collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hot tent options??  (Read 7989 times)

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hot tent options??
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
The guys joining me on this year's elk hunt use the Redcliff and like it. Not sure how much they're on this site, but will probably chime in if they see this thread.  If you are set on accommodating 3 guys, gear, an stove the 6 man tipi is 18sq ft bigger and a foot taller for more headroom.

I think the redcliff would be small for the 3rd guy to be included inside with the use of stove.  No gear, and it would be a different story.  I had a Nemo 4P before and it was perfect for 2 guys and gear, but no stove at 100 square feet.  That 132 would give room for the stove, or 3rd person, but tough for both stove and 3rd person.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 08:04:52 PM »
I have the seek 8 man with XL stove.   Fits 3,  4 in a pinch.  Wouldnt prefer 6 man for 3.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 07:37:48 AM »
Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious if these stoves hold heat for very long at all?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 07:59:28 AM »
I run a 12" lite outdoors.  Packed full and ripping I need to add fuel every 20-30 minutes.  From ripping red hot to cold to the touch (besides the very bottom where the coals are) 1.25hours max, maybe. No huge pieces of wood will fit to create that multi hour coal bed to last a long time.  Not meant for long burns, mainly hot burns, warm up the tent/tarp, dry clothes be warm getting into bag and then let you sleep system do it's job through the night, in the morning, fire the stove up while inside your bag, tent/tarp is plenty warm in 10 minutes, get out and of your thing.  I do have some North Idaho energy logs cut down to size that will fit in my stove.  The next time I burn it I am going to do a little testing to see hoe long I can produce heat without opening the door.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 08:49:52 AM »
Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious if these stoves hold heat for very long at all?
Used my XL to heat a 20 ft alaknak in the snow couple weeks ago.  It keeps logs burning 2+ hours and coals to restart fire to 3 hours.   Thats medium banked down.

I would get up and restoke at midnite and 3 am.  I was pretty impressed.  Thats with 3” to 4”  x 12” logs.

Offline ian_padron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 09:05:32 AM »
A good tip for holding heat longer is to surround your stove with the biggest rocks you can find. Those puppies will hold heat way longer than the titanium. Just build a little wall around the stove with the rock, prevents you from accidentally melting sleeping bags and jackets as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
A good tip for holding heat longer is to surround your stove with the biggest rocks you can find. Those puppies will hold heat way longer than the titanium. Just build a little wall around the stove with the rock, prevents you from accidentally melting sleeping bags and jackets as well.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
That's a great idea with the rocks.  I melted part of a jacket last year not realizing how hot the stove was and the jacket was too close.   

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
And then man invented the wall tent.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 10:18:50 AM »
And then man invented the wall tent.
My 8 man teepee weighs 4# my wall tent without poles about 25# with poles at least
60#.   But with horses or road camps the wall tent or alaknak is way better. 

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 10:46:48 AM »
I have the BCS Grande which is the precursor to the Redcliff.  You could fit 3 with a stove but two and gear fit better with a stove.  Here is a pic...  oh and yes a wall tent is nicer but you aren't getting one 7 -10 miles in without stock.  This one came in on my back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »
I love the look and idea of these systems.
The only room for improvement would be increased burn time on the stoves.
Being warm and able to dry out is what extends a hunt.

Good luck to all this year.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »
I have the Luna 6 but do not run a stove. It would be tough to fit 3 guys with gear and a stove. 2 guys with gear would be perfect.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
So I called Seekoutside today to ask them about the difference between the Redcliff and the 6 man Tipi.. Dude assured me that the Redcliff would be perfect for 3 guys, packs and a stove.. 4 guys easy without a stove.. He said the 6 man tipi would be like the Taj Mahal for 3 dudes, a stove and gear..
    I think after all this great discussion I'm going to go with the Redcliff as its a bit lighter and easier to pitch than the 6 man tipi (per the the Seekoutside guy),  Like I said earlier it'll likely be used by me and my brother and a 3rd guy from time to time. So the lighter weight and easier pitch will suit me a little better in the long run I think. I'm okay with being a little cozy when the 3rd guy joins us for a hunt from time to time.. I'll let y'all know how it ends up going.. It'll be awhile though, as I'm headed to Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand for a few months of sun while all my WA friends enjoy the rainy winter.... Enjoy!
    Thanks for all the input here though! Definitely helped me out and actually changed up my plan of what to get. When spending almost a grand on a backcountry tent this place definitely helps! Thanks again!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2017, 10:28:06 PM »
Where you set the tent up can change the temps quite a bit.  If it isn't going to be windy, I set up under healthy trees with a lot of canopy above.  Good for quite a bit of heat vs being out in a meadow, especially on a clear night.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
Good call JH! Thanks for the tip!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]