collapse

Author Topic: Tubari  (Read 1122 times)

Offline TeacherMan

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Tubari
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Moyles ruined some civets I sent them plus they were pretty rough on some other small furs I sent a couple years ago. That was the reason I tried Tubari. Moyles did a good job on small stuff in the past for me but with their increase in business and I guess new personnel it seemed things went down hill. If I send in larger animals it will probably be Moyles but still searching for someone to do small stuff better.

I did loose a tail on a marten their last shippment but figured it was my skin job and they didnt do a good job on an ermine. I figure out of the 100 furs I've had done with them thats pretty good. I NEVER "rush" the order.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Doug
  • Groups: AL WORRELLS KID
Re: Tubari
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
Sounds like Tubari needs to work on their "Tanning Solution", maybe a bit too strong on their Alkalies.
(Bruce, they might look better if you were to have them Sheared.)
Doug

Beaver hats were fashioned from felt made from the thick underfur. Hats made of beaver fur were more water resistant than ones made of other materials, because the fur was adapted to being wet and dried repeatedly. Unfortunately, the process required the use of mercury, which is a toxic substance that affects the nervous system. Hatmakers often developed mental problems, which led to use of the phrase “mad as a hatter.”

"Acids have relatively little action on the hair, when applied in dilute solutions. The scales of the cuticle or epithelium are somewhat opened, the fibre becoming slightly roughened thereby. Even at high temperatures, the hair is quite resistant to the action of dilute acids. Concentrated acids destroy the hair with the liberation or formation of ammonia, hydrogen sulphide, and various amino acids. When treated with dilute acids, the hair, especially if it is of a very woolly nature, retains considerable quantities of acid, this phenomenon being probably due to the fixation of the acid by the basic groups in the hair. Nitric acid produces a yellow coloration when applied in dilute solution for a short time. Sulphurous acid, the acid formed by the burning of sulphur, has a bleaching action on the hair.

Alkalies attack the hair, even in dilute solutions, and by longer action complete decomposition sets in, with formation of ammonia and amino-acids. Ammonium carbonate, soap, and borax are practically harmless in their effect on the hair. Sodium and potassium carbonates roughen the hair on prolonged action, even in dilute solutions. Calcium hydroxide on continued action removes sulphur from the hair, causing it to become brittle."........Principles and Practice of Fur Dressing and Fur Dyeing, by William E. Austin (Consulting Chemist to the Fur Industry) 1923
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:28:39 AM by AL WORRELLS KID »
Your best Teacher, is your last mistake!

* Recent Topics

Lion attack in North bend? by buglebrush
[Today at 12:18:50 AM]

Scope for handgun? by CAMPMEAT
[Yesterday at 11:23:59 PM]

Mechanical Problem : 1992 F-150 351w 5.8l Engine Knock? by smdave
[Yesterday at 11:16:03 PM]

Project truck by Grit dog
[Yesterday at 11:12:53 PM]

Best side by side tire by Grit dog
[Yesterday at 11:03:42 PM]

Quality Hunt Wait by JWEBB