collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is this car cool?  (Read 12691 times)

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
Is this car cool?
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »
I got a chance at this car and wanted to see what some of you think.  The paint is perfect and with some buffing the chrome is perfect.  It is all stock.  390 engine with about 300 horsepower.  If I replaced the stock manifolds and exhaust I can get it up to 350 hp real easy.  A few other mods would make it 400 hp.  I could do some interior work on it.  Really, I think the wheels are ugly.  I was thinking of some good rims and an air suspension kit. 

The question is, am I barking up the wrong tree?  I had not originally thought of this car but it became available to me for cheap.  It's hard to find a '62 Thunderbird that is this straight and part of me doesn't want to ruin the stock value of it.  However, I'm not sure I could drive it stock.  I've seen this car hot rodded out and it looks pretty good with cool wheels and lowered.  What would you guys do?  Should I just cut my losses and not get it?

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
Re: Is this car cool?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:45:17 PM »
 :tdown:

Get the one you really want.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
i think that could be a cool car. i would first be concerned with the structure of it...like the trunk..the floors...etc are they all solid?

the other thing that jumped out at me is i don't know about 50 horsepower by changing to headers and different mufflers...i'm no expert but that sounds like a lot to expect. you have to do a lot to an engine to get another 100 horse out of it, especially an old carburetor'ed engine.
i had a 72 f100 ranger with a 390 in it...torquey motor...
the beauty of those old cars is if it makes you happy, then go with it. who cares what everyone else thinks.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 04:52:09 PM »
Taking that car and changing it from stock would be a crime Shawn, save that kind of work for a car in far worse shape. If you want to do anything take it and restore it for top $$$ :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »
You bring up a good point Jackelope.  What I'm told is the stock cast iron headers are very restrictive.  Then you add to it the stock 2" exhaust and it's very restrictive as well.  The problem with good high flow headers is the clearance with the shock towers.

The other mods you can do to it is convert it to a tripower.  Three carbs adding a ton of fuel will do it.  They came stock as an option for tripower which is easy to find.  This particular car wasn't a tripower but to convert it would add power.

I'm kind of torn on it.  It's not exactly what I want but I can't beat the price.  There is no rust on this car except for a tad bit of surface rust on the trunk.  Not even the battery tray is rusted out.  90k original miles...

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
If its cheap buy it clean it up and re-sell it for profit, then go get the car you really want.

Brandon

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
anything tri-power can/will be a giant pain in the ass at some point...

i wonder if the engine itself is different with a factory tri-power car. a whole lot of fuel coming in thru 3 carbs has to burn properly too...again, not a hot-rodder at all...just thinking out loud...but i wonder if there's different heads/cam/ anything else needed aisde from just throwing a different intake/carbs on to get the most benefit out of tri-power.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:18:52 PM »
If the price is right - buy it - sit on it until you decide what to do with it.  Tought to pass up a 62 as clean as that one - regardless of your long term intent.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »
You guys are nuts considering doing anything with that car except cleaning it up and keeping original. Do that, sit on it until 2012, its anniversary, and trailer it down to the Barrett/Jackson Auction, you will probably triple your money. Do you think any of your other investments will do that in the next 3 years, doubtful!!!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
i don't think there's anything special about that car....don't get me wrong, it's a 62 t-bird, but not sure that thing would bring huge money at a place like the barrett-jackson.

to bring big money, i'd be willing to bet that car needs a lot of work.

is this car a money maker for you, pope, or just a cool sunday driver car?

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
My dad got it cheap and is willing to offer it to me for about 2k.  I really don't want to just turn around and make a profit on him when he could do that himself.  Kind of an odd situation.  If I kept it for 3 years he probably wouldn't care much, especially if I put work in it and used it.

If it was a convertable, I think it would have more collector value as they only made like 5000 of those but like 80,000 hard tops.  I think there are a few of these around in the hard top model.  You bring a good point though huntnphool...  It would be a shame to pimp it out.  I would keep all the stock stuff but still...  I think as it sits it's probably worth about 10k.  It needs some interior work.  For about 5k I could have it in great condition.  I don't think I would drive it much stock though.  I'm kind of torn really...

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
For about 5k I could have it in great condition.

Thats my point, you would have a total of about 7K into a car that would probably fetch 15K or so on a 50th anniversary, assuming its all numbers matching.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:35:18 PM »
Pope, I picked up an original FoMoCo triple duece intake manifold, carbs, linkages and fuel log at the Pomona Swap meet many years ago....had a custom oval filter assembly/custom carb cover made just for me....for my 390.........he' he' he'....all mine!  Waiting to plunk it all down on my 390!  390's Rule!  8)

Buy the car and have fun with it!

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 07:40:32 PM »
that car is bad ass. I would buy it in a heartbeat for sure.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:55 PM »
Hey ice, I heard those manifolds weigh a ton.  I was looking for an aluminum aftermarket one but haven't seen one. 

This poll has really got me thinking.  Maybe I shouldn't pimp it out and just try and fix the tiny things wrong with it and update the interior...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal