collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Breaking in a new rifle barrel. Need to or myth?  (Read 13877 times)

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Breaking in a new rifle barrel. Need to or myth?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
Myth. It's never made any difference in any rifle i have seen it done to.

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2018, 09:41:16 AM »
Most (maybe  even all....) manufacturers say to break-in the barrel. Most of their instructions are similar.  Seems like they would know best, so I follow their instructions.  :twocents:

I agree, why wouldn’t you?  Custom barrels are hand lapped as mentioned.  Even for a non reloader seems like it’s worth a box of ammo to do so.  As others have stated it also helps reduce fouling later.  At least that is my experience and how I was taught by some very experienced loaders and shooters.  So, I do it and, even with factory rifles can always seem to make them shoot well so I’ll stick with the system. To each their own  :tup:
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
I don't have a lot of experience with rifles but my Dad did it, so I do it. My Dad wasn't always right but he was right 90% of the time :tup:

I agree with some here that it depends on the rifle on how much break in it needs
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
Does anyone really think a soft brass bullet and a nylon brush is going to hone the hardened steel over and above the hardened steel tools that were used to finish it? Think about it...

Those tools weren’t super heated and moving 3000fps though

I had an older Savage that would shoot well, similar to @Biggerhammer, where it would open up wide (not from heat) after a few five round groups. After diligently stripping it down to clean steel after every five shots for a hundred rounds, I found it held zero and tight groups for dozens and dozens of shootings.

I mean you can literally see the difference after a proper (when needed) break in. How is this even an argument?

Well said. To add that even rough bores, earlier Savage, would shoot amazingly accurate. No better, no worse after break-in. But like many have stated, they hold accuracy longer and cleanings were quicker.
I have found on rifles with commonly rough bores(newer Remington) a few passes with a tight JB patch, and its good to go
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2018, 10:04:53 AM »
I've never found a need to with any of my custom barrels but with factory barrels, well, they're kind of a crap shoot and it generally helps them in some way of another.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2018, 10:39:31 AM »
I'm breaking in a new benchmark barrel now.  I've put 20 rounds down the bore so far.  I followed Lilja's break in procedure and am at point where I shoot five shoot groups then clean.

This is my first custom barrel.

There was a lot of blue on the patches after each shot until shot 6.  Like almost the entire patch was blue and green.  Since shot 6, there has been faint blue to dark blue on the patches, but the blue is isolated to the tip of the patch next to the end of the jag.

The bore cleans up super fast.  2-3 wet patches get the black out, then there's just faint blue on the tip of the patch.  At this point I can use the bronze brush to remove the copper. 

The bore still accumulates copper at the muzzle end, though I'm not sure this is an issue.  Butchs+bronze brush removes the copper. 

My understanding is that break in is supposed to smooth out the throat and allow carbon to smooth out the bore, thereby preventing copper build up.  But I think even custom barrels accumulate copper, correct?

Offline lord grizzly

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2018, 11:22:58 AM »
I would never run a bronze brush down any of my rifles. get a nylon and use more solvent.

I was done commenting here but I cant let a guy do that to his new custom barrel

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
No more brushes here either. Get some swabits.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
For example

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
I only removed copper during the break in period.  After that, let it accumulate or your next shot will always be off.  In my not so expert opinion, when people talk about their cold bore first shot being off, it may actually be that the first bullet sees a clean bore and the next slide over some copper which changes poi.

I grew up religiously cleaning guns and it still kind of makes me cringe not cleaning my rifle, but I only clean it once a season and never with anything that would remove copper.  One wet patch, then 2-3 dry patches max and a bit of oil if storing it for an extended period of time.

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
I think there may be some difference between broke in barrels -vs- non broke in, BUT I doubt there are 5 out of a thousand shooters who could ever tell that difference. I do not think very many shooters get the most out of the guns they have.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »
I like to break in my barrels by firing about 100 rounds through them as fast as I can before even thinking about cleaning it. The theory is that if I get the metal hot enough, the bullets will polish out any imperfections in the now soft, malleable steel.   :chuckle:

I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I'm pretty sure somebody on Facebook said something like this once.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »
 :yeah:

That works but you have to use the boolits that are a bit gritty on tbe outside. Max loads and you will smooth it all out.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
I like to break in my barrels by firing about 100 rounds through them as fast as I can before even thinking about cleaning it. The theory is that if I get the metal hot enough, the bullets will polish out any imperfections in the now soft, malleable steel.   :chuckle:

I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I'm pretty sure somebody on Facebook said something like this once.
But you have to use lapping ammo for it to work right  :chuckle:

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »

You are doing it wrong....

I like to take a steel cleaning rod and seat a cast lead projectile about 2" forward of the chamber. Then I load my "blue dot" speshul round behind that and let her rip...

I find this is the best way to "break her in"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan