collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hard winter?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
Hard winter?
« on: May 23, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
What does a hard winter do to Chuckar? My hunting grounds had a  lot of snow for a long time this winter.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Hard winter?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 07:31:12 PM »
They will be decimated. Tell ya what, give me your spots and I will go check em all out and report back at seasons end. Deal?  :chuckle:

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
They will be decimated. Tell ya what, give me your spots and I will go check em all out and report back at seasons end. Deal?  :chuckle:

I would but I wouldn't want you to waist your time on my crummy spot that used to be so good. :tung:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »
I've noticed a lot less chukars now hiking in E WA and E OR

Normally hear them calling but have heard one yet. I saw quite a few groups driven down to lower rods during heavy snow this past winter. Of course this is purely anecdotal

On a positive note seeing numbers of Huns and grouse on hikes this past month
Have quite a few Huns by the house. Hoping heavy rains stop

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »
Locally in the N. Palouse seeing more CA quail than pheasants or Huns,
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:25:15 AM »
I have read probably close to 5,000 pages on upland bird biology and am no closer to answers on how what makes them vary so much from year to year.  There are so many possible factors involved that I think it is tough to isolate it down to one.  I also think that crowing counts are a terrible way to estimate bird populations, but that is what the biologist do.

That being said, I have observed, and I use this term loosely because it has not scientific at all, that more water in the dry higher elevations, seems to increase the population in these areas.  I had one rancher add a stock tank for a new cow summer range, and the chukar population exploded.  So take that with a grain of salt.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:30:13 AM »
I think spring conditions would affect populations more than winter conditions. ie. hatch conditions.
Cold/wet during the hatch = higher chick mortality.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
Locally in the N. Palouse seeing more CA quail than pheasants or Huns,
This seems to be an increasing trend in the Basin as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 10:11:13 PM »
What does a hard winter do to Chuckar? My hunting grounds had a  lot of snow for a long time this winter.
as long as they can get food, cover and water they will survive. Of the major spots I hunt the pairs have been pretty good.  Agreed on the snow, hunters will cause greater suffering in the hard times. We went out the last day of the season and made it a point to shoot less and observe more. In fact we notice the birds were flying very short distances so let them be after an hour or so. However we saw quit a few idiots down very low on the river trying to decimate the local coveys.  Not my idea of a true sportsman.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2017, 08:54:41 AM »
as long as they can get food, cover and water they will survive. Of the major spots I hunt the pairs have been pretty good.  Agreed on the snow, hunters will cause greater suffering in the hard times. We went out the last day of the season and made it a point to shoot less and observe more. In fact we notice the birds were flying very short distances so let them be after an hour or so. However we saw quit a few idiots down very low on the river trying to decimate the local coveys.  Not my idea of a true sportsman.

i see that too during bird season.Do not understand the need to kill every bird in a covey of huns, quail and chukar. I often see groups of 4 to 5 hunters with 4 to 5 dogs who work and shoot out areas, pockets and kill every bird.Then move to next area.And I saw hunters ground swatting coveys huns and chukar on roads after being driven down to the roads after heavy snows last year.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 06:53:42 AM »

yep, one of those years that I ended up not going out much for them due to the harsh conditions for the birds.
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:38 AM »
In the Wenatchee area we went into the winter with a good population, and probably had above average hunter and natural mortality due to the extended cold winter and bird vulnerability.  Nesting cover has been excellent and bugs are good, so I anticipate a pretty good hatch and survival.  There is no extended cold wet weather in the forecast, which is good - we often get cursed with that around hatch time here.  We had a short, violent heavy rain and thunderstorm Tuesday that had me a bit concerned, but I don't think it did much damage (I watched a brood of 5-7 day old quail this morning which would have been hatchlings, based on a count of 14 I feel somewhat reassured).   
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2017, 09:34:02 PM »
Good to hear, I will be scouting in a few weeks and report back findings.  No dogs of course...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]