collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bow fishing Opinions  (Read 7280 times)

Offline camano gibby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Bow fishing Opinions
« on: March 06, 2018, 06:54:39 PM »
Just getting started into the bow fishing and have a few questions:

What do you think of the AMS style bows and bottle reels?

What do you think about the closed face "Muzzy" style reels?

How many spare arrows do you usually take on a outing?

Is this hobby going to be as addictive and expensive as duck hunting?

Thanks for the help

Offline acrocker

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA
Re: Bow fishing Opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
It's a great hobby and not nearly as expensive as duck hunting... for the most part, but it will be much more addictive.

I have had great success over the years with the AMS bows and bottle reels, I have no complaints about them - I started off with an old recurve where I had the line in my shirt pocket - not the brightest maneuver, but I shot some fish that way...

I have now transitioned to a Muzzy reel and Oneida bow and I really like that, too. Tough to say which is better at this point since I've only used the Oneida for a year.

I have a bunch of arrows that I've accumulated over the years, I just have a cardboard tube that I keep them all in and I bring the whole thing with me when I go fishing - realistically, I usually come home with the arrow I left with, but I've had 'Those' trips where I've lost 3 or 4 arrows, too. Bring lots of extra points and barbs, as I do change those out through the day as they get dull.

Welcome to the club, it's a blast.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:02:33 PM »
 I like the real setup on my bow.. since several of us have the same setup I've found an extra arrow is good but what you really need are the extra components. Heads, slides, screws etc. Lost lots of those. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline camano gibby

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 09:59:51 AM »
Thanks for the replys guys

Couple of more questions and then I'll quit bugging you

My limited experience, ( 2 trips), has been in the dunes of the Pothole res.  Any options for carp in Sno, Skagit, or Whatcom Co's?

I assume night hunting is the most productive.  What are the best times for a daytime shoot....early morning, mid day, sun down?

Are you guys members of any bow fishing organizations?

Thanks again for the help........Gibby

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:33 AM »
Not a member of a bow fishing org, but a long time Member of silver arrow Bowmen and we have taken trips over there.
Winchester waste way both side of 90, Moses lake, North end of potholes are all great places.

Polarized sun glasses, wide brimmed hats, sun screen, and electric motors are all great things to have.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline TYherndon

• Get in the woods
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA,RMEF, DU
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 06:38:21 PM »
WBA is a great organisation lots of great people in it and very active. Most of which will almost through you on the boat to show you. As for Western washington shooting ive head of such a thing but never done it. Lake washington has carp but I dont know the REGS on it. Bowfishing Extreme is a great place to start for equipment, for the price start with a Muzzy and a shoot through eye for the line. Addicting is an understatement I see a flat bottom boat and alot of sun in your future! Have fun with it!! BTW there is a night shoot next weekend on the potholes!

Offline camano gibby

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
Good information guys.......thanks for the help.  I will definitely look into the Silver Bowman, and the WBA orgs.

Thanks again..........Gibby

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
The bottle reels are the only way to go.  You can miss, recover, miss, recover and miss again while your partner is retrieving his first arrow with the hoop style line holder.   I believe the bottle reels are also much safer as far as keeping the line from getting tangled and causing snap backs.

I've always brought lots of spare arrows with safety slides attached but truthfully if you're not shooting too strong of a bow, you'll likely go all day with the same arrow.  Powerful bows will break lines and also bury arrows into the cattail roots.

Offline fishwhackin

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
If you are using a muzzy style, 888, 808 etc reel setup do not use a safety slide.  Safety slides are good for the bottle reels and in windy conditions where you cannot keep the line from tangling around your hand or rest.  Reason for not using them with a muzzy style reel etc. is that it will not let you know if you have forgot to push your release button and cause a snap back.  Sometimes it will strip out your reel or snap your string but your teeth and eyes will appreciate you not using a safety slide.
Be careful shooting straight down into rocks without a spring pin being inserted through your arrow and tip.  I have never experienced a snap back due to my reel but I have twice in one day had an arrow shaft bust the epoxy while hitting a rock dead on and shoot straight back at my face out of the water without the tip.
Western Washington bowfishing?  Be careful to not shoot grass carp and have fun explaining to the police and WDFW why you are shooting fish and how you are not a terrorist threat when the liberals on Lake Washington call you in for not breaking the law.
Overall, I prefer the muzzy reel over a retriever style any day of the week since I can "reel" my fish in vice hand pulling the line.  I use 200# brownell fast flight line and seldom lose any arrows due to the line strength.  However, that crap will burn a scar into the back of your hand that will hurt like no other when sweating in the summer sun when not using a safety slide and minding your line slack/position.
Hopefully this will help a little.
Enjoy!

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 10:10:04 AM »
There was a video on one of the suppliers websites about snap back.  If you just tie to the end of the arrow that line has slack in it when you fire off a shot.  In the video, that line can throw a hitch around your bowstring and cause a snap back.  If using an 888 or 808 means not using a safety slide, I wouldn't consider anything but the bottle reel.

Offline camano gibby

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
Huntingfool, Fishwackin

Good info for the newbie.  Appreciate the pros and cons of the 2 types of reel/retriever set ups from experienced bow fisherman.  Like the simplicity and safety of operation of the bottle rigs.....like the ability of being able to play the fish with a Muzzy reel.  Have noticed on many videos that the Muzzy style seems to be the reel of choice for the seasoned bow fisherman.  Still haven't made up my mind on which way to go yet.

Thanks again for the help......Gibby

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 12:05:39 AM »
Not a member of a bow fishing org, but a long time Member of silver arrow Bowmen and we have taken trips over there.
Winchester waste way both side of 90, Moses lake, North end of potholes are all great places.

Polarized sun glasses
, wide brimmed hats, sun screen, and electric motors are all great things to have.

:yeah:

Offline camano gibby

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:58:49 AM »
Just pulled the trigger.......ordered a Juice bow and kit from AMS.  The no tax and free shipping covered the extra goodies ordered, arrows, nocks, points, etc.

The addiction begins

Gibby

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]