collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)  (Read 15169 times)

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp? (Update)
« on: May 06, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
My cousin had a long and lengthy battle with cancer a few years back and came out on top.  He went through months and months of chemo and other treatments and with Gods helping hand and determination he’s currently cancer free.  That said, one of the major side effects with all the treatment is mobility in his feet.  He can’t hike long distances but can get up and down rugged terrain, slow and steady.  He and I were visiting about the possibility of teaming up and applying as a 2 person group for muzzy elk in the Peaches Ridge area.  He’s accumulated (like many others) a boat load of points and I’m sitting on 13.  Let’s skip forward and assume we get drawn; I’m well aware of the odds game so lets keep this discussion to the question at hand.

If we got drawn our plan would be to hire an Outfitter for a drop camp.  Given anyone’s experience, how far of a horseback ride would you want to get away from the roads?  I’d say a 5-6 mile ride would be all he could handle given the issues with blood flow to his feet.  Once at camp, assuming we get dropped in the heart of elk country, what’s the likelihood of being able to call a bull within .5-1 mile from camp?  Do most drop camps setup a couple miles out of the good areas or could a guy get put right into elk given this scenario?  Any recommendations on Outfitters, drop camps, do’s or don’t would be greatly appreciated.  There’s plenty of post on Peaches Ridge but this scenario is a bit different.

Thank you in advance for your input, I appreciate it!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 08:04:16 PM by Hoythunter »

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Peaches Ridge / Drop Camp?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:31:40 PM »
Honestly you don't need an outfitter.  If you draw get in touch with me. I will gladly put you on a bull.  And all it would cost is a handshake.  Good luck in the draw.

Rtspring
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 05:48:30 PM »
Wow, doesn’t get much better than that.  Even given his mobility issues?  We’d really like to get off the main trail and figured with the issue at-hand perhaps horseback would be the best bet?

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 05:54:37 PM »
If you get drawn and need a packer or any help shoot me a pm.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
That’s what I love about this site!  Thank you

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
Wow, doesn’t get much better than that.  Even given his mobility issues?  We’d really like to get off the main trail and figured with the issue at-hand perhaps horseback would be the best bet?

Plenty of great spots he could access without major hiking issues or using a horse.  Remember, for the muzzy guys the bulls are still screaming...
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »
Two things to keep in mind.  First, much of the unit is burned.

Second, if you are away from roads and trails, you are in tough country.  Very steep and/or very thick woods.

Those tags are good in that it is easy to have areas to yourself.  People are spread out with very few obvious areas with several groups.  Very easy to day hunt close or moderate distances from roads and an easier camp at night.

Good luck, hard tags to draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 06:57:33 PM »
I think we like the idea of gritting out a horseback ride (won’t be a comfortable trip for him) and sleep in the heart of elk country.  Anyone have experience with White Pass or other drop camps?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 07:04:09 PM »
I would look at the Muzzy Season.  Rifle can be some work, serious work.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 07:06:57 PM »
After the burn last year you may be better off going to goose prairie for a back country hunt and it may be easier to draw. Most of peaches is accessible by either truck or motorcycle so your back country experience may be hard to come by. Have you considered going out of state?

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
Agree with carbon hunter. Look at the William O. and I will add the Goat Rocks (Rimrock side) if you are looking for a back country hunt.

Too early to tell what kind of restrictions may be put in place for trails in the burn scar until the forest circus can put boots on the ground. No doubt there is trail damage and trees down. Not very scenic when most of the wilderness is burnt.

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
All good info, thank you very much.

All we ever hunt anymore is Idaho; actually have hunted N Idaho elk the past 25 years straight.  I started putting in for WA when I was hunting both states pretty hard but to be I haven’t stepped foot in a WA unit in over a decade.  I, like most, feel committed to the points game in hopes someday Lady Luck strikes.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 07:41:17 PM »
All good info, thank you very much.

All we ever hunt anymore is Idaho; actually have hunted N Idaho elk the past 25 years straight.  I started putting in for WA when I was hunting both states pretty hard but to be I haven’t stepped foot in a WA unit in over a decade.  I, like most, feel committed to the points game in hopes someday Lady Luck strikes.

If you already hunt Idaho why not go for Sawtooth if your considering hiring a guide?  Same cost way better hunt.

If you are lucky enough to draw a peaches tag just hunt from a base camp. No need for an outfitter. If you want a backcountry experience, get it in Idaho.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 07:49:33 PM »
Vegetation will be nuclear in the burn.  Elk will be in there thick.  I'd have an outfitter plop me right in the middle of it.  That being said, ID think you guys would be more efficient having a good comfortable base camp to recharge in every night.  Backcountry not needed in peaches but it is the most fulfilling way to hunt.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Hoythunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
All Idaho is DIY, no need to hire a guide.  WA is a totally different story.  In summary due to his limitations scouting would be extremely difficult.  In the event we got drawn we’d rely on help getting us into the country we need to be.  Trust me, my cousin was born and raised in MT, dad was an Outfitter, and he’s use to busting his ass.  This handicap has turned his world upside down when it comes to hunting style so we’re simply trying to maximize the opportunity given his disability.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]