had some bbq glaze I used (cannot remember what the brand was though) and I cut it into 1/2" steaks and chunks and brazed it for a few minutes and then cooked it kind of low for 45 minutes before taking it off the grill. That was probably some of the best wild game I have ever eaten! That's why I save every morsel of bobcat meat I can.   

Offline Norman89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
Either plain salt and pepper or either Tony's Cajun seasoning or bone suckin sauce are my favorites for alp meats. Make anything taste good with them haha

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »
Not a bad day!  :chuckle:
Only had five traps out and all were sprung. Not sure why the one had nothing in it.
That edge set produced again though! I decided to put two traps there after I got the first beaver the other day.
I also had a cat set at the first beaver spot and it was sprung as well but it was obviously from a civet.

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 02:09:58 PM »
Now the work begins

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal