collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pulled Venison  (Read 5502 times)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Pulled Venison
« on: May 15, 2017, 11:02:23 PM »
Howdy folks,
I tend to cook a lot and in many different ways.  I've read a few posts on here that seemed to indicate that with slow cooking in a crock pot, venison could break down enough to be pulled apart like a slow roasted pork shoulder or beef chuck. 
I've tried cooking venison in a crock pot a few different times, low setting for 4-6 hours and the cuts have not broken down to become easily shredded.  I've tried mainly some cuts from the hind quarters.  The venison was great with the seasoning I've tried, but I'm just not sure if this is possible with venison, whether I need to use specific cuts, or if there is just not enough fatty and connective tissue in venison to break down like this. 

I typically submerge a few chunks of well trimmed venison in water with onions, celery, garlic, a few other seasonings, and let it cook slowly.  I don't want to go too long for fear that it might dry out.

Has anyone ever had luck in achieving pulled venison?  Can it be done with only specific cuts (I butcher my own).  How long do you typically cook in a crock pot? 

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dave

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Pulled Venison
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 11:44:49 PM »
I cannot give specifics but my father did well with 2 elk round roasts from the first elk I shot. Both in the crock pot. One was done with a BBQ pulled pork recipe and came out well but not quite as tender as actual pork. I am pretty sure he just followed the same recipe as for pulled pork. The other he did as shredded tacos and that came out fantastic. Again nothing very different about the recipe from beef or pork. I'll hit him up for some specifics and report back.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Online Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:44:05 AM »
Cook it longer  :tup: We do crockpot venison stroganoff. Take about ten hrs for the break down and shred.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:21 AM »
Cook it longer  :tup: We do crockpot venison stroganoff. Take about ten hrs for the break down and shred.

:yeah: if they are cut into steaks, I will also brine and tenderize first. After about 8 hours I can't get them out of the crock pot in one piece.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
I have canned it and then pulled it to make sandwich meats.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »
Howdy folks,
I tend to cook a lot and in many different ways.  I've read a few posts on here that seemed to indicate that with slow cooking in a crock pot, venison could break down enough to be pulled apart like a slow roasted pork shoulder or beef chuck. 
I've tried cooking venison in a crock pot a few different times, low setting for 4-6 hours and the cuts have not broken down to become easily shredded.  I've tried mainly some cuts from the hind quarters.  The venison was great with the seasoning I've tried, but I'm just not sure if this is possible with venison, whether I need to use specific cuts, or if there is just not enough fatty and connective tissue in venison to break down like this. 

I typically submerge a few chunks of well trimmed venison in water with onions, celery, garlic, a few other seasonings, and let it cook slowly.  I don't want to go too long for fear that it might dry out.

Has anyone ever had luck in achieving pulled venison?  Can it be done with only specific cuts (I butcher my own).  How long do you typically cook in a crock pot? 

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dave

Go longer. Pretty much any cut can be braised long enough to shred. How long you go greatly depends on your crockpot and how big the roast you are cooking is. If you grab a bunch of round steak and braise it in order to shred it, it might only take 3 hours. However a large 3 lb roast might take 6 hrs. Don't be a slave to your crockpot either. Use an enameled cast iron dutch oven or doufeu, then you can control the heat if you want the process to go quicker. And you have the added benefit of being able to sear the meat and sauté the veggies a bit before you start braising, therefore creating more flavor. Keep the lid on and replace liquid to keep most of the meat submerged.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
I'd agree with cook longer; but also might look at adding something to it like wine or vinegar.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
Thanks Everyone!

I do add some red wine vinegar.  I think I've just not let it go long enough.  I'll give it a shot this weekend.  I really want to be able to do tacos or pulled venison sandwiches. 
Merkaba, I do use dutch ovens and utilize those techniques when I'm slow roasting in the oven with pork and beef chuck. 

Thanks again everyone, and keep the ideas coming!

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:13 PM »
ive taken venison roasts, and cooked them in the crock pot with onions and a few cans of coca cola.  let them cook that way for 6 ish hours, pull out and shred, then finish in bbq sauce.  easy and tasty 

Offline Buckmark

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 02:55:50 PM »
Pressure cooker all the way......

To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
Thanks Everyone!

I do add some red wine vinegar.  I think I've just not let it go long enough.  I'll give it a shot this weekend.  I really want to be able to do tacos or pulled venison sandwiches. 
Merkaba, I do use dutch ovens and utilize those techniques when I'm slow roasting in the oven with pork and beef chuck. 

Thanks again everyone, and keep the ideas coming!

Pulled Venison Tacos are awesome. Take some chipotle chilis in adobo and dice up two of those chilies. Dice some onions and garlic and sauté in a dutch oven. Add chilies. Move the onion and garlic to the edges and add venison roast and sear. Then add cumin, ancho chili powder, dried oregano and a dash of cinnamon. Then add a few Mexican Cokes as your braising liquid. The coke that comes in a bottle. It's great.
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline wildwood

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
We do pulled venison quit a bit in the crock pot I coat the bottom with oil set the meat in pour a can of cola over it then season with a rib rub.. cook on low for about 8 hours always turns out pretty good

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:30:01 PM »
I just finished trimming a bunch of venison that I thawed.  I'll be starting the crock pot tomorrow morning!  Looking forward to pulled venison tacos tomorrow for supper!  Thanks everyone for the input.  I think the main issue I've had is not allowing the venison to cook long enough. 

Offline Harbor_hunter

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
Another vote for cooking a long time.  Has to cook for at least 6 hours.  7-8 even better. Won't pull at all if you don't cook long enough.

Online Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
I just finished trimming a bunch of venison that I thawed.  I'll be starting the crock pot tomorrow morning!  Looking forward to pulled venison tacos tomorrow for supper!  Thanks everyone for the input.  I think the main issue I've had is not allowing the venison to cook long enough.

Sounds  :drool:
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]