collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got royally screwed in Wyoming unit 10!  (Read 8173 times)

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
Got royally screwed in Wyoming unit 10!
« on: October 04, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
Paid a tresspass fee to a landowner early this year, she told us that she allows 1-2 groups of hunters on to the property at a time, and they mangaged it to be a quality experience.

Great, I paid the money, 700$ for our group of 4, figured it was a guarenteed tag, and we were locking up access so we could have a successful hunt. Boy was I wrong.

We pulled into wyoming Saturday, after driving straight through the night. As soon as we were in sheridan I started trying to call, no answer. Luckily I already had the address. We get to her place at the time I told her we would be there to meet and go over property boundary's etc. And try to call again, she answered this time finally and was pretty flustered that we were there.
Talking to her,, I realized just how bad of a decision I had made, there was already 3-4 camps set up in her driveway, she starts telling us about all the hunters showing up, 14 hunters was my count.
We left pretty bummed out, but still hopefull.

The next morning, we show up just past daybreak, and start counting bodies, 17 people visable. On a very small section of land.  We start talking to other hunters, and they are in the same boat. She told everyone it would be 1-2 groups at a time, and told everyone they were first to pay so they can access it for the opener.

It was pandimonium already, we hunted it for 1/2 a day, but after the 2nd animal I tried to stalk was shot from other hunters (shooting towards us no less), we decided it wasnt for us.

Total count was 19 hunters for the first 2 days, 8 more joined starting yesterday. The antelope are gone, way to much pressure.

So here I sit in Wyoming at the hotel, we've hit the handful of public land spots in unit 10 to no avail, it's a sea of orange. Gonna end up eating all but 2 of our groups tags I'm guessing. We've got tonight and tomorrow to try to get on something. Super disappointed we decided on this unit, based on a crooked landowners lies.

If anyone knows of any tresspass fee ranches, I would love to hear about em, if we could even get a couple more does down, to at least let a friend harvest his first big game animal, I would've ecstatic!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Got royally screwed in Wyoming unit 10!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
Sorry to hear about your troubles. What a huge disappointment that must be.  :bash:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »
Get hold of the local game warden and ask!!
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Dang that sucks but sounds familiar to a Wyoming experience we had a few years ago. Wish I had some information to send your way but I can't help ya. Good luck man!
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
PM sent.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 11:17:38 AM »
Did you apply for the DeSmet HMA ?

there is a name & # listed on WGFD for area 10 access. Will send via PM

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 11:23:08 AM »
hope you got a refund  that's rediculous

Offline daddysprad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
Contact the unit 10 Gamie and let him know your situation.  Call him to the property to see the craziness and talk to the other hunters.   Anything in writing you have from the landowner will help your cause.  Probably wont get your money back but... in Wyoming, each tag has a section that you sign, remove and give to the land owner.  With that tag, they get a small fee ($15 per hunter for antelope) for allowing hunters on their property.  The fee is small but it's tied in with money the land owner gets from the state for depredation and even the landowner tags.  I'm guessing that when the game warden sees the situation, he may give you some ideas of where some better public land is or even a landowner who may want to rid themselves of speed goats.  I've had really good luck just asking permission in unit 37.  This may or may not help your situation, but it may help someone in the future.  You may want to publish the landowner's name here (unless you are planning to sue them for your money back).

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:08:15 PM »
Sadly I happen to know now who the landowner is, and happen to know this is a habitual practice. There are a few other parcels of public land in unit 10 but they probably get hit pretty hard (sent via PM.) The De Smet HMA is great but it requires a permit and the deadline to apply was in the summer.

I hunt unit 10; it took me a couple years to figure it out. There are leftover permits there every year, and it's because access is difficult.

Good luck.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
Bummer for sure.  I would actually drive back and take them to small claims court just because.

Hit the public as hard as you can, you never know when you can scrape together a season saver.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »
Post up the unscrupulous land owner so nobody else gets taken by unfair business practices.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 12:55:21 PM »
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
Very revelant.

There's a few other Washington guys down here with us, bot sure if they are members or not here.

I'll post up the rest of the story this weekend. Pounding on public fighting the rat race now, hopefully we can come out with a few more animals.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »
Very revelant.

There's a few other Washington guys down here with us, bot sure if they are members or not here.

I'll post up the rest of the story this weekend. Pounding on public fighting the rat race now, hopefully we can come out with a few more animals.

Good Luck, hope you get one down.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 03:39:10 PM »
That sucks.  Sorry it's panned out this way.

Best of luck to you. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal