collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking at quads/ atvs.  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: looking at quads/ atvs.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »
Found my Big Red ATC250ES for $400 bucks, ready to rock and roll!  :tup:  Has full racks front to back, electric start, shaft drive, full automatic transmission with reverse gear, and a trailer hitch to boot...What more could you ask for?  :dunno:

I think one of those fell out of my tread on one of my tires when I was washing it one time.  :chuckle:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2018, 04:52:08 PM »
Found my Big Red ATC250ES for $400 bucks, ready to rock and roll!  :tup:  Has full racks front to back, electric start, shaft drive, full automatic transmission with reverse gear, and a trailer hitch to boot...What more could you ask for?  :dunno:

I think one of those fell out of my tread on one of my tires when I was washing it one time.  :chuckle:
Oh yeah,  I heard about that one! You're that hit-and-run guy (The Brown's Camp Killer?) on the "America's Most Wanted" show, right?  :4w:  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:02:33 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 05:20:52 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I am in the market for an affordable 4x4 quad for the property.  :twocents:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline Scvette

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
 >:(
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I am in the market for an affordable 4x4 quad for the property.  :twocents:

Affordable is a relative term. Do you want one that can do everything you need? Mines on the high end but it's still brand new. Power steering,winch,tow hitch and all the power you'd ever need.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2018, 06:57:19 PM »
One thing to consider, the more displacement your quad has the more work it does for you. Like wise the other way around. I have a 800 can am xt. That model is the same size as a 400 but with insane power. Makes a abuts difference on the trail , or better yet off the trail. I also have a 750 brute force , that thing is huge but holy cow is it a monster of bottom end power.

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2018, 07:42:53 PM »
We have 5 Honda rancher 350's all 4x4 and have had no issues over the last 15 years and they go anywhere.  Largest guy is 280lbs.  motor is actually a 329cc but they call it a 350.  I have ridden some of the bigger quads and don't really like them and find they actually go less places because of weight and width.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 08:54:17 AM »
3 wheelers are a death trap.

For people that don't know how to ride them

I owned one when they first came out. A Yamaha 200 or 250, don't remember. I rode mine all over and never had any problems, my buddy did. I traded mine for Colt 1911 45 Model 70 which I still have..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
I used to be Honda only guy, had the first 4 trax in our area....many, many moons ago... then had Rubicons, Recon, 650 Kawasaki with tracks on it.... Last buy was a Can Am Outlander 1000 that I sold 2 years ago.... missed it so much I have a new Can AM Outlander XT arriving this coming Monday. Look hard at Can Am they are bullet proof, easy starters, and a great ride in my opinion. With being able to make them street legal in many areas, sometimes the bigger machines are nice, plus never lack for power in the mountains. Good Luck in your search!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 11:40:53 PM »
3 wheelers are a death trap.

For people that don't know how to ride them

I owned one when they first came out. A Yamaha 200 or 250, don't remember. I rode mine all over and never had any problems, my buddy did. I traded mine for Colt 1911 45 Model 70 which I still have..

Allright...what's it gonna be? - I think you know that the ole Tri-motos were a ton of fun and the ole "death trap" shouters were just being paid by the libs at CBS and Barbara Wah-Wah and 20/20 to drink the Kool-aid.  :chuckle:

Youtube vid: Minute 1:55 guy explains how a Honda basically magically killed his son by itself. "IT DID IT! I don't care was Honda says, that Honda killed him!"

Same analogy to the school shooter "activists" wanting to ban AR-15's because it's the evil gun that did it.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:51:13 PM by Calvin Rayborn »

Offline zugbug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 08:49:59 AM »
Like others have said can't go wrong with a Honda Rancher 420.  I have been looking at ATV's the last year.  Finally got tired of riding double on my buddies Honda Foreman/Rubicon.  I am 6'2" and about 240lbs, decided on the Honda Rubicon (475cc) the Ranchers big brother.  Went with power steering and auto/push button shift and can't be happier.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
3 wheelers are a ton of fun, um were anyway.  If you are not experienced they are dangerous in certain ways.  Corners, off camber front misplaced, ruts, turning on a hill!!  Front is very light up hill wheelie, downhill weight transfer sketchy etc.  So in comparison yes they are for experienced riders to say the least.  I don't care for em.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
3 wheelers are a ton of fun, um were anyway.  If you are not experienced they are dangerous in certain ways.  Corners, off camber front misplaced, ruts, turning on a hill!!  Front is very light up hill wheelie, downhill weight transfer sketchy etc.  So in comparison yes they are for experienced riders to say the least.  I don't care for em.
Good points - Experience does make a big difference, but even most newbies can do a lot with a good tri-moto as long as they are responsible and don't try to ride beyond the machine's capabilities. Out here on the East side, many three-wheelers can be found in good shape for ridiculosly low prices, and can still be a great option for an outdoorsman on a budget.   MANY MANY more people have been injured or killed on 4-wheelers than 3 wheelers just due to the sheer numbers produced / popularity factor, as well as the same issue of  lack of caution;  that anybody can just hop on and twist the throttle and fly!!!  :yike: :yike: :bdid: Like Honda says --- STUPID HURTS!  :yeah:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 05:25:41 PM »
$1500.00 not $400.00  I found a lot of them so far, one a 1993 300 cc might be too old has lots of options tho. $2300.00, found a few for around $4500.00 newer with lots of stuff. winches etc. Racks. new one cost too much. Looks to me that a patient guy with cash can make a hell of a buy, I will wait for that. Thanks for your help

Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 06:19:37 PM »
I highly recommend the Rancher 420. Had one for several years, the only reason I sold it was I wanted a little more room when riding double with my wife.

Keep in mind a lot of the 500 class machines use the same chassis as the 700-800 size machines. If you want a mid size machine, you'll probably have to stay below 500cc. What ever you get, spend the extra for power steering especially if you go 4x4.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]