collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: wolf in my backyard !?  (Read 5362 times)

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
wolf in my backyard !?
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »
so i've written and deleted this post before publishing over a dozen times since our first encounter.  All i can tell you is what we saw and you can make your own judgements about it.  Wife and I bought some land outside of Yelm between Lawrence and Clear lakes and had our dream house built on it.  During the build had our dirt/excavator guy build a shooting berm 100 yards off our back deck so we could shoot our guns anytime we wanted.  Berm is about 20 feet tall and 60 feet wide in the shape of an inverted U.  Moved in late June of last year.  A lot of deer around so its cool watching them hanging out in our backyard.  Middle of last November I'm standing in our bedroom early a.m. getting dressed and I see a pair of legs walking along the top of the berm.  Long tall tan legs is all I see so i think its one of the resident deer until it clears a couple trees and i see it doesn't have that elongated neck and a dog head and bushy tail.  I stand there for a moment coming to grips with what i am seeing.  I hurry out to the living room and tell the wife to look out at the berm.she sees it as well.  It is still standing there staring at our house. it's about 36" at the back, tanish brown looks like a deer but with the dog face and bushy tail...walks over the side of berm and it's gone.  For comparison we have a chocolate lab that weighs 85 lbs and this was a foot taller, and at least a foot longer.  Inner legs were tan like a blacktail deer but body was tan/grey.  mullled it over for a while and thought it could be a wolf...kinda kept it within the family cuz didn't think anyone would believe me.  put out some trail cams but for the next month all i got was pics of some does around the property.  Fast forward to this past Friday.  Just getting out of the shower and wife comes busting in saying it's back on the berm.  I charge out to the the living room windows and it is already gone.  She tells me the same story---way long legged canine, tan inside legs with a tan/gray body-dog head and a bushy tail staring at the house.  Trail cams went back up.  can't tell you what it is but i can tell you what i saw.  I've been hunting for 40 years and can tell you it wasn't no coyote.  went on the WDFW website to report a wolf sighting and found out there are 2 other reports in the exact same area.  I know what i saw so thats all i know.  Haters gonna hate but i saw what i saw....whether it was a cross i don't know but it's kinda unnerving having that thing wandering around 100 yards from my house
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline big wood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • hit em on the high note
  • Groups: wsta,nra,mba
Re: wolf in my backyard !?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
Coyote, shoot it

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
 :yeah:
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
I hope you get some pics on trail cams.

Offline STARVATION

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
Moving target, take the challenge.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 10:28:01 PM »
What shape was the tail? Curled or straight or ?? It sounds huge if it was a foot taller and a foot longer than a 85 pound lab.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 12:38:36 AM »
Cross breed as you suggested. shoot it for trespassing.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 05:25:04 AM »
Why do you keep messing with it? Put it out of it's misery, no collar dispatch it
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »
During the build had our dirt/excavator guy build a shooting berm 100 yards off our back deck so we could shoot our guns anytime we wanted.  Berm is about 20 feet tall and 60 feet wide in the shape of an inverted U

OK - that's it - I'm totally jealous!!!!!!!!!
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »
Brew.  There is, or was a gal just up the road from you that raises wolves.  A few years back 6 got out and one made it to my place about 7 or so miles from you.  My neighbor shot it and it was a full blood wolf.  I know of at least one wolf up in Vail.  It was seen by at least a dozen folks that I know of.  There have also been sightings over by the steam plant.  There are a few around this area but it is tough to determine wether it is a wild wolf or one that came over from that crazy lady that raises them.  According to the WDFW we don't have any on this side of the state so it is fair game.  Treat it as I do with stray dogs that wind up in with my cows.  Blap, one it the cap.

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »
ive had a black german shepard looking thing run out in front of me one time in 667, idk what it was but definetly not a coyote!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 10:25:59 AM »
Long history of wolf hybrids around.  Polar probably knows best.  Your area has plenty of cover and feed, deer, elk, chickens.  If its not a pet I would politely chase it away but don't hurt its feelings.  Could claim it accidental if its standing on your shooting berm!   :chuckle:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 04:27:08 PM »
People have sited wolves in bald hills and vail area as well as in Kapowsin and other such areas yet wdfw ignores them. I would shoot, shovel, and shutup. Just my  :twocents:

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2018, 03:39:23 PM »
i've heard stories of someone in the neighborhood that used to have wolves...this is crazy sh*t cuz i've seen them and had them walking around my property....don't care if its an actual wolf, wolf hybrid or what the hell ever it is...all i can tell you is there is something walking around my property the size of a blacktail deer with fangs looking to eat meat...thats pretty god dam unnerving....
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »
If you shoot it, make sure you drag it inside your house. Makes for a stronger self-defense argument.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]