collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Daughter drew colockum youth muzzleloader cow tag  (Read 6766 times)

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Daughter drew colockum youth muzzleloader cow tag
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »
Excellent.....congrats to the young hunter for hanging in there and getting it done. 

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:17 PM »
I'll let the OP fill us in......

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »
And.......

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 06:43:51 PM »
Nice! Looks like a dandy cow.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
I love it when the kids connect :tup:  congrats! To your daughter. :tup:

Your right, there should be more youth tags In my opinion.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
Nice fat cow.  Can eat on that for a good while.  Job well done.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:47 PM »
Awesome! Love to see the young ones be successful! :tup:
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
Awesome!

I want my daughters to enough the hunt as much as I do. When I get home I'll have to show them the pic.

Very cool.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Tman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
Saturday the 30th: opening day:

Daughter had to cheerlead at a game Friday night, so we packed, took a nap, and I drove the 4 hours to the naneum starting at 2 am on sat.. We arrived and headed up the road we we're going to start to learn just at first light. Completely new to the area, we were just checking it out..We arrived at a glassing point about 730 and right off the bat, bulls are bugling all around. We slowly tried to make our way down into and up into the draw they were in. Found ourselves in the center of a small meadow filled with rubs and wallows with at least 3 - 4 bulls bugling within a couple hundred around us. A shot rang out from above and things got quiet. Backed out and went exploring. Back out and explore.

Hike down a trail about a mile, elk sign everywhere and all of sudden about 10 dirtbikes come blowing down the trail. Crap.. that's it for that hunt.. back out and call a member who points us in a different direction. several miles up other drainages.

Went back and camped (slept in the rig) near where we were in the bulls the morning.

Sunday 10-1: woke up to a bull bugling in a meadow above us. Moved down into the small meadow and creeped up the draining. Bull getting closer. At some point he crossed and began moving up the other side bugling every few minutes. Pretty soon my daughter spots movement about 60 yds ahead and it is a group of cows crossing the creek in the timber in front of us. Too thick for her to get a comfortable shot so she passes. After they feed up into a thicker patch out of sight we turn to come down the drainage back towards the meadow and cows coming down behind us. Still about 200 yds up from the meadow I was sure that's where they were headed. We get to the meadow and wait.. and wait... And we must've gotten busted, nothing..

Head to a trail head and here some faint bugles. Try to get closer, but with the wind and sleet storms blowing over we just can't get very close to any bugles. Hike in a mile or so to a little bridge and all of a sudden the woods explode, elk running everywhere.. no shot.. dang it. Busted.

Head over and arrive later in the day, a short hike lots of sign, but it's getting dark in unfamiliar area so we back out and take a drive around the area getting to learn the road system hoping maybe we'll hear or see something.. camp up for the night.

Monday 10-2:

Head back down that drainage and hike about a mile in, to hear nothing that morning. Head out somewhat discouraged and go back to the top of the mtn we had been hunting.

Head to the drainage that was filled with elk the day before but decide to come up from the bottom.. we hiked up about 2-2.5 miles to a bridge gaining a ton of elevation. Quite steep. Kid just plugged away, I had to stop her so I could rest, several times. We stop about half way and the daughter decides she needs a break.. she hands me her gun and heads over the drainage ready to dig a hole armed with a roll of tp.. a few minutes later I hear elk running down the rocks and back comes the kiddo ready to stalk these guys.. cliffs on both sides and about 100 yd gap over the mountain, they're no where to be found.

Head the rest of the way up the drainage and bump a nice little satellite bull about 10 yds away and sit for a couple hours glassing, listening to distant bugles but otherwise elk free until we head back down.. on our way down in a rather dusty area we walked through, elk tracks in our boot prints.. grrr. Darn it.. wrong place, wrong time...

Decide to try a new area and drive up colockum Rd in the dark about halfway to the top and find a spot to camp.

Tuesday 10-2:

Wake up and head down to the bottom to see where we are, what we're in (never been there). Daughter spots a cow feeding just above the road. Try to make a quick stalk but the cow gets nervous and starts getting squirrelly, another 10 or so get up and get pushed away by a decent bull. No decent shot except for the bull and no tag for that so on we go exploring, hiking over the hill into some drainages and glassing. Don't see anything so decide that for the afternoon we'll head back where that other member had directed us earlier.

Hike up to the top, quite a ways, ide say over a mile and sit on a bluff and glass. It's getting later and we spot some elk moving about a mile below us. She wants to go after them, but it's just too far too late in the day.  As we sit and watch them, I catch movement about a hundred yards below us in the timber. A cow, wait a couple cows feeding around. No shot because of the timber but we sit and watch. A decent bull suddenly appears and begins chasing the cows towards an opening. Over the course of what seemed like an hour he pushed them. A large cow steps out and my daughter takes aim, fires, the cow stumbles and drops kicking. I look over and excitement fills her face as a tear of joy creeps out. After a few high fives and hugs we make our way down to the elk, just as she approaches she stops and admires her accomplishment (first picture). I try to sneak around to try and get a picture of the emotion on her face but she catches me and smiles, but is was a face of respect, accomplishment, and that little bit of remorse some of us get after taking a life. Something almost impossible to capture. We take a quick pic and dress her so she can start to cook while we head back to the rig for the tools we need to finish the job..

The rest is work...in the dark. Of course after loading, there was no where to sleep, so I made the long drive home while she napped as she wanted to get back to school the next day to miss as little as possible.

Overall it was a great experience that tried her patience and proved her perseverance.. Impressed me to a place without words. So proud of the determined woman and Hunter she has become..

Hope you all enjoy our story.

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 08:20:47 PM »
And.......
That’s the pic I’ve been waiting for 😜 that smile seals the deal. Glad you guys were able to get her done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »
Great job.  She looks like she's hooked.

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
So AWESOME!! That is what it is all about. Big CONGRATS to the both of you.

Offline ShaneTyTrey

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Is there anything better than hunting?
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 09:06:52 PM »
That is awesome, nothing cooler than being with your kids when they harvest a big game animal!

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 09:47:12 PM »
 :tup:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline r67968

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Great story.
Congratulations to you and your daughter. Memories for a lifetime for sure.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]