collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunter education required to submit permit applications?  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Hunter education required to submit permit applications?
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »
I don't know if this was approved, but I assume so.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/2018/wsr_18-03-177.pdf

WAC 220-412-080 Special hunting season permits.
This proposal revises wording in the “once in a lifetime” part of special hunting permits for moose, to reflect the proposed change in hunt categories from “any moose” to “antlered bull moose.” Any “point” accumulated under the “any moose” category will be transferred to the “antlered bull moose” category.

Additionally applicants for special hunting season permits will be required to either complete hunter education prior to submitting a permit application, or be exempt from the hunter education requirement.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Hunter education required to submit permit applications?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
 What will they do with kids already accruing points?

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:15 PM »
I imagine they won't be able to apply for hunts, I'm sure they won't take away points.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »
Yep, just glad I got my kids moose points while I could. Although with only one moose tag now in the youth category it probably won't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »
This is a sad rule change. The youth are the future ambassadors of the outdoors and this just might be the lynchpin that holds their interest and involvement.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
This is a sad rule change. The youth are the future ambassadors of the outdoors and this just might be the lynchpin that holds their interest and involvement.

Absolutely agree.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »
I personally don't feel it's that doom and gloom.  Realistically even starting them at birth with points will have no measurable effect on their chances at moose, sheep, goat.  As bobcat stated, with only 1 youth moose permit available in the youth category, they don't even have a realistic chance at that tag.  If anything it will force points out of the youth system which isn't a terrible thing.  You already had to have hunter ed and tags to apply for youth deer and elk anyways so change is minimal.  I have an 8 and 6 year old who have max points for their age fyi
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
I think they did the right thing by eliminating this loophole. I think the majority of hunters didn't know about it anyway. And it was an unfair advantage to those who did. It only affects moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat application requirements, so it's not really an issue that's going to keep young people from becoming interested in hunting. There are plenty of opportunities for special deer hunts for kids, in both general season and special permit hunts.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:32:48 PM »
 Couldn't they have simply required the purchase of a hunting license to apply, like they do for deer/elk?

This would have raised revenue as well, non residents wouldn't be able to apply quite so easily.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »
Couldn't they have simply required the purchase of a license to apply, like they do for deer/elk?

This would have raised revenue as well, non residents wouldn't be able to apply quite so easily.

Which license?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Couldn't they have simply required the purchase of a license to apply, like they do for deer/elk?

can't buy a deer or elk combo without passing hunters ed so that's basically exactly what they did.  They'd have to create an oil license or big game license and then split the deer elk bear cougar into a separate tag purchase.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 12:38:00 PM »

can't buy a deer or elk combo without passing hunters ed so that's basically exactly what they did.  They'd have to create an oil license or big game license and then split the deer elk bear cougar into a separate tag purchase.

Not quite, the way they are implementing it leaves non residents still able to apply on the cheap.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:55 PM »
Ah ok I get what you're saying.  I was on the youth only mindset.  Yes you are correct.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:56:22 PM »
Ah ok I get what you're saying.  I was on the youth only mindset.  Yes you are correct.

No way does WDFW miss a opportunity to raise revenue either, this tells me it is a conscious decision on their part to keep non residents able to apply without purchasing a license.

Think about it, the only difference in their approach on this is non residents are not affected. If they required a hunting license purchase before hunting, it would have the same effect on parents applying their newborns and results they are looking for.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 01:24:55 PM »
I agree, at this trajectory, good luck in my kids drawing an OIL tag.  Both of mine have passed the class, so it won't impact us.  I'm fine either way as it doesn't really change much.

If anything, I would support taking adult tags and assigning them to youth. :peep:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal