collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking to buy a New Rifle  (Read 16046 times)

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Looking to buy a New Rifle
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »
Sheep and moose are two different hunts with regards to shooting requirements.
I will first state that I have hunted neither.
But the moose is generally a shorter shot at a larger animal, and moose die more easily from what I've read.
Sheep, longer shots, wind, tougher kill, tougher hike, also from what I've read.
If you want one gun, get a .280 AI and start practicing.
This will provide a lighter platform with minimal recoil, good long distance (Sheep) with the muscle to penetrate on moose.
Spend the money on quality and quit fretting.
If you are after Grizzlies (You mentioned bears), go with the .338.
The .338 will not be the ideal sheep rifle, but it's very adequate at up to 400 yards.
It also bucks the wind favorably.
For moose and bear, I would say it is unsurpassed.

Whatever you do, don't scrimp, but don't go overboard.
I was looking to stay more main stream for availability of ammo and components for reloading. Years ago I had a rem 700 in 300wm but with all the recalls I wanted to stay away from them. I still have factory ammo and dies for .300 so I'm dead set on getting a new one.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
As an old fart that has had cataract surgery and can no longer use open sights a scope is a must.  That being said I think that too many people over scope there rifles.   A big game hunter that shoots two or three rounds a season ON GAME makes a poor person to suggest a scope, you can make anything work if that is all you have.

I own two 6.5-20 scopes and a 6-18 scope and they would never end up on a hunting gun other than GS and PD's mine rest on target/varmint guns and my 8-32 is on a target 22 lr.

I hunt coyotes for five months of the year in 3 to five states, many times I take multiple dogs a DAY in every kind of terrain.  my goto scope for coyotes is a 1-4x20 on my combo guns(5.6x50 Mag/12ga & 5.6x52R/12ga, 16ga/16ga/6.x58R) all three are sub MOA rifles with their 1-4 scopes and and true 300 yard capable(6.5x58r excepted as it drops too much for 300 yard work).  MY bolt guns all carry 1.5-6x40's except one with a 2.5-10x40 22-204, 6mm-204 and 22-250.  These are plenty for a critter that is a 10th the size of a small elk or large deer.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2017, 05:23:55 PM »
Why even use a scope on the wet side. A Remington 700 BDL with open sights is flat lethal in the thick stuff and to 200 isn't a problem. I would save a boat load of money if I dumped all my glass and ran 3-9's across the board.  :chuckle: Just don't see it happening.
My eyes aren't what they were 15 years ago when I could take 300 yd shots with open sights now I can't hit 100 with opens. I put a peep on my muzzy and I'm doing great so maybe an option. But on the wet side hear when I hunt black bear I've been lugging around my 6.8 topped with a 3x9 on a quick release I have flip up peep on it and a 2x red dot. I feel well covered on West side hunts. This is mostly going to be used in eastern Washington and maybe Montana if I finally hunt out of state.

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
Great choice  :yeah:  :tup: you can never go wrong with the .300 wm
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 05:42:18 PM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 05:57:29 PM by Curly »
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
If not I have two in the garage for back-up.
Also two 2X7 Vari X II just in case.

I have more used for a 2-7 in close than a 3-9.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 05:48:04 PM »
http:/topic,211483.msg2815094.html#msg2815094

As mentioned earlier, this one sounds real good.
It's listed as sold pending funds.

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 05:59:09 PM »
http:/topic,211483.msg2815094.html#msg2815094

As mentioned earlier, this one sounds real good.
It's listed as sold pending funds.

I had the link messed up. Try this: http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,211483.msg2815094.html#msg2815094
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:04 PM »
getting old really sux...not only is it harder to shoot open sights- as i have on my BLR 358- but the smaller crosshairs on modern scopes seem to be really fuzzy...having to use scopes now that have thicker crosshairs
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 07:39:51 PM »
For a factory rifle it's hard to beat a tikka. They have a great factory trigger that's easily adjustable. The action is already square so if you do want to rebarrel it you have a good starting place unlike some that need trued so it saves you money. The action is extremely smooth. They shoot great out of the box. They are reasonably priced. Fairly light weight to start with so you can throw a heavier scope on if you want and still have a packable rifle.

I own a few different rifles, and for the price a tikka is extremely hard to beat for a hunting rifle.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »
For a factory rifle it's hard to beat a tikka. They have a great factory trigger that's easily adjustable. The action is already square so if you do want to rebarrel it you have a good starting place unlike some that need trued so it saves you money. The action is extremely smooth. They shoot great out of the box. They are reasonably priced. Fairly light weight to start with so you can throw a heavier scope on if you want and still have a packable rifle.

I own a few different rifles, and for the price a tikka is extremely hard to beat for a hunting rifle.

If he were to purchase a Tikka. Then he would end up purchasing a Toyota Tacoma TRD, some Sitka "Attack Pants", a mirror on a telescopic pole so he could check out his own Azz while in the field ( Which could second as a monopod or a treaking pole), a app to find the nearest transgender restroom, some factory Barnes bullet crap ammo offering.  :tup:

Get a Remington and save yourself the discredit!

Offline Jolten

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »

If he were to purchase a Tikka. Then he would end up purchasing a Toyota Tacoma TRD, some Sitka "Attack Pants", a mirror on a telescopic pole so he could check out his own Azz while in the field ( Which could second as a monopod or a treaking pole), a app to find the nearest transgender restroom, some factory Barnes bullet crap ammo offering.  :tup:

Any self respecting man would choose a Savage ;)
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 08:06:14 PM »

Any self respecting man would choose a Savage ;)

Anything but a Tikka! :pee:

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 08:08:25 PM »
Plastic pistols are ok though... 

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2017, 08:21:05 PM »

LMAO

That was pretty dang funny!

Though I won't buy a Remington, and all my hunting rifles run Leopold VX3s (3x9, 3.5x10, etc...), Not to expensive, clear, just the right magnification for hunting anything up to 500 yards, and a great warranty.

The OP did not say his price range, so I will add, of all my rifles, my Sako Finlight in 300 win mag is my go to hunting rifle.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand