collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looks like its going to be a late spring  (Read 12102 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looks like its going to be a late spring
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »
Centurion, are you referencing the region 3 biologist, the same one who got in all that heat a few years back about falsifying evidence of the lynx. If you are, my dad a little squabble with him during some of the Yakima County plants. My dad, who was the chapter chairman of the Yakima chapter, tried to persuade him to plant some birds in Reynolds Creek. Traditionally, on every other plant in the Tampico area, birds naturally migrated over to Reynolds Creek and did well there. But the biologist claimed that Reynolds Creek didn't have as many "pine nuts" so the birds would survive the winters as well. What a joke. Too much "science" and not enough actual observation. Guess what? After the plants in Nasty Creek and other areas in Tampico, more birds ended up in Reynolds Creek. Go figure.

No, I was referring to the nut jobs in the Vancouver office.  At that time the Region 5 office controlled Klickitat County.  Now I think Klickitat is part of Region 3 and managed through the Yakima region.

No pine nuts huh?  What an idiot!  That's the trouble with all of these experts in the WDFW who don't like or either don't know crap about turkeys.  Just what we all need.....more s'perts.  Gee, you would think they believe turkeys are so fragile that they could not adapt to not enough pine nuts?  Your Dad should have told him..."why the hell you think they now exist in 49 of 50 states, many where they were not native..........Because they are adaptable you friggin moron!"

What was the Biologist's initials.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:09:52 PM by Wacenturion »
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »
PM sent. And yep, what an idiot. So I sure hope all you guys are scouting areas with enough pine nuts ;)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »
PM sent. And yep, what an idiot. So I sure hope all you guys are scouting areas with enough pine nuts ;)

Do they taste like wild hickory nuts?  Too funny.............LOL. 
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Tom Tamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2009, 06:51:06 PM »
TD, Wac..found out some interesting info on this this weekend, in talking with Dave D. Our pal Mick asked to be taken off the NWTF contact list. He wants no more to do with anything of a technical nature. What a pathetic peice of ....  I think we should try and get th monies raised for turkey re-funneled back to some other dept.....then see how long til the WDFW cares about their wildlife? Everytime the talk of relocating comes up it has been shut down due to money issues.....and our response always is no need that's big reason why many of us joined the NWTF to do just that, so how many truckks would we get to show up if they had one?

I'll admit I was kind of sipping the koolaid a little trying to do what was right for the turkey but the more I read what Yelp and Wacent said the fog kind of parted....I still like the NWTF at least the folks that make it run. Mayb we just need to finally quit waiting on the Goobermint to help us and just do it. I got an F350 long bed we can get a few turkeys in the back of that. Move'em where we need to!

Maybe all of us on here and around start pressuring Mick to relocate obviously our voices aren't as loud as the landowners on this one? Or we start vigilante trap/transfers. :twocents:
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 06:58:51 PM »
Interesting   :rolleyes:
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
It amazing what folks can accomplish.  Back when the birds were being actively trapped and relocated, there were a good number of NWTF members and some other local folks that helped out.  Was busy work but fun and everyone felt like something was accomplished.

Unfortunately it not as easy as some of us just getting permission to do it....which would never happen.  Those people actually doing the trapping...you know setting the charges in the rockets and pushing the button have to be licensed by L&I...an explosives license strictly for trap and transfer.  Wdfw let all those with those licenses to expire, and many of them are in different positions.  The staff in Upland Wildlife Restoration who did all the turkey work went from 22 during the 90's to I believe a total of 6 now. 

It's not the trapping that's the problem.  They just don't want birds to be relocated anywhere, plain and simple.  They just conviently use that excuse to solve their problem.  Pretty damn sad. :bash:

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »
Oh and as far as Mick being taken off the contact list....that may be a good thing, unless he is still involved with the decision making behind the scene.....WHICH HE IS!  What a joke!

Offline fishunt247

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 07:13:31 PM »
Relocating is hard, exterminating the birds is easy. WDFW always takes the easy road out, and the road lined with $$$$$$$$$

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Yep ... I agree with WaCent (especially the bashing the head into the wall). Not surprised about Mick ... do the damn job you were paid to do ... manage the resource !

We would probably have to get every turkey hunter in the state to write to their local and state reps, senators and other elected officials ... ie - pressure the government officials to pressure Mick et al ... otherwise you would probably get nailed for illegally transferring a state game animal without their "permission" into an area they hadn't "blessed" against their management "plan" .. and if we didn't have the blessing of national and the NWTF biologists, they would probably throw us into their "turkey" jail also. Totally frustrating to say the least ...

However, we need to bring this up at our next BOD meeting. I know Lyle would be on our side and we need to start somewhere righting the ship .... the rats are already starting to desert (oh, sorry Mick).

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2009, 08:55:02 PM »
WaCent - Missed your message earlier ... Maybe we can get together for dinner over there ... my boy and I will be arriving in Davenport Tuesday afternoon and will be there until Friday late afternoon or evening (landowners family gets the weekends), then the boy is heading back home and I'm heading to Colville to take one of my chapter members out (even if I have tagged out --- it's myas my way of  "paying back" or "forward" my volunteers   --- ie: a happy tukrey hunter is a happy volunteer). I will also see how my other members are doing, and we all may meet with Tacoma chapter members for dinner Saturday night.  Probably stay there until Monday about noon.  I probably will take my 25 ft trailer versus renting a room (but I don't like cooking and doing dishes during turkey season so we will just have at most a great start microwaved breakfast, then carry a lunch/snacks, and dine out in the evening).  I like to hit it from before dawn to close to dark as needed ... but also take breaks as necessary if we feel like it and are getting too darn frustrated.
Let me know if you want to meet up ...

To WaCent and Yelp ---
         As far as the national and regional assistance, that is a result of the BOD/RDand National realizing we could use additional help out here with the WDFW .... especially them having our hands tied as to traps and transfers, or anything else that would benefit the turkeys. They may be able to help us right the ship and get it sailing straight again.
         I know I must have said this before, but have you ever considered adding your voices of reason to the BOD.  As long as you are an active member of a local chapter it's a pretty simple ...  we meet usually twice a year (more only if it's really, really necessary) ... most other business is done with a couple of in between telcoms or via e-mails.   

Offline MerriamMan

• Pilgrim
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:58 PM »
I'd like to sneak a question in on this thread, not the main topic but the direction it's heading. I'll try to tie it all together at the end.
     Has anyone seen or heard any evidence that our turkeys are eating acorns from the indigenous Oregon white oaks we have in our beautiful state?  I have checked the craw of every bird I have taken and this is what I've found: dandylion blossoms,plain ole grass, pine nut(Of course)snow berries(Have to show you guys the picture of this softball size craw that weighed 20oz.),little blue/huckle berry looking things, and, oh, one baby rattle snake,and much more. Conspicuous by it's absence is the acorn. do our turkeys eat em? I know down south the easterns literally live and die for them. my tie in to this thread is. If they are throwing words around like pine nuts and carrying capacity for reasons not to relocate than they are being far less than truthful. Every year here in central WA. I'd say many tons go back to ground UN eaten. Maybe Jerbear can chime in since he lives in the middle of oak central. Any way, so sorry for the rant, I just wondered if acorns are a food source for any of the birds you guys run into? Thanks

Offline fishunt247

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
I have shot birds in Klickitat county that have had acorns in them, yes. My dad tells a story of an old boy named Lloyd that he learned to turkey hunt with that shot a longbeard down there that the acorns from its craw filled a quart sized mason jar. My dad saw it, so I beleive it to be at least 75% truth. So they eat them, but from what I've found, they don't eat them voraciously and would much rather eat flowers, insects, grass shoots, etc. Jerry would know too, and might confirm my thoughts.

