collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: bad day in Neah bay  (Read 4786 times)

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
bad day in Neah bay
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:13:33 PM »
Spent the week up in Neah bay with my fishing crew, nice weather but seriously bad waves, pretty nasty seen a ton of people get sick including me LOL.  We fished wed thru sunday, did well on small halibut out on table top, a few lings and tons of bass.  We got two huge Cabazon, biggest I've seen.  Each day we went thru the gut between hole in the wall and Tatoosh island. Always a bad washing machine but on Friday when we went thru we heard tons of radio traffic a half hour after we went thru, it was bad and stood my 21 Thunder Jet Luxor on its ass a few times.  Later we found out a boat sank and one man died.  Talk to a guy who was behind us and behind the boat that sunk and he said there were several boats helping out and saved two of the crew. Put a damper on a great day of fishing, thoughts to the family!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/washington/articles/2018-05-12/man-dies-after-fishing-boat-capsizes-off-cape-flattery

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: bad day in Neah bay
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:17:12 PM »
That's funny, that spot by Tatoosh was my go to spot for cabezon as well.   :chuckle:  We caught some monsters out of there.  Got tossed around one time and wound up in 16' swells in my 18' flat bottom work boat.  Scary ride back to Neah Bay. Had to power up to the top of a swell and surf it all the way.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
My buddy pulled those guys out of the water, including the fella who didn’t survive. Rough deal....
Go hawks

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
Neah bay is the real deal.  What kind of boat were they in?  Did they loose power?
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »
The only time I got a little sea sick was halibut at Neah.  HUGE waves that were about 20 seconds apart.  Haven't been back since lol.  Sorry to hear about the sailor lost.  PFD!!

Offline trophyelk6x6

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:53:11 PM »
There was construction going around Lake C so we took 112, slow......Our buddy showed up thur night and showed us some pics of a big 24 plus foot boat in the ditch where someone took a corner too fast, boat came off the trailer and landed facing the off the trailer.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:11:12 PM »
There was construction going around Lake C so we took 112, slow......Our buddy showed up thur night and showed us some pics of a big 24 plus foot boat in the ditch where someone took a corner too fast, boat came off the trailer and landed facing the off the trailer.

Ouch! Twice I have passed by scenes like this on the way to Neah Bay for halibut season in recent years. I've been the guy on the side of the road with a blown trailer wheel bearing as well. Those roads aren't for the impatient!

Very sad to hear about the drowned fisherman. Not the first life claimed in that cut.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
That is terrible, sorry for the family.  I've puked plenty of times out there and seen some really bad waves. One dead motor in the wrong spot and people are in very serious trouble.  God bless your friends lewy that helped out the survivors.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 09:14:16 PM »
Neah bay is the real deal.  What kind of boat were they in?  Did they loose power?

I heard a 24' Duckworth. Sounds like they got picked up from the Stern by a quartering wave and driven into the rock's.  Experienced captain to.....

RIP to the deceased.

The slot is a nasty place even for big boats and experienced captains. Be careful out there.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:25:47 PM »
Man that is sad. I think the super short seasons are the biggest issue, give us a hand full of days to go do what we love to do and people are going to head out in questionable waters that they wouldn’t normally head out in. It seems to be the theme for the last few years or more. I know I have. RIP

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
It was nasty out there Friday. I went out to Tatoosh on the outside after talking to a couple of the charter boats that made it out. I have a 17' arima and it was some of the hariest water I have put the boat in. I made it to about the far edge of Tatoosh and turned around. According to a buddy the rip was nasty for about a mile and a half past Tatoosh before it cleared up.

Bummer for the guy from Sequim. That's the second life claimed there in two years. Just over a year ago one of my employees and friends was washed off the rocks while harvesting muscles directly under the lookout platform. Those waves can stack up huge in there.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 06:14:40 AM »
saw this on another board and thought it was worth a repost- RIP on the deceased
Says it was a 24ft Duckworth that went down

I was about 70 yrds away fishing between fuca's pillar and the hole when this went down. Heard the call from the rescue boat (great presence of mind whomever was on the radio and patience with a coastie that just wasn't getting it that the boat actually sank). We pulled gear and ran right over to help look for the 3rd still in the water. Concentrated on looking along the rocks on the flattery side in case he was able to swim to shore and looked like the other two boats had the outflowing tide drift covered in their search pattern. Third guy was pulled in and CPR started a few minutes after we arrived and a few minutes before the coast guard boat arrived from the south. Was heartbreaking to see the CPR continuing after the first couple critical minutes and continue after coasties boarded the rescue boat and they headed for port. A very sobering event to be sure.

I too have really struggled understanding how a boat that is easily twice as seaworthy as my 21' underpowered Trophy went down and would love a first-hand report from the captain if/when he is able so that others can learn.

What I can comment on is my first-hand observations of the sea conditions there at that time and potential associated risks. I'm almost hesitant to share my observations as it may be taken as critical of the captain's judgement and i'm sure he's dealing with enough right now. However, I'll say my piece in case it may help prevent a future accident.

First off - no life jackets on! There is no excuse for that especially in ocean waters. If you have the need for a life jacket at all you need to have it on! [Bleeeeep!], obviously, happens fast and there is no time to don a jacket unless you think your only risk of being in the water is a slow leak you see coming. As a captain, no one on my boat has the option of not wearing their life jacket. Don't want to wear one, you're staying on the dock. The two survivors were very lucky as was the family of the deceased that he was still floating and was found. Would he have survived if wearing a life jacket? We'll never know but it could have helped keep his head out of the water and allowed him to be spotted sooner which could have made all the difference.

Sea Conditions:
Visibility wasn't an issue at the time as some gamies were implying at the dock when talking to people headed out giving them safety warnings. The strait side of the passage wasn't an issue and the outside ocean had large but consistent swells moving through at a good rate of speed. The general area just past the wash rocks is always a washing machine with confused seas caused by swell bounce-back and crisscrossing. Can be nasty when fishing and I could see a boat being flipped if overloaded or everyone leaning over one side of the boat while a nasty hits the other. However this was not the most dangerous condition happening at the time.

There was a strong outgoing current coming through the passage undercutting and standing up the swells coming in forming what I call "sawtooth" waves that were moving fast and with short spacing (period). Not quite breakers but with a nasty steep face on them. When heading out into them you might bury a bow but unless you're really mishandling your throttle timing you're probably not going to flip your boat. Running with those waves (following seas) is a whole nother story and the most dangerous. I could see running in from table top with no issues running in the trough or even cresting and surfing down the swells and making the mistake of just continuing on in through the hole without being cognizant in the change. With those conditions of heavy swell meeting strong outgoing current it's much more like a traditional bar crossing that Neah Bay anglers typically don't encounter. You can't just point your bow square with the waves and power through. Once the following sea behind you starts to lift your stern you have to be very decisive about what you do next. You do NOT just let it overtake you or it may lift your stern, push it to one side and roll you quicker than you think possible (look up pitch-pole). Without a firsthand account from the captain this is what I would guess happened.

When that following wave starts to lift your stern you either need to pour on the power (if you have enough) to quickly get out in front of it running in the trough or preferably on the back of the wave in front. If you don't have enough power (or experience) to do that then you need to cut power and allow the wave to pass under you quickly pouring it back on once the crest has passed to give you a little time before the next one overtakes you. Be careful to keep your stern squared up while the face and crest is passing under you and for god's sake, NEVER run in following seas with your trim tabs down as they will give the seas leverage to pitch-pole you or swamp you from behind.

Some have commented above about the possibilities of following seas being a factor in this accident and knowing that they were the most dangerous conditions in this area at the time I thought I'd break it down for those that may learn from the discussion.

In summary, I don't believe the general weather conditions were a specific factor that day, especially for a 24' Duckworth, but rather a 100-yard stretch of dangerous localized sea conditions and a boats running position in the waves.

That said, I'd never encourage anyone to go out in conditions they are not comfortable in no matter the boat you're in as experience, confidence, knowledge and skill of captain counts for a lot more than size, hull design and power of your boat. There's captains I'd be comfortable fishing with in an 18' Whaler in Fridays conditions and captains I wouldn't be comfortable fishing with in a 28' Grady.

BTW - running closer to Tatoosh or the Flattery wash rocks in either the north or south passage through the hole in those conditions, while being unintuitive, is actually safer than running in the middle of the passage where the current is the strongest and waves stacked up the steepest. This requires being intimately familiar with that area and learning it in safer conditions. If in doubt wait for calmer conditions or go around the island.

In closing, with no first-hand account from the captain, no disrespect or pre-judgement made. I just wanted to break down what MAY have taken down such a seaworthy boat in the conditions present at the time so others may learn. I've been handling boats from 14' skiffs to 28' bad ass sportfishers in ocean conditions for the past 40 years and I still learn new things every season that keep me and my crew safer. Even though I've met very few from this site I thank those captains that have shared their experiences good and bad here that i've been able to learn from.

Wear those life jackets! learn the water and specific localized conditions you're likely to encounter and know the capabilities of yourself and your boat!

Needless to say this was a very sobering accident for many and I'll never view that beautiful stretch of water quite the same.
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 07:05:39 AM »
I appreciate your thoughts on this. Seems like very valuable info!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
I heard they were fishing up close to the rocks.  Then a big swell came through and pushed the boat on to the rock.  As the water receded the boat was up on the edge of the rock and then tipped over, sliding back in being capsized. 

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »
@Madmax, I appreciate you sharing that post on here.  Helpful for guys like me that still have a lot to learn.

It can be difficult to have a conversation about these incidents without being unfairly critical of that captain with the benefit of hindsight.  I have done some really dumb things on the Ocean without even realizing it until discussing it or thinking about it after the fact.  In particular, I was fishing between Tatoosh and Flattery a few years ago on a buddy's boat with the engine off.  It was a calm say and we fished for a while but all of a sudden we ended up really close to the rocky really quickly.  The engine sputtered and didn't start up right away.  Started up on the second try and we barely got turned around in a trough. That was plenty of time for me to realize how wrong things could have gone.  I was just lucky and it left a pretty big impression on me.  I've decided not to go out much past mushroom rock anymore unless I'm on a charter or with somebody who knows a lot more than me.  Not worth it for a stupid fish.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal