collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swarovski Optics Questions  (Read 13326 times)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Swarovski Optics Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 12:04:20 PM »
The SLC are a lot of glass for the money.   Especially if you pick them up on a sale.

If the ergonomics work for you, I'd go with the SLC HD.
:yeah:
And the 3rd generation slcs have a mostly open bridge design.

Late SLC is a binocular that fits my face very well.  I can sit behind ours comfortably all day for a week. 

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
Some good info and a lot more research left to do. I want to get my hands on some EL's and try them out. I really liked the way the SLC's looked, felt and fit my face. I spent hours and hours a day glassing behind them for a full week and my eyes never wore out. Thanks to everyone for chiming in already.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 01:31:50 PM »
Some good info and a lot more research left to do. I want to get my hands on some EL's and try them out. I really liked the way the SLC's looked, felt and fit my face. I spent hours and hours a day glassing behind them for a full week and my eyes never wore out. Thanks to everyone for chiming in already.

I'd loan you mine if you were closer.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
I think you answered your own question there my friend :tup: 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 02:14:12 PM »
Still gotta do my due diligence amigo!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »

Don't get in a hurry and budget a little time to make sure you purchase the one that gives you what you are looking to achieve.  In the years to come, you will be happy you did. 

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »

Don't get in a hurry and budget a little time to make sure you purchase the one that gives you what you are looking to achieve.  In the years to come, you will be happy you did.

I have several months before I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm tired of paying the dummy tax on gear. I want quality that will last for years.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Its been several years but a buddy and I compared 10x42 SLC and EL side by side.  We couldn't detect any difference in resolution, side by side the EL view was slightly red and the SLC slightly green - only noticeable tinting when both there to compare. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 03:59:35 PM »
Its been several years but a buddy and I compared 10x42 SLC and EL side by side.  We couldn't detect any difference in resolution, side by side the EL view was slightly red and the SLC slightly green - only noticeable tinting when both there to compare.

Awesome, good info.

Offline jjhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
New SLC HD and Swarovision are upgrades over the previous versions.  Make sure you compare "apples to apples"

I've owned and hunted them all.  It will most likely come down to ergonomics.  If you are going to tripod mount, the SLC adapter is much sturdier.  The outdoorsman stud on the el frame works, but puts additional stress on the front hinge and can come loose which can be a pain in ass to re tighten in the field. 

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »
At one time years ago there wasn't much difference in the glass between the SLCs and the ELs, the ELs were much lighter in the weight dept. I don't think that's the case anymore with the ELs being better, not that I thought it was possible. :)

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »

That slight difference in color tint is what I referenced above regarding Swaro's attempt to optimize the coatings on these binocular lines toward their end user's needs.  That being said, it is just one more little thing Swaro does to respond to their customer and no one listens to their customer's more attentively.  That is what makes them great! 

Does that mean that you are giving up some value in going EL as opposed to SLC?  Not if there were other features that lead you to go EL except that you wanted "the best."  No one but you knows if you are going to get the added value in "buying up" except you AFTER you have checked both out. 

My choice is a Nikon EDG and it too is optimized to give a "true to life" color rendition and not (very slightly) emphasize the brown color and make it stand out from green and dry grass just a little better, as the SLC coating is designed to do. 

Other features were where I found value and that drove my choice.  I also use our SLC and it lacks the field flattener lens group that the EL and the EDG has.  That gives me a little  better edge sharpness over the SLC, and I liked how they fit me just a little better than the other offerings I was considering.

The tripod mounting of the SLC rocks.  That could make it your choice, or maybe not.  That is for you to decide.  If you are in this market,you are not  in for a dime, you are in for a dollar, and the price differential should not drive you one way or the outher... unless you just cannot get there and your decision matrix suggests that you are willing to give up something you are willing to trade in order to start using them.  But, you are there in being ready to spend to have something that (and let's be clear, Alpha glass simply does not leave room for major improvement any longer) meets, and hopefully will exceed, your needs.

Please do go to the link and understand "globe effect" or rolling ball phenomenon as it is sometimes referred to.  See if you are someone who notices that with binoculars that have a field flattener lens group.  Or maybe just with some that do. 

If I am judging correctly this will be your primary binocular from here on out, and you want to get it right before making that kind of commitment. 

Make no mistake about what I am saying re: the future.  Swaro will not rest on their laurels and will continue to look for ways to squeeze every last drop of what is possible out and improve on what is on the market today.  What is there to be had in the future is simply never going to be "leaps and bounds" above what you purchase, there simply isn't room for that.   

Get the best Alpha binocular for you and you are never going to need to upgrade in order to get a really "eye popping" improvement.  In fact, I will go as far as to say that before it is possible to step up enough to even notice any slight improvement you would have to sell what you are going to have to sell, what you buy today, and put as much money as you are about to spend today along side what you will get for selling what you have in order to realize a difference that you will have to work real hard to see.  Alpha binoculars are just that good today. 

You are set on Swaro, and I am certain that between these two lines of Alpha binoculars from Swaro you can realize your goal.  Just do what you are doing and take your sweet time until your mind is made up and understand the differences in both lines and prioritize the features of each that you appreciate over the other and you will come out of this very happy that you made the right decision whether it is EL or SLC. 

Offline go4steelhd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »
I have both. In fact a pair of 8x30 slc for my wife, and 10x40 slc that I sold to a buddy, and I run the 12x50 swarovision. What I have found is the el are clearer with greater detail if something is In a shaded area. The 12s are great for deer at over 500 yards in the high country. They take some getting use to because every thing seems so close. So you have to slow down a bit more than with 10s.
I'm not sure if you come over this way much but if you do I can put them both on a tripod for you. And you can see what you think. You will notice the biggest difference at dark and ranges over 500 yards. :twocents: :twocents:
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2017, 07:53:02 PM »
I have EL Swarovisions, have looked through the ELs before them. No matter what way you go, Swaro makes great glass!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal