collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got sockeye? Make Gravlax  (Read 1502 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Got sockeye? Make Gravlax
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
Filet your sockeye and remove the pin bone and skin. Trim off the brown flesh. Traditionally, gravlax is made by brining the fish in a mixture of 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup sugar, and a cup of fresh dill. I replace the sugar with 1/2 cup of maple syrup and add a 1/2 cup of good booze, like bourbon or cognac, even a single malt scotch. Refrigerate. Remove the fish from the brine after 24 hours and pat dry. Completely coat the fillets with salt and wrap them in paper towels. Put the wrapped fillets in a ziplock. Use something heavy, like a rock or a #10 can and two deep sided roasting pans. The wrapped fillets go in one pan. Put the other pan on top with the rock in it, and refrigerate. I salt and wrap it for 2 days, changing the wrap every 12 hours and resalting each time. When done, use a dry paper towel to brush off any salt left on the surface.

When it's done, you end up with a texture that's somewhere between raw salmon and gummy bears. Traditionally, it's sliced very thin on a bias and served with a dill and mustard sauce. But we like it on bagels with cream cheese, capers, red onion, and chopped tomatoes, like smoke salmon. It'll last in the fridge for a couple of weeks but you won't let it go that long! Enjoy.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Got sockeye? Make Gravlax
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:20:40 AM »
Thanks, I'll try that out.

Offline merkaba93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Got sockeye? Make Gravlax
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:24 PM »
Sounds good. I use a similar recipe but without any aromatics and cold smoke it. Nova Lox.
Never used scotch on it. That sounds like a good idea. Like the imagination! 
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal