collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: EPIC: is the only word  (Read 8198 times)

Offline LittleJohn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: EPIC: is the only word
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2018, 02:52:25 PM »
 :tup:

A WET BUCK AND BOYS !!!!

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
My brother and I headed for the high country on the Monday after the opener, October 23rd. We set up a base camp and rode the horses in. We tied them up and would hunt all day and then ride out. The weather got nice after the opening weekend rain storm. I was hoping the sunny weather would get the elk fired up enough to start bugling again and they did just that. We hunted hard everyday from dark to dark. We had a close call on a real giant bull, but got winded at last second. We were having a great time and lots of elk sign and no other hunters around to speak of.
On day 8 we were both wiped out and ready for an easy day. We rode the horses into a new spot that I have archery hunted in the past. Its a easy hunt and we could glass the day away rather than hike for miles. On the way up the trail I caught a whiff of bull. I asked my brother and he could smell him too. We decided to tie up and walk the rest of the way in the dark. Just after daylight I let out a couple cow calls. I got a quick response from a fired up bull. He was above us and sounded close. We started up the steep hill towards the bull. We were in an old spotty burn and had about 100 yds of visibility in the thick burned timber. The bull bugled 4 or 5 more times at my cow calls and was fired up and coming in fast. I caught movement above us and saw some cows walking to our right. Right behind them was the bull. He was coming right to us. Jeff shot him in the chest with the 300 RUM at 50 yds  :chuckle:. He rolled down the hill and came to rest almost at our feet.
Needless to say we let out a few WAR HOOPS!! Bear Hugs and high fives!!! It was awesome to share such a hunt with my "little" brother. We had planned and talked for a couple years about it and it all came together. It was 8am and we were 100 yds from the horse trail and the horsed were only 1\2 mile down the trail waiting to go to work.
We said a prayer of thanks to the Lord for provision of meat and memories made. God is Good !!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:25:18 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2018, 03:25:54 PM »
Cowgirl up !!!!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:40:19 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2018, 03:32:39 PM »
Much more to come later
Got to go to work :}

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
THANKS quad :tup:

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
 :tup: Thanks for the journey. EPIC is right.........

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
Epic is right!!!!!!!!

Wow!!!!!!

Great share.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2018, 06:43:35 PM »
Congratulations that’s a season for the books.

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 11:16:32 PM »
We were fortunate enough to draw bonus B cow tag in the South West area of Montana. There were 5 of us in our group with tags. We had planned a 4 day trip around the first week of November. My wife has been following me around the woods for the last 20 years and has taken a deer every year she's hunted. She has taken a few cows, but never has killed a bull. I was hoping that she would get a chance at a cow on this hunt. Day one we put on lots of miles in the 0 degree weather. We spotted a group of 5 bulls, but they were 3 miles away and we were already 3 miles from the truck. She was definitely not up for that. We ended up seeing 9 bulls the first day and no cows. We were having a great time with great friends. We were with my hunting partner, Dan, and his father, Gary, and his son, Cole. Cole (14) was also looking for his first elk.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:21:38 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 11:19:49 PM »
Day two took us to a new area I had not hunted before, but had scouted it on google and maps. We pulled up to a glassing point and started glassing. My wife, Jen, spotted a big herd of elk right off the bat. It looked to be about 30 head with a couple legal bulls. They were about a mile and half way and not spooked. We planned a stock and headed out after them. About two hours later we were within 700 yds. Unfortunately they were feeding into some thick timber and, and we watched them go out of sight. It was about 5 degrees with a steady cold wind. It was almost noon by now. We decided sitting all day and waiting for them to come out for the evening wasn't an option with he temperature. We decided to try a push. Gary and Cole circled around the timber patch and the rest of us snuck to within 300 yards of where they had gone in to the timber. I got Jen set up on the shooting sticks and ranged a few land marks. About 30 minutes later Dan spotted two legal bulls coming out of the timber right where they had gone in. They were alert but walking in the wide open. I ranged them at 533 yds. My wife was shooting my 300 win mag. She had practiced with it all summer and was very comfortable at this yardage. They were both 5x5 bulls. One of them was significantly larger bodied and she settled on him. She said she was ready and I let out a cow call. I watched the bullet hit right behind the shoulder. The bull swapped ends and walked a couple steps just standing there. She hit him again in the same spot. The bull was dead on his feet, but I didnt have to tell her to shot again she knew to keep shooting. I watched the 3rd round hit right behind the shoulder again. The bulls head rocked back as he flipped over backwards sliding down the hill.
Jen had killed her first bull!!!!
It was chaos for the next couple minutes as the rest of the herd of cows came running out into the open. Dan and my buddy Kevin both knocked down cows within 100 yds of Jen's bull. We had 3 elk down out of the same herd.
I didnt even realize that Dan had captured Jens shots all on video. Its was a great surprise.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:22:18 AM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2018, 02:23:56 AM »
 :)

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2018, 02:27:23 AM »
I can't begin to tell you all how proud I was of her. She has put in her time and then some and was soooooo deserving of this great animal. Having a wife that understands my passion and love for elk hunting is an amazing blessing. Jen was beyond ecstatic with taking her bull. Hugs and high fives all around. Her smile says it all !!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:24:29 PM by LittleJohn »

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2018, 02:37:45 AM »
We had the 3 elk all worked up in a couple hours and headed for the truck with heavy packs. We were right at 1.5 miles from the truck as the crow flies. It was a nice pack out. Dan and are are the young and dumb ones of the group and made quick trip back in for a second load. We made it back to the trucks just after dark. We had 6 loads left for the next day. The next day we all hiked in for one more load each and we had all the meat to the trucks by noon. I told Jen she could skip the pack and let the guys do it. :} I got a dirty look without a reply :}. Jen packed 2 front shoulders just to spite me I think :)

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »
It was an epic hunt to say the least. We had an amazing time with some great friends. We got back to cell service and of course sent pics of Jens Bull back to our family in Western WA. They of course were as excited as we were. Later that day my brother sent me a picture of my dads Wa bull. He killed it the same day Jen killed her bull. It was my dads first branched bull. I was so excited for him I can't even tell you. He's been hunting for a long time and has been after a bull for many many years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:26:04 PM by LittleJohn »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal