collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?  (Read 53844 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Anybody breeding meat rabbit?
« Reply #135 on: May 11, 2020, 04:02:06 PM »
That's rough. I haven't had success trying to help a litter/kit yet. But it's better to do something than nothing.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2020, 04:57:16 PM »
That's rough. I haven't had success trying to help a litter/kit yet. But it's better to do something than nothing.

We foster all the time. Even if there aren't issues. Kiddo will have a litter of 3 and a litter of 7 and we'll take 2 from the litter of 7 and put them with the small litter. Sometimes if there's a well marked baby with a new mother we'll take that baby and put it with a proven mother rabbit just for a little extra insurance. She had bred 2 this time, just the other doe who has had several litters didn't take. I think the problem with these was they were too far gone and we didn't realizr it in time. We try and mostly leave them alone for the first few days.
The 4th baby is now missing...lol. Our friend can't find it. Great. Presumably dead. Maybe foster mom ate it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2020, 07:57:31 PM »
Dang it.  :(

Online nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2020, 07:08:04 AM »
Is cross fostering only successful at birth like pigs or do you have more time with rabbits?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
Is cross fostering only successful at birth like pigs or do you have more time with rabbits?

I've only ever seen it done in the first few days to maybe a week, but the babies have to mostly be the same age. There's a big difference functionally between a day old baby and a 5 day old baby. The older babies would not cooperate with the littles.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »
I've successfully moved babies, but it's always been within a day or two of birth.  I've had a doe have one or two babies and another have a boatload.  I always try and have at least two does kindling at around the same time, just in case.  I give mom something nice to munch on and make the switch.  After a few minutes of wiggling around with the other babies, they all smell the same.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2020, 07:20:14 AM »
Ok rabbit breeders I went from 2 rabbits on Saturday to 12 on Monday, on visually checking Sunday night there were 6 kits and Monday there were 10 when I did an actual hands on count. Talk about a surprise. Now just hope the doe can support them all. Feeding quality pellets and supplementing with home grown alfalfa.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 07:31:25 AM by Jingles »
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »
Ok rabbit breeders I went from 2 rabbits on Saturday to 12 on Monday, on visually checking Sunday night there were 6 kits and Monday there were 10 when I did an actual hands on count. Talk about a surprise. Now just hope the doe can support them all. Feeding quality pellets and supplementing with home grown alfalfa.

The alfalfa is really rich and very high in protein.  Might want to pull it when the kits are out of the nest box as it will mess with their gut heatlh as they transition to solid feed. Calf Manna is a good supplement for nursing does. Maybe 1/2 to 1 tablespoon per day. You can get it in 10lb bags at feed stores. The doe should be ok with 10 babies.

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the calf manna and alfalfa,  had planned on holding off on the alfalfa once the kits are out and about was just supplementing for the doe. One thing for sure won't be letting the buck and doe out in the yard at the same time for awhile. Made that mistake once and learned the hard way.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2020, 11:33:49 AM »
Congratulations Jingles!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #145 on: June 22, 2020, 09:37:34 AM »
@Jingles  How are the 10 babies doing??

Offline Jingles

• Frontiersman
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »
Thanks for asking All 10 have survived and growing nicely had several out in the yard yesterday and a couple were even munching on the grass
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2020, 10:04:29 PM »
Got three nice young does today from jennabug, very nice meeting you!!

Working on the new hutches, gotta get a roof built.  In the meantime I have a metal roof panel over the hutches while I build a three sided shelter.

Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2020, 10:07:54 PM »
That hutch is WAY too simple, you gotta go complex the heck out of it lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Machias

• Trapper