collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Utter beginner looking for hunters to partner/learn with  (Read 6854 times)

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Utter beginner looking for hunters to partner/learn with
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 10:46:04 PM »
If you're still looking for hunting partners come the fall, PM me.  I am a wilderness hunter, so a bit of hiking.  But I do scouting trips in the summer into Alpine Lakes and William O Douglass.  Sometimes up north near Methow Valley.  I hunt all weapons, all seasons (love the multi-season tag).  I run out of hunting partners that have the time to put into the woods, so am open to adding others. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:05:50 AM »
I don't know....a few years ago I saw a pic of a buck a guy arrowed pretty close to town. It was a hog for sure. Now....is there plenty of area to find not that far away...yes. Just gotta find a nook or two. OP and I are scheduled for a brew soon....now that my go to banging rock method is blown I'll have to go to plan B. ;)
:chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 07:23:42 AM »
If your gona hunt black tail buy the book Blacktail Trophy Tactics 2 by Boyd Iverson. Read it asap and get out in the woods now!

After season is a great time to get out because deer are still acting like they do in late season and the woods look similar.  Rifle hunting means you need to go find big timber to hunt so up in the woods for scouting.
:yeah: Boyd Iverson has 2 good books. Also one by Scott Haugen is pretty good. If you get some fresh snow and can get out, find some tracks and follow them. See what it's doing, where it's going, and try to figure out why. Blacktail are fun but the bucks can be really nocturnal in some areas. Spend all your free time in the woods. Good luck.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
I don't know....a few years ago I saw a pic of a buck a guy arrowed pretty close to town. It was a hog for sure. Now....is there plenty of area to find not that far away...yes. Just gotta find a nook or two. OP and I are scheduled for a brew soon....now that my go to banging rock method is blown I'll have to go to plan B. ;)

Did you guys ever meet up for a beer?  Any interest in planning a get together in a few weeks for the folks in Snohomish/Everett areas?  I've got a month or so before the garden will take up my weekends!

Offline Highmountaindan

• Go where people don't
  • Tracker
  • my picture is not upside down
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 09:00:36 PM »
Did anything come of this? Meet up and talk shop? It would be nice, we could meet up at the Ram restaurant in tulalip if that works for folks. If it does I will throw a date out there and whoever shows up shows  up.
If the shoe fits! Wear it)( Its not the grades you make but the hands you shake! favorite podcasts are meat eater, jay scott outdoors and hunt backcountry podcast by exo mountain gear.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 09:03:56 PM »
I'm in....busy month for me but let's get it going.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 09:36:43 PM »
Just post a date, time, and location.  People will show.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 10:31:19 PM »
I'm going to be heading east for deer this year, ping me if you are up for a drive.  The goal will be to harvest something and set up a hunt that can be replicated every year.  We won't be looking for B&C animals, but for a quality hunt on something legal.

I'm also up for a beer if someone wants to schedule it.  Ram, Skookum, wherever.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 06:37:38 AM »
When I draw my Quality bull permit you're welcome to tag along.  I'll be needing help with the calling and packing.

Offline Highmountaindan

• Go where people don't
  • Tracker
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 06:45:16 AM »
Wednesday the 10th at the ram in tulalip. Try to meet up by 6:00?
If the shoe fits! Wear it)( Its not the grades you make but the hands you shake! favorite podcasts are meat eater, jay scott outdoors and hunt backcountry podcast by exo mountain gear.

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
Thanks for the reading suggestion, T. As my thread also says, I'm in the same General area and would love to get together with a bunch of local hunters to pick up a few pointers about hunting in Snohomish.

Cheers,
Jim

The first thing to know about hunting in snohomish... is not to hunt is snohomish. You want to go further from town down hwy 9 or 2. Go either way until you stop seeing people. Then get out and walk a couple miles from the road. Do this early in the morning and right before dark until you start seeing Deer (find vantage points to look, walk very slow and silent etc.). Rinse and repeat until hunting season. If you start seeing Deer, watch a youtube video on how to clean it. Good luck!

If you think you are walking slow, walk slower, and then slower again.  You'll be amazed at how quietly a deer can jump from their bed and run off.  It makes a certain sound and once you recognize it you'll realize how many deer are out there.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Highmountaindan

• Go where people don't
  • Tracker
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »
Looks like three guys are commited? Am I right?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 09:05:17 AM »
That's funny that the beginning topic starts with "Utter beginner"
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
I'm 90% positive that I can make it.
@jkthomps

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal