collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting started!  (Read 6840 times)

Offline Paxton2016

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Getting started!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Ok thank you guys for the pointers.. any one interested in reducing their pack? Lol

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Ok thank you guys for the pointers.. any one interested in reducing their pack? Lol

There are some houndsmen pages on Facebook that have pup trainers for sale quite often, BUT be forewarned, be very picky on the dog you pick to be your pup trainer.  Go and hunt with the dog.  You do not want a dog that is going to teach your pups bad habits and or hurt them from being cranky.  Good luck and keep us posted on how you guys are doing.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 08:54:02 AM »
I would definitely not got the telemetry route, go on outdoor dog supply and pick up a used 220 and a used dc40 should total less than 300 if I remember right . I don't believe in the pup trainer route, why let someone else's dog teach your dog everything it knows? Can you really be proud of your dog after that? There is all kinds of books and articles on how to train a Coon hound. There is a very good one on Volkswagen.com. read that stuff and work with your pup now. Then every time something clicks in your dogs head and they accomplished something you will feel it was just you and your dog, a very rewarding time.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Coondawgs.com.     auto correct got me

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
pm me if interested I have and extra garmin 220 with a dc-30 collar I will sell you. I would personally avoid the dc-40 as the only one I had seemed to lack range and I often lost contact with my dog. Garmin is not "supporting" the 220 anymore which means you cant update them on the computer anymore. Everything works good but I think I have less range tracking since they quit allowing updates. If you are just coon hunting you should not have any problem tracking your dog with the set-up. I also have telemetry tracker and collars if you want to go old school beepers huge range but pretty hard to pinpoint exact locations of dogs. Training your pup yourself has the advantage of not buying someone elses problems with a trainer dog but will definitely take more time. I have purchased older dogs and trained my own from puppies and I have enjoyed hunting the ones I trained myself the most. Training from scratch is more rewarding but also the dog will hunt and handle how YOU want and that has been more fun for me         

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
Definitely nothing wrong with dc 40s, I currently use strictly dc 40s and have no issues. I out track my hunting partners with they're alphas all the time. But the long range antennas and you will track just as good as all the other GPS collars out there with long range antennas. I used the 220 up until this last fall and it also is just as capable as all the other handhelds ad far as tracking distance and accuracy just don't overtighten the antenna or they brake internally.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Definitely nothing wrong with dc 40s, I currently use strictly dc 40s and have no issues. I out track my hunting partners with they're alphas all the time. But the long range antennas and you will track just as good as all the other GPS collars out there with long range antennas. I used the 220 up until this last fall and it also is just as capable as all the other handhelds ad far as tracking distance and accuracy just don't overtighten the antenna or they brake internally.

That's interesting I only had one but had bad luck with it. Some of my buddys said they had issues too.  I do have the long range antenna. I have 2 220s and agree they work fine but I have been losing range since I cant update anymore? anyways I have a 320 now so I am selling a 220 with the dc-30 collar if anyone wants it and all the telemetry stuff you want! 

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »
I never had a problem not being able to update the 220 but if you don't update the dc 40 s then that's no good they are literally unusable. Now I have a 320 but still only use dc 40s. No issues, I really like the dc 40 s. It's easy to take the box of the cheesy strap and put it on a real collar with a name tag and ring.

Offline Paxton2016

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 03:46:11 PM »
Idaho guy I am interested in the collar I tried sending you a pm

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]