collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Snow at the Colockum  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Duckhunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
Re: Snow at the Colockum
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
Hard to tell when antlers had already been shed

Unless your spotter zoomed in well enough to check to see if they had a twig and berries it would be darn near impossible to tell.  :chuckle:
Are you guys serious? You can literally see where the pedicle was attached on a buck. With a spotter it's pretty easy at 500 yds. Every deer I looked over was a doe or fawn.  I'd put money on it.

Anyway, not as many bucks in that unit as I'd expect.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Pretty easy to tell with a mature buck, the pedicle is much easier to see and their bodies are so much different. On smaller immature bucks it can be really difficult to spot. their hair can almost cover up the pedicle. I passed a large group of deer last weekend, glassed them quickly with my 15's and surmised they were all does and fawns. On my way back through the area they were closer to the road and I thought there was no way that a buck or two wasn't in the bunch. Glassed them again and sure enough, two shed bucks. Not saying you missed anything, but the bucks that would be with does right now would probably be tough to spot, especially at 500 yards.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline ian_padron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Snow at the Colockum
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
Hard to tell when antlers had already been shed

Unless your spotter zoomed in well enough to check to see if they had a twig and berries it would be darn near impossible to tell.  :chuckle:
Are you guys serious? You can literally see where the pedicle was attached on a buck. With a spotter it's pretty easy at 500 yds. Every deer I looked over was a doe or fawn.  I'd put money on it.

Anyway, not as many bucks in that unit as I'd expect.

Pretty easy to tell with a mature buck, the pedicle is much easier to see and their bodies are so much different. On smaller immature bucks it can be really difficult to spot. their hair can almost cover up the pedicle. I passed a large group of deer last weekend, glassed them quickly with my 15's and surmised they were all does and fawns. On my way back through the area they were closer to the road and I thought there was no way that a buck or two wasn't in the bunch. Glassed them again and sure enough, two shed bucks. Not saying you missed anything, but the bucks that would be with does right now would probably be tough to spot, especially at 500 yards.
Good point Duckhunter. Coulda been some lil squirts in the bunch.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal