collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pistol advice  (Read 16379 times)

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: New pistol advice
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
If you're wanting only one gun by a 9mm. Smaller is better for concealed but don't go too small or it won't be fun to shoot. A gun big enough to grip comfortably with two hands will be much more versatile and have better sights. Tiny guns have their roles but since you only want one I wouldn't get something like a ruger lcp.

My advice would be to research how to properly grip a semiautomatic handgun and go to a gun shop and duplicate that grip on several models. See which ones feels more comfortable. Try operating the safety (If you are into safeties) and magazine release. Depending on your hands some guns may be very difficult to operate the safety and others will feel great.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
As far as a local dealer, go down to bij j's they will help you out
Go hawks

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 11:40:45 AM »
Of the three calibers you listed, I would go with the 9mm.
I prefer the .40, to the 9mm, but the 9mm is more than sufficient.
Choose you're caliber, then go try on the different makes/models in that caliber. There are many very good handguns out there, it all comes down to what you are comfortable shooting and how you will be carrying. Single stack 9mms are about the easiest to conceal, and sub-compacts are even easier. I have no problem carrying and concealing a 4 in. Springfield XD in .40 cal or a Kimber .45 cal. Others think that is too large to conceal.

I choose handguns in this order:
Caliber
Make/Model (How it fits me and how I shoot it)
Carry (IWB/OWB)
Cost
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 11:42:45 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm less concerned with price and more with getting something I want that will last. I've so far been able to avoid "collecting" guns so I want whatever I buy to be my CC for a long time.

There was a range up in Redmond or bellevue I went to a few times that had gun rentals I kind of forgot that was an option. Anyone know of any that are farther south? I'm I'm Wilkeson and haven't shot at a range in maybe fifteen years.
Less concerned about price I’d go with Glock 42(.380) or 43(9mm). They are both great out of the box fun/easy to shoot guns with potential for upgrades if you go that route!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 12:09:17 PM »
Yea but no fondling allowed at the range!! :chuckle:
[/q

Maybe in secret when nobody is looking............... :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 12:14:04 PM »
Why p....foot around. Get a Glock 29sf in 10mm and be done with it. I carry that when I go into Tucson. More horsepower.. :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
I went up to my dad's after work to handle a couple of his semi autos. The smaller ones felt a little too light to me. Is it worth having a little extra weight for better control or does it get cumbersome carrying around and trying to conceal?

I already forgot what he said it was but I did like the feel of his 9mm Glock but he didn't seem keen to let me test it for a couple of years to see if I liked it  :dunno:  :chuckle:

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 03:57:55 PM »
Also am I seeing correctly that a .38 special and 9mm shoot the same bullets? I have a ton of bullets lying around for my .38 and it would be great to standardize as much as possible.

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
Also am I seeing correctly that a .38 special and 9mm shoot the same bullets? I have a ton of bullets lying around for my .38 and it would be great to standardize as much as possible.
I would never shoot different calibers in the same gun without a conversion barrel.
As for your previous statement about 9mm glocks, they are great. I know many who love their Glock 19 for carry it is compact. But if you’re going for subcompact people with the “baby Glock” Glock 26 is a great 9mm Glock that’s a bit beefier than the single stack glock 43.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »
I went up to my dad's after work to handle a couple of his semi autos. The smaller ones felt a little too light to me. Is it worth having a little extra weight for better control or does it get cumbersome carrying around and trying to conceal?

I already forgot what he said it was but I did like the feel of his 9mm Glock but he didn't seem keen to let me test it for a couple of years to see if I liked it  :dunno:  :chuckle:

If the pistols were unloaded it's normal to feel light. Some guns hold a lot of lead in them when fully loaded. Glocks are fantastic guns. The people who hate them do it for silly reasons. If you like quality tools but don't need em to be fancy or shiney glock is a good choice.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »

If the pistols were unloaded it's normal to feel light. Some guns hold a lot of lead in them when fully loaded. Glocks are fantastic guns. The people who hate them do it for silly reasons. If you like quality tools but don't need em to be fancy or shiney glock is a good choice.

I don't hate Glocks, and I have owned a few of them. I choose not to shoot them any more. I have found other pistols fit me better then Glocks do. They are still very good pistols.
Discounting peoples likes or dislikes because they are different than yours really takes away from your own statements.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 04:52:38 PM »
Don't overlook the Ruger sr9c or sr40c.  Great trigger and fantastic shooters.  Very affordable.  I also like the walther ppq m2......very smooth and feels good in my hands. 

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 05:01:24 PM »
Are you going to carry everyday? If so the single stack 9's are the way to go imho. I was in the exact same boat as you one year ago and bought the lcp.380 and regret it. It carries like a dream but its woefully in accurate and just not fun to shoot. Then I bought an m&p9c that shoots great and carries well on the belt but it's to big for pocket carry. On a beltbyou don't even know you have it. It shoots better than I ever thought it would too. I'm happy with my m&p and plan to keep it but for my lifestyle it's just too big for everyday carry. In the future I will add a single stack 9 to my aresonal and probably move the .380 down the road. I guess in a long winded way what I'm trying to say is if your going to carry everyday look at the smaller single stack 9's. If your looking to carry occasionally and shoot a lot I'd look at the double stack compacts. I.e. G19/m&p9c
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 05:04:36 PM »

I don't hate Glocks, and I have owned a few of them. I choose not to shoot them any more. I have found other pistols fit me better then Glocks do. They are still very good pistols.
Discounting peoples likes or dislikes because they are different than yours really takes away from your own statements.
i agree completely!!! I think glock is the most bullet proof hand gun made and I'm definitely more of a who cares what it looks like guy but they just don't feel good in my hand :dunno:
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:56 PM »
JP - for a defense pistol I recommend a .45 Cal. Yes a 9mm will work but I've seen them fail to stop threats in real life. 230 grains punched center mass takes the fight out of just about anything.

Personally I'm fond of compact 1911's.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand