collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A better point system - no points  (Read 25530 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: A better point system - no points
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »
I pretty much agree with ScottE. It doesn't really matter what is done to change the system, if you have the same number of permits available, they aren't going to suddenly become easier to draw. Although I could see drawing odds for antlerless permits increased if people could only apply in one category per species.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2017, 09:40:22 AM »
With point build up, many people seem to feel invested in the game until their points are finally burned.  People buying in each year because they still have points with value.  Would a significant number walk away from the draws if the points didn't accumulate?  Kind of like the raffle...some years guys don't get tickets, not a big deal since everything would be new each year.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
A better point system - no points
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
True. I'm all for doing away with points. It's hard to say how odds would actually change but it's only going to get worse if we stay with our current point system.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:33:10 AM by bobcat »

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #108 on: June 24, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
With point build up, many people seem to feel invested in the game until their points are finally burned.  People buying in each year because they still have points with value.  Would a significant number walk away from the draws if the points didn't accumulate?  Kind of like the raffle...some years guys don't get tickets, not a big deal since everything would be new each year.

I keep saying I'm done with Washington, but I've invested so much already it makes it hard to walk.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm doing just this...I have every year been putting in for easier and easier draws...this year I finally drew a quality elk but burned 14 points in observatory to get it. I've drawn my bull tag and currently have zero points in all other categories but OIL tags and my quality and buck tags ( which I'm having a heck of a time drawing). I will be walking away once I draw those two permits. If they do ever go to a no point sytem, I'll come back. Too many better options out there in other western states...there's a reason why GO Hunt doesn't do any work on us...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
I guess I am confused. OIL used to be a lottery and you prepaid for the tag. If you did not get drawn, the funds would be refunded. That is how I drew goat.
There were no points for deer, elk, bear. Luck of the draw.
When the points system was first implemented, I drew sheep and moose in 3 years. It was a pretty even playing field back then with a max of 4 points when I drew moose. That is the point system was 4 years old.

My guess is people with lots of points and never have been drawn, put in for only one area, year after year. I read that in this forum some years ago when I guy drew a moose tag for a unit which included his farm/ranch.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline SteelheadTed

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
I'm doing just this...I have every year been putting in for easier and easier draws...this year I finally drew a quality elk but burned 14 points in observatory to get it. I've drawn my bull tag and currently have zero points in all other categories but OIL tags and my quality and buck tags ( which I'm having a heck of a time drawing). I will be walking away once I draw those two permits. If they do ever go to a no point sytem, I'll come back. Too many better options out there in other western states...there's a reason why GO Hunt doesn't do any work on us...

My understanding is GOHunt plans to add Washington it's just that it's more complicated and takes time to research.
I know I've lost it, let me know if you come across it

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 24, 2017, 03:05:03 PM »

My understanding is GOHunt plans to add Washington it's just that it's more complicated and takes time to research.
I think you're right that they do plan on eventually adding it...it is a complicated system and for me it is no longer worth the time it takes to draw the permits. I was just stating the fact that it is not a coincidence we're the last state to be in their system. While I'll agree there are sone great hunts here in Washington, they don't even compare to other states both in ability to draw and opportunity, both trophy and numbers wise. The WDFW is very proud of what they have and it's really not that good.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
Start next year, no more accruing points, those that draw a permit go to zero and have no more points going forward in that category. Each year a chunk of hunters drop out of that pool, increasing the odds of those still in the game.

As a percentage of hunters in that draw drop out, they are creating a additional group/% of hunters with "0" points. Each year, adjust the percentage of permits in the "point group" with those in the "0" point group, so that even though they are no longer in the "point group", they still have a chance to draw a permit, albeit a small chance.........no different than now. :chuckle:

Once you get to the 51/49 area, you can drop out of the point group if you want and join the "0" point group since the higher percentage of permits would then be in the "0" point group.

Yes this would take years to do, but it would eliminate the point system, while at the same time NOT eliminating the "investment" everybody to date has made, also increasing the odds of those still in, rather than reducing their odds.
I love this idea, you should pass this on to Wdfw!
Great idea sir.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal