collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Camo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
Re: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »
I've been debating this for awhile. My issue is the weight of the cooler. The RTIC 65 (assume similar to other rotomolded) is 35#. Add the listed capacity of 70# ice, granted, maybe not the same as a cooler full of food, and your lifting a 105# cooler into the back of a 1-ton 4x truck. Pushing 50, I have to take this into consideration, as I often hunt alone due to schedules and weapon choices. These definitely have their place, especially if your 2 hours from additional ice, or have buddies for both onload and offload. Or, if bear-proof is necessary, as I have a 154Qt Igloo with bear tooth marks and yes he got it open the day before he died attempting round 2. Maybe the rotomold design offsets the necessary amount of ice, making up for the 12# weight of conventional design? Would appreciate any experienced thoughts on this, considering that even for myself on a 9 day hunt I usually gravitate to the capacity of 120 qt. cooler.
Albacore, the better white meat.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: YETI Tundra or Cabelas polar cap?
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 10:51:22 AM »
Well I hate to admit it but, I have to give my approval of the Cabelas polar cap.
16 days since I put food in it and two block and two bags of cubed ice.  A few cubes left and both blocks are still about three quarters.  Kept every thing cold and my frozen stuff was the last to thaw.  Everyone in camp was impressed.  For those that mentioned extremes I own one and there are others in camp.  They do great also just not as long.  We only did one ice run and that was mostly for the beer coolers and the cook wanted flour so she could make more biscuits.  Note: the cooler was only opened every other days or so. I am emptying and cleaning today after it sat in the back of my truck in the sun yesterday.  The truth is it will not replace my extremes or other coolers.  It is heavy and takes up a lot of room.   It's purpose was for the long trips at a base camp were I want to avoid having to leave the woods.  It served that purpose.  I also managed to gain weight again.  It is the cooks fault.
My extreme only got ice added once.  It was holding beverages.  No ice left.  Water and beverages still cold. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal