collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alternatives to the Vortex Viper HD 10x42  (Read 8111 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Alternatives to the Vortex Viper HD 10x42
« on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:35 AM »
Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a proper 10x42 bino this year, and have had my sights (pun intended) set on the Vortex Viper HD 10x42.  I'm hoping to find a good deal on one, but if I can't find a deal before late summer I'll spend up to $500. 

My question is: what other/competing binos should I be watching?  Leupold BX-3?  BX-4?  Something else?  A rock-solid no-questions-asked warranty is vital, so that limits the brands I'm willing to spend $$ on. 

What do you think?

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
Re: Alternatives to the Vortex Viper HD 10x42
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »
When I first registered on this site years ago, some members turned me on to Zen-Ray.  I bought a pair of 10x43s and have found them comparable to Vortex and Leupold for a lower price.  I have replaced my original EDs with an HD set, and still love them.  A couple of buddies of mine that have looked through mine bought a pair for themselves.
I ordered mine through the company, but when I was deciding I stopped at Sportco in Fife and looked through a set (along with Leupy Golden Rings and some Vortex offerings).  I don't know if Sportco still carries them.
 :twocents:   
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
I hadn't heard of Zen-Ray.  Any knowledge of their warranty?  Also, I can't even find a website for them...  They seem to be selling on adorama.com though, so I guess they're still in business?

????

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:32:17 AM »
I have had the the viper hd 10x42’s for the last 4 or 5 years and love them. I would like to sell them to get the new ranging binos that vortex makes when I can justify spending the money. But otherwise I would have no issue keeping them.
If I was to buy a pair now cabelas has them for 499$ and you can usually find a cabelas coupon. Plus you can buy 100$ cabelas gift cards for 80$ on eBay. Meaning you cou could probably have a brand new pair for 400$.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 11:36:33 AM »
Zeiss terra.

Online firepin

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
check out Optics Planet, sign up for email. Good deals, no tax and free shipping.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:56 PM »
I'd put another hundred or two with your money and keep my eye out for the Cabelas EuroHD 10x42s in the bargain cave. I've heard of them going for $600-700.

In all honesty, I love my Swaro SLCs, but I can't lie - I've considered selling them and picking up a pair of these to be money ahead.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
Zeiss terra.
+1 for Terra. Comparible to razors. Buddy just dropped my terras tumbling Dow 20 feet of Rocky slope, still good
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »
Zeiss terra.

+1 for Terra. Comparible to razors. Buddy just dropped my terras tumbling Dow 20 feet of Rocky slope, still good

Does Zeiss have the same warranty as Vortex/Leupold though?

Online Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 04:25:39 PM »
Uhhh.. I guess cancel what I said about Zen Rays.  Looks like they are going (or have gone) out of business (from what I can tell on the internets... :dunno: ).  Too bad.  I really like mine and they were great with the warranty when I dropped a pair and dented the eyecup.  I guess that warranty no longer exists... I'll have to be careful with mine.
If you buy a pair you should get them at a bargain basement price considering there is no one to fix or replace them anymore.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline chiwawadan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 04:38:04 PM »
Check out the Maven C.1

Small company out of Wyoming witht he same Vortex-style no-fault warranty.

You can order a "Demo unit" from their website for $315 + $15 shipping, they send it to you with a return label and you can try it out for a week or two. If you don't like within their allotted time, send it back and you get refunded less the $15 for shipping. Or you keep the glass for cheaper than new.

I just recently did the C.1 demo and decided to keep them. Originally wanted the Vortex Viper HDs, but after looking at reviews decided to demo the Maven C.1. Took them into Cabela's and side-by-side tested with the Vipers (and everything else). They are on par with the Vipers as far as optics is concerned. I preferred the Mavens, honestly. They don't stack up to the Razors or other $700+ binos, but for $330 all said and done they are fantastic. The demos get the same no-fault warranty, with the only exception being if they had to replace an entire unit they would give you another demo unit. My demo unit looked like new. You just don't get a fancy box.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
I’ve found that, for me, anything Vortex over the Diamondbacks lags behind other comparable glass. The Vipers weren’t worth the money, nor were the Razors when I was bino shopping awhile back.

Yeah everyone strokes on their warranty, but honestly who is out there beating the piss out of their binoculars to the level that you’d actually need to worry about the warranty? I get it, we’re in the woods hunting, it’s rough in general, but are you going to be regularly throwing your binos off a cliff? I feel like once you get into $200+ you should be taking care of them. Another thing - let’s face it, if they break 2 Days into a 7 day trip you’re boned anyhow regardless of warranty.

Most optic companies offer a decent warranty these days. I’d rather have to spend a little if I’m a careless idiot with my binoculars and have GREAT glass, than settle for subpar glass just so I can have a warranty that covers my carelessness.

Offline wildwood

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:01 PM »
I’m in the same boat  I’m between vipers. Leupold bx4 or the maven C1    Thinking ordering maven demo and trying them out

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
I was going to come in and recommend the c.1's as well.
I think that is the direction I am going to upgrade over my diamondback's and let those become truck spares.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 11:40:15 AM »
I went in to Cabelas last night and got to look at the Vipers, the new 2018 Vipers, and the BX-4. 

Surprisingly, I found the BX-4s to be substantially better.  I think it had a lot more to do with the shape of my face and hands than the quality of the product per se, but they felt a lot more natural.  There was also truer color in the BX-4 than the old/existing Viper and a little less color fringing.  The new Vipers and the BX-4 seems about equal optically. 

So I guess I'm in the market for a pair of BX-4s now! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal