collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A real rhino mount!!!  (Read 11498 times)

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: A real rhino mount!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 07:44:44 PM »
And here we go.....^

Sweet mounts. Would be cool to find out the legalities of having/obtaining the rhino! Good luck to u, at the very least hope it ends up in an appreciative place.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
If those mounts could talk....wish I had could have talked to the hunter before he passes, bet he had some cool hunting stories. 

Regardless of what happens, super cool you got to see these in person.  Thanks for sharing the pics.   :tup:

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
:yeah: I watched a documentary about poaching in Africa and it's no joke there.

Recently, a rhino was killed in a French zoo at night and the horn was taken.  Several museums in Europe have been broken into and horns stolen.  It's a big, nasty, violent black market.  I'd very nervous about posting pictures of a horn anywhere, especially if it has a location tag on it.  I'd suggest taking this post down.

Offline JODakota

• BIGtuna
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:58 PM »

Recently, a rhino was killed in a French zoo at night and the horn was taken.  Several museums in Europe have been broken into and horns stolen.  It's a big, nasty, violent black market.  I'd very nervous about posting pictures of a horn anywhere, especially if it has a location tag on it.  I'd suggest taking this post down.

That's a ridiculous request. No law has been broken. The OP just shared a mount of an animal that is no longer allowed to be taken. Would you say the same thing about a polar bear mount?
Not for self, but for country

Offline Man Tracker

• Hunter
    • none
  • Groups: TTOS, DU, Pheasants Forever
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2017, 08:40:46 PM »
You might want to call US Fish and Wildlife Enforcement in Redmond and talk to a federal agent.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »

If the polar bear had a rhino horn worth over $100,000 sticking out of it's head and the picture was tagged with a location, yeah, I would. 
That's a ridiculous request. No law has been broken. The OP just shared a mount of an animal that is no longer allowed to be taken. Would you say the same thing about a polar bear mount?

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »

His concern appears to be for their safety, not legality.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »

Not about laws. Just like posting "i have $300k sittin in my garage and wondering what i should do with it?"

Here for it to be worth something there'd have to be a buyer and so on. Not an easy thing to smuggle around.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 09:09:35 PM »

His concern appears to be for their safety, not legality.

Thanks Joel,

It's also a picture taken inside a private residence/garage of potentially very valuable property.  People make a big stink about not posting pictures of a dead deer or elk that someone else shot without having permission from the hunter, so how is this any different? 

Perhaps he does have permission from the owner, but I think it's highly unlikely that he asked an old lady if he can post her rhino on a hunting forum that he is a member of. 

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 12:20:19 AM »
I saw some beautiful, very antique and legally obtained, ivory pieces in USFWS lockup because someone did not check a box or fill out the correct series of forms in triplicate. They were probably all crushed last year in the USFWS anti-ivory program. It was sad to see them sitting there with all the history, intrinsic beauty, and artistic appreciation of a regal trophy and know they were destined to be destroyed. It would be a shame to see this rhino go the same way.

I worked with a guy last year that had "taken" a rhino in the last few years. He used a tranquilizer gun and had to put up around $200k in bond in case it died on top of his ~$50k  hunt fee. The rhino was destined to be tranqued anyway for research and to be checked out by a vet.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 07:48:09 AM »
It might be a good idea to do some research. Then have a nice talk with the lady about the ramifications of having such a mount. Or maybe talk to her first and see if she would want you to do some research about it. She may already have the answers. But I'm guessing she is clueless about it.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
Wow that is crazy. Looks like a decent set of elk antlers behind the rhino also.

I would make sure she is okay with you posting pics. I don't see any location data attached to that photo but I am sure there are people out there that would love to know the location of that and would do some bad things to get that horn.

Just my :twocents:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »
So just for the record I did ask if I could take a few pix of the rhino and I also asked if she minded If I shared the pic to get some info. She said she did not care. Sorry if I offended anybody by posting a picture of a mount..
    Can any of you tell me where exactly this rhino is located by the picture I posted? Can any of you even tell what state I'm currently in? Thanks for the safety concerns though..

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
Anyone can. I'm not on the computer, just my iPhone.

Offline Wolfdog2314

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 09:39:05 AM »
A buddy of mine just showed me how to find exactly where a photo was taken, with an iPhone. He pulled up an out of state hunting picture I sent him last season. He was able to see exactly where I killed a buck 1000 miles away via the location services. A game warden buddy of his showed him how to do it. Apparently how they catch some poachers.  I suggest everyone turn off their "sharing location services" before sending and posting pics. I had a little fun with it looking thru old messages, was able to find a buddy's turkey honey hole spot.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]