collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Skagit spring bear  (Read 8617 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Skagit spring bear
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:10 PM »
It was a lot of time and evenings spent looking for one.  Just wasn't seeing the bears like I did last time I drew the tag in 2012.  I was seeing a fair amount of peels probably being caused by a handful of bears. I tied pink ribbon where I was finding fresh peels.  I would go at sun up, but not seeing anything other than deer, elk, bobcats and grouse.  Most of the activity seemed to be happening an hour before dark and I believe the bears were peeling after dark.  I would come back up the next morning at sunrise and several more trees would be peeled in one of the areas I had focused.  I think all the logging activity had them sitting in the thick.  I talked to another friend that had the tag that focused most of his effort off of HWY 9 and he saw 5 bears.
I saw a huge black one that I never was able to put on the ground.  I was burned out at the end.  Called the neighbor the last day and asked if he wanted to go with me.  Went to one of the spots I saw the black bear.  We were walking one of the roads and this color phase brown stepped out in front of us at about 70 yards.  I put the crosshairs on it where I was aiming and pulled the trigger.  It turned to bite at its side. Spun around and dumped into a drainage.  All I could think was oh s**t he dumped into a steep SOB.  Luckily I walked over to the edge and he was piled up 20 yards down.  Not a big one like the black one I wanted.  Filled the tag.  I think I put on close to 1,600 miles and hiked close to 70 miles.  I earned this one. 
The first bear taken, I passed the hunter coming in as I was heading out.  The sun was starting to set.  He got one shortly after we passed one another.  The second hunter shot his bear on the second day of his hunt as he was working his way out for the day.  I kind of wish this had been the case for me as I focused on bears vs. lingcod, shrimp and halibut.  Drew the tag twice and filled it both times.  Averaged 20 days afield both times to fill the tag.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
Sweet man glad you got it done. ANOTHER COLOR BEAR!!!! Man all I can kill is blacks up there :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 01:21:37 PM »
Congrats. Beautiful bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »
Sweet man glad you got it done. ANOTHER COLOR BEAR!!!! Man all I can kill is blacks up there :chuckle:

I am having the opposite luck.  Only color phase.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 01:37:51 PM »
Congrats on getting rewarded with all the time and effort you put in.

Not a lot of color phase bears up there.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »

I am having the opposite luck.  Only color phase.

:chuckle: I need to take you out hunting when you have a tag and you take me :chuckle: Trade!!!!
The other guys I have hunted with and helped have all killed black. Must be east sider thing? :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal