collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose Photo Safari  (Read 10636 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Moose Photo Safari
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:51:23 PM »
Well as most of you know I headed for the North woods this week/weekend.  It didn't turn out nearly as nice as I wished it had.  Idabooner couldn't join me, and the two boys on here that dogged me, well they'll get theirs later. ;)

I left at O man hundred its early and arrived into the moose woods at about 10.  It wasn't long before I was where Booner dumped his namesake.  There was lots of moose sign, but no one was talking.  I didn't know if it was the time of day or what.  It was pretty stormy and hovering about 32 degrees, so didn't know what to expect.  The country was gorgeous but no moose....

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Moose Photo Safari
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 02:04:48 PM »
so then it was up the road.  I decided since it was the middle of the day I'd log some miles.  I headed for the Washington/Idaho line.  Just about 50 yards from the line, I stopped and called and had a moose come in.  He was coming hard when I heard a rig coming. CRAP, my truck was in the middle of the road.....bear in mind I hadn't seen anyone in the woods all day.  I started the truck and moved to the side of the road, and no rig showed up.  Also no moose.  Lesson learned.  I went into the Washington side and heard a bull bugle.  I started working on him.  Yep, moose horn aside, bearmanrics call out.  He wasn't moving so I went to him.  It was about a 350 bull.  Sorry guys....no pics, it was pouring rain.  I took this pic while talking to him, then it started to pour.  incidently, someoen bagged a moose right there as well.

I went down the road and jumped a 180 class muley.  Of course..NO PIC.  They don't get big by standing there.  talk about tough country to hunt.  No wonder he was big.  I continued down the road and it was pushing about 2pm.  I was going down the road when I noticed some brush a bull had just hooked with his antelrs.  I went a few yards further and noted a possible lick along the road.  I went about 50 yards and then parked it.  What was about to happen is incredible.  I left the camera sitting in the truck because it was still raining.  I checked out the lick and it reaked of moose piss.  There were tracks there fairly fresh, so I figure I'd give a call and if he answered, I'd go grab the camera.  I let out a soft cow called.  HOLY HELL!!! Here he comes.  He was up the ridge about 80 yards under a big snag.  Trees were swaying as he pushed through.  I ran as fast as I could to get to my truck.  I'm sure he beat me to the road and wondered what the heck.  He slipped back into the brush and I slipped back up the road.  I called again and he answered me.  Right then, the sky opened up into one of the biggest hail storms I have ever been in.  It just pummled down.  I took one pic of the "bull" in the trees with the hail, then tucked my camera under my arm and huddled up under a big tree.  The open spot was where the lick was.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 02:16:06 PM »
Anyhow, I was sitting there waiing out the storm as was the bull.  Then there was a flash.  Lightnign struck the snag the bull HAD been standing under when I called him originally.  The snag exploded.  CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I about had a heart attack, as did the bull, who bolted from the trees into the timber I was standing in.  Another flash/CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!  Then after about 30 seconds the hail quit as soon as it had started.  There was about 2 inches of it now.  I called and called, but no bull.
      I finally gave up and headed for one of my favorite places to look for bulls, and where I got a nice muley a couple years ago.  I called and called in between storms, but no moose.  I spotted a nice buck, but guess what. NO PICS.  It got dark so I headed for where Dad got his bull.  The weather was so frickin nasty that after I finally got a bonfire going, I decided I didn't want to set up my four season tent.  All hell with, and slept in my cab.  I woke up to solid fog.  Again, I ran the guantlet, but no bulls.  I left never to return to this mecca.  I went to where I had shot my bull.  On the way I came to a spot to call.  There was fresh sign there, and a skid road.  Nice bull track.  I walked a ways up this road and it changed direction just as it hit a bench.  I let out a grunt and HOLY CRAP, here "he come".  grunt grunt grunt..... I couldn't figure which lane to set up, moved about 5 steps and out of the brush where I was just standing erupted a cow moose.  She was expecting to get laid, not see me.  She bolted and continued up the mountain.  By this time I had my monopod almost extended, and was turning on the camera, and last years calf erupted from the brush.  Just for the record, even a cow moose looks big at 15 feet.  meanwhile grunt grunt grunt......  My camera was finally on, and up and out ran the bull.  Focus as he is walking away and.....

he grunted a few more times and we talked a bit, but he was wanting to be with his lady, who was somewhere now on the mountain.  Meanwhile I was getting tired of changing my shorts.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 02:21:52 PM »
I continued the moose adventure, but no one was talking.  The weather continued its fun stuff, and eventually it got cold enough to start snowing.  I finally got to where I shot my moose, and it was cold and crunchy.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:28:40 PM »
Many miles later.....I was back in Washington.  I had decided that I had enough of the foul weather.  Back on the Washington side, I ran into a nice dark chocolate bear.  He was perfectly legal, and had a beautiful fur, but I was more interested in bagging a few pics.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 02:35:30 PM »
While I was sitting there watching the beautiful bear, I heard a buck tear into a tree somewhere behind me.  i couldn't see him, so got back to my truck and turned it around from where I was at.  I was telling the story over in my head trying to explain how I knew it was a buck versus an elk or a moose, and THERE HE WAS.  It was surreal.  His antlers, his face.  Of course...digital camera has to have on time, and when it came on, he moved....

but then I got him....

and then there was more...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 02:42:11 PM »
I had enough of this country and checked out another Washington haunt.  The moose hunters were out and so were the loggers.  Its always fun to see them logging where you like to hunt.  I managed to catch a nice bull, about 280 class, but he was too quick, along with his herd of about 5 cows.  I had enough of the piss poor weather, and headed for home.  I rounded the corner and here was a GIANT BEAR taking a dump in the road.  I tried to get his picture, but hsould have been trying to get him in the crosshairs.  I got neither.  Then down the around another 100 miles or so out in the coulee country I spotted a bear sleeping in the meddle of a hillside.  Of course, more camera turn on time, and he was up and moving.  I should have shot this little fellar as well, but who wants to skin a stinky bear.  i sure like the ole 35mm. No turn on time.  I missed out on quite a few shots.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 02:46:18 PM »
The end!
( except for my entry in the worlds smallest buck contest)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 02:48:31 PM »
and just for those who think I am a wimp......when you don't have a tag in your pocket, and the camera doesn't work in wet conditions..... this crap is miserable and very very WET

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 02:48:45 PM »
Great report and photos. You've seen more animals in one outing than I see in a season. I am in the wrong places  :bash:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
yeah...what i figured. pretty happy i was stuck here.
that looks like a horrible way to spend a few days...real sorry about the bad weather.
 :bash:

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »
You've seen more animals in one outing than I see in a season
i already mentioned that to him.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:16 PM »
You should see how many miles I have logged onto my truck.  Not your typical road hunter either.  Lots of travel to some pretty cool places, many of them in state.  As soon as Jackelope signs that waiver...... :)

Now if I could just get them thing to cooperate so that I could get them on film.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
Sweet story and pics, you had quite the adventure.  Good thing I wasn't  with you though, we would have been skinning out that first bear you posted a picture of, he was PERFECT in my eyes. 
Maybe next year......

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
Yep, I figured you might like him.  He was a deep dark chocolate.  It didn't show real well in the pics.  He spent most of his time about 200 yards below me.  Lots of time for a perfect shot.  The second bear was a bear of a lifetime.  Black, but HUGE.....I mean HUGE.  the third one would have been the easiest pack.  I first saw him I thought he was a bedded cow.  I hadn't seen any range cattle, so checked it out.  It would have been a good picture.  Its getting nap time, especially when your belly is full. I probably should have tagged that first one. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]