collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trained dog?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline 95powersmoker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Trained dog?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 06:43:33 AM »
So they did not show you what was done and what was not? Hmmm.....

Well, I don't think those expectations are too out of line so....are they not returning phone calls? Will not communicate with you?

WRL

Yes, I've called the trainer a few times with no response. I've also called the owner with the "oh i gotta talk to the trainer and get back to you" with no call back.

I appreciate all the guys that have offered to give me some advice on this forum. I will be calling you guys that PM'd me last week.

Thanks.

Offline REHJWA

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 07:38:08 AM »
Any advice on recall training. Right now, that is the biggest thing that has me up in arms. I have been making her sit and pulling on a long lead and giving her #1 on the collar pressure and saying here and then praising the heck out of her. The next thing would be her clamping down on the dummy. I'm thinking a hard dummy or a frozen bird may stop that? Worth a shot?

Try a stiff bristle brush to soften up the hold.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »
Tough age for dogs. Some roll on through training quickly and pick up good habits and some need another couple weeks or months. All dogs are different. A lot depends on how the dog was raised in the first 6 months. If the habits you taught the pup don't align with typical training habits, its going to be harder for the trainer to make headway.

I wouldn't expect significant results with a good trainer for any time period of less than three months. It takes time to form solid habits in a structured environment. Go back to square one, the pup needs to be given the habits from 8 weeks to six months preparing for being handed off to someone to get the most out of a professional training situation. If, pup has a lot of habits which need to be fixed prior to the trainer putting hands on him/her, it slows progress. Sometimes, fixing bad habits to form a proper foundation puts a hold on things which you'd like to see put ahead of other issues.

If pup doesn't recall, you have to work on recall before you work on retrieve. Before you work on retriever, you have to work on hold. Before you work on any of that you have to have a pup who is half way obedient. The definitions of these terms usually doesn't line up between trainer and owner.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline 95powersmoker

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 08:15:41 AM »
Definitely good points, Happy. I spoke with the owner of the kennels last night and I think we just chalk it up as an expensive learning experience. I have a lot of work to do with this dog now. So I appreciate the comments. Hopefully I can do this dog right and get her to where she can be a good citizen as well as a good hunting companion.

Offline REHJWA

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
Definitely good points, Happy. I spoke with the owner of the kennels last night and I think we just chalk it up as an expensive learning experience. I have a lot of work to do with this dog now. So I appreciate the comments. Hopefully I can do this dog right and get her to where she can be a good citizen as well as a good hunting companion.
As mentioned before, get with others who are working their dogs. It is amazing how sharing time with other dogs can train us into better dog handlers.

Offline Thefishguy77

• Tracker
Trained dog?
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 09:05:24 AM »
My black lab is 8 now and I have struggled with him from day 1. Don't get me wrong as a duck dog goes he does his job well. Not great but well. Had him doing 6 positions wheel drills at 20 weeks. He will always bring the duck back and drop it. But with him I have never gotten hand deliveries. I can get him to hold and heal with a bird probably 90% of the time.

This is the first dog I have "struggled" with. Some dogs are just different. You need to constantly work with them. Sometime their quirks need to be worked with and not forced to be different.

Your pup is still young and developing. If you have the time try taking the pup out for a run before the 2nd training session of the day. Doesn't have to be long but getting them in to follow mode and running some of the energy down at the same time may help them be more willing to try it your way.   This advice it worth what you paid for it at best.  I used to think I was fairly good at this till my current dog. That being said I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 07:13:43 PM »
I must have been lucky.  I trained our lab and have no idea what I am doing outside of a few books and videos.  I can recall her 80% of the time and the other 20% result in a quick tick on the vibrating collar and she comes bolting back.  She is steady most of the time her first year and I think she will be near 100% this year on both steady on the shot and recall.

I don't expect perfection or anywhere near it, but if I gave a guy money and that kind of time, I would at least expect some of the basics or an honest conversation about that individual dog.  They are labs, they learn quick, love to please their owners and have an insatiable desire to fetch. 

I would guess there is a mismatch somewhere, either the trainer or your expectations. That is a very uneducated opinion, there are many others with much more experience than I have.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]