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2009, 06:59:38 AM »
WaCent - Missed your message earlier ... Maybe we can get together for dinner over there ... my boy and I will be arriving in Davenport Tuesday afternoon and will be there until Friday late afternoon or evening (landowners family gets the weekends), then the boy is heading back home and I'm heading to Colville to take one of my chapter members out (even if I have tagged out --- it's myas my way of  "paying back" or "forward" my volunteers   --- ie: a happy tukrey hunter is a happy volunteer). I will also see how my other members are doing, and we all may meet with Tacoma chapter members for dinner Saturday night.  Probably stay there until Monday about noon.  I probably will take my 25 ft trailer versus renting a room (but I don't like cooking and doing dishes during turkey season so we will just have at most a great start microwaved breakfast, then carry a lunch/snacks, and dine out in the evening).  I like to hit it from before dawn to close to dark as needed ... but also take breaks as necessary if we feel like it and are getting too darn frustrated.
Let me know if you want to meet up ...

To WaCent and Yelp ---
         As far as the national and regional assistance, that is a result of the BOD/RDand National realizing we could use additional help out here with the WDFW .... especially them having our hands tied as to traps and transfers, or anything else that would benefit the turkeys. They may be able to help us right the ship and get it sailing straight again.
         I know I must have said this before, but have you ever considered adding your voices of reason to the BOD.  As long as you are an active member of a local chapter it's a pretty simple ...  we meet usually twice a year (more only if it's really, really necessary) ... most other business is done with a couple of in between telcoms or via e-mails.   

Turkeydancer...Wacenturian and I will be in Lincoln County at my turkey camp.  IF all goes well and the damn snow starts melting it will be Tuesday into the following week.  I do have to work the 18th but will be back to camp later that evening.  Anyways maybe we can have a meet and greet around the campfire at my camp.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »
I'd like to sneak a question in on this thread, not the main topic but the direction it's heading. I'll try to tie it all together at the end.
     Has anyone seen or heard any evidence that our turkeys are eating acorns from the indigenous Oregon white oaks we have in our beautiful state?  I have checked the craw of every bird I have taken and this is what I've found: dandylion blossoms,plain ole grass, pine nut(Of course)snow berries(Have to show you guys the picture of this softball size craw that weighed 20oz.),little blue/huckle berry looking things, and, oh, one baby rattle snake,and much more. Conspicuous by it's absence is the acorn. do our turkeys eat em? I know down south the easterns literally live and die for them. my tie in to this thread is. If they are throwing words around like pine nuts and carrying capacity for reasons not to relocate than they are being far less than truthful. Every year here in central WA. I'd say many tons go back to ground UN eaten. Maybe Jerbear can chime in since he lives in the middle of oak central. Any way, so sorry for the rant, I just wondered if acorns are a food source for any of the birds you guys run into? Thanks

MerriamMan...Most of the areas in the Yakima Area will support more turkeys, there was a lot of negativity about turkeys prior to and after releases in the 1990's and earlier and still today there is still some naysayers that say turkeys aren't doing well.  Well they are wrong.  They say that because they have know idea.  I know for a fact the population is slowly growing north and south of Yakima.  I talk with elk hunters that see them all over.  But when you have negativity it breeds more negativity and it makes it hard to make the idea of supplemental releases are good thing.  They would rather it fail than be successful it seems.  As far as food sources, almost anything can be on the dietary hit list.  Opportunistic feeders wild turkeys are adaptable to different habitats.  The time of year will dictate diet.  Greenup, flowers, to insects, to seeds, grains, fruits, nuts, etc..mast crops that get them through winters. The adaptable and opportunistic nature of the wild turkey also defines them as nuisance in some people eyes.  There are examples of both but there are also solutions.  Some of these solutions are not always agreed to by hunters or managers. Fall hunts, kill permits, etc..  All it would take is a little effort on the part of all to put the Nuisance issue away.  But I think some like the idea of it and use it to push management direction.  Not to drag you down...Like fishhunt247 says they will eat acorns.  I know back east there are tastier acorns than others, but that is all I know. 

Born to Yelp!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »
Opportunistic feeders .............................pretty well says it all.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]