collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey Choke  (Read 8465 times)

Offline MuleyontheWall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Turkey Choke
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »
Just to give you an example of how many different combos I try..I just bought a new benelli today..and with it for turkey i bought 3 different turkey choke tubes and I have 4 different types of ammo to try out to see what patterns best in this new gun...

Offline dirty.dan4

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Dan, there is some good info avail at the Cabelas calling seminar.. I would suggest you check it out if you can make it. 
I will try to make it.  Thanks

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 10:23:08 PM »
What chokes did you get? I just patterned my CZ which has the same choke as your Benelli. The Comp-n-choke and Indian Creek chokes just rocked out of that thing. Really great patterns with winchester lead 6's among others.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »
Dirty Dan, what SxS do you hunt with? I just patterned mine and got some great results. What are you shooting? I may be able to point you in the right direction. Shot / chokes/ etc.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline MuleyontheWall

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 10:26:38 PM »
I just hit sportsmans in burlington which didnt have a whole lot so i got the jellyhead from primos and that undertaker choke..and i have the factory benelli turkey choke..i forget the number on it..got the jellyhead cause im wanting to try the hevishot and its supose to be built just for that but we'll see how that goes...

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:13 PM »
Jellyheads are good. My buddies Benelli shoots #6 hevi's real well and Federal flight control lead #6 2 1/4 oz. Don't over look lead though. i have yet to get any non tox load to pattern as well as lead. Good luck to you. That undertaker is a little weak, my friend has that too but it's better than the factory choke. Make sure it's a Undertaker H.S. That means it's OK for Hevi Shot.

Good luck.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline MuleyontheWall

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
It is the HS Undertaker...thats two of the four rounds I have to try out..got some hevishot and the federal with the wadcontrol..I've always shot #5..

Offline Gutpile

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
You may want to just try some 6 if you get a chance. The 5's are good. But sometimes the turkey chokes are tight enough that the smaller shot patterns better. I killed a turkey dead at 45 last year with 6 lead. It definately has the power. Some guys are worried it doesn't. 5's should do well though. I can't wait to get out into the woods chasin them dumb birds.  :IBCOOL: good luck to you.

My buddies benelli did pretty good with 5's. My BPS and CZ SxS wont shoot anything but 6 though.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline fishunt247

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »
Dan, like NWTF said, diaphrams are the most versatile if you can use them. Don't overlook the box call though. To my ear, and if they are good ones and used properly, sound the most realistic. And they are easy to get decent at.

Mule, I have the jellyhead for my Benelli SBE II. I had it for my Nova too before I sold that gun. In both guns the federal heavyweight (like their hevishot) patterned horribly. So did the flightcontrol. I patterned Hevishot 6's with minimal success too. My best patterns came from the Winchester Supreme 3" #6s. I know they are far cheaper than hevishot and heavyweight, but they pattern a lot better than those two loads out of my gun.

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
Oh, forgot to mention a Wing Bone call.  If you want true sound you cant beat em !!!!

Any of you new guys confused yet......LOL.

Offline MuleyontheWall

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Fishunt..I've always kinda stayed away from any of the winchester turkey loads...I could never get any of them to pattern good in both of our 870's...they kick hard but the pattern was just all over the place..not saying its bad ammo...just didnt work for us..this benelli could be totally different..

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »
Don't over look lead though.

Very good point.  I've had extremely good luck with great patterns and killing abality with the Win High Velocity loads.... 3 1/2" 2oz  6s in my 835 Moss.  Very nice patterns from 10-40 with max range of about 45. 

Offline turkey slayer

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
Mule, have you tried the rem. nitro turkey patterns really well out of my Benilli, tried alot of brands through out the years and they seem to patern the best with that undertaker. I use the 3 1/2, 2 oz , 5 shot

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
I am shooting #5 nitro turkey loads out of my charles daly gun through a primo's jelly head and that combo patterns well out to 50 yards. i won't shoot past 40, but it works beyond.
i also have a carlsons tube i was using too...can't remember the restriction right off hand, but it worked pretty well too with the same loads.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline dirty.dan4

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 10:17:25 AM »
Dirty Dan, what SxS do you hunt with? I just patterned mine and got some great results. What are you shooting? I may be able to point you in the right direction. Shot / chokes/ etc.

I hunt with a CZ Bobwhite 3inch 12 gauge.  I have a full choke already

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal