collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anybody ever build one of these?  (Read 9120 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Anybody ever build one of these?
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
I'm contemplating building an elevated two-person blind, something like the one pictured below.  Does anyone have experience and/or guidance relating to design or other features that might limit my mistakes before they happen?  I'm not planning anything too fancy, just something to get up in elevation, out of the weather, and also allow some occasional standing/stretching movements without alerting the critters out in the reprod. where I plan to put it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Anybody ever build one of these?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:56:49 PM »
Carpet or some kind of sound absorbing material helps a lot.  Bumping your foot against the wall can be noisy.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 06:25:58 AM »
If it were me, I'd make it wide enough to fit a cot in there. 

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »
Yes, we built one. We call it the espresso stand, it’s ridiculously over built  :rolleyes: . I’ll get pictures up later.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 07:16:35 AM »
Ask Tod Reichert.  His tree stand overlooking his oat hat fields is super dee-luxe and set up where several guys can "hunt" in maximum comfort and quiet.  Think you could hold a dance party in there and not alert the critters.   :chuckle:

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 07:55:24 AM »
I don't think ol Tod is up for giving out any advice anymore. I've thought about this too and I would insulate walls floor and ceiling both for noise and for warmth. Removable windows too. I'm curious to see anyone elses pictures.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
Thanks for your responses.  I figured there were quite a few out there, especially on the East side ag. areas. 

The windows are one of the big questions for me.  Some people use framed sliding type; some use a hinged lift up or drop down type.  JPMiller says removable - I'm assuming Plexiglas inserts that could be pulled out for hunting.  A vertical window or two makes sense for use during archery season, though that complicates design and raises costs a bit.  In some ways, keeping it simple with just sliding Plexiglas windows, a flat sloped roof and a lockable door might be all I really need.  A box with four cutout windows and a door.  I imagine it would be used primarily for Muzzleloader or Modern Rifle Season when I'm more likely to hit the road to hunt, but ya never know what might come up down the road.  It would be very easy to get crazy and overbuild.

Carpet seems to be standard on the floor.  In my mind that necessitates the box is absolutely watertight or very exposed to drying breezes. Otherwise, a wet carpet might lead to massive mold/mildew problems if it remained wet for several weeks in a warm box.  Maybe indoor/outdoor carpet ??

I'm thinking that since I'm working alone, I'll build it complete at home, dismantle into workable sections, then re-assemble onsite.  That sounds good in theory.  I'm not sure it is workable in a real life situation.  Things getting a little out of plumb in the field might change alignment of pre-drilled holes etc..  I've got a small tractor that may make up-righting the stand and lifting walls up to the platform easier, but the headache of trailering the tractor two-plus hours each way makes my head hurt just thinking about it.  Assembly starts sounding like a two-day project very quickly.

I'd love to see pics if anyone has some to post.

Thanks again!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:16:44 PM »
Also I'd put some aluminum flashing on (around) your poles to keep mice from climbing up.   

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
Good thought!

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 01:42:05 PM »
I've built numerous elevated stands.  The one thing I would suggest is to not use wood for the supports.  It just doesn't last, even if treated and stained or painted.  Use 2-3" galvanized conduit, depending on the height.  The conduit stands I put up on my place in Missouri have now nearly 25 years on them and still holding.  The wooden ones have long since died.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 02:02:38 PM »
I've built numerous elevated stands.  The one thing I would suggest is to not use wood for the supports.  It just doesn't last, even if treated and stained or painted.  Use 2-3" galvanized conduit, depending on the height.  The conduit stands I put up on my place in Missouri have now nearly 25 years on them and still holding.  The wooden ones have long since died.
not only that but we seem to be getting pretty good at catching Washington on fire these days
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

Interesting.  What hardware do you use to connect conduit legs to the underside of platform?  There are several systems available to attach 4x4 lumber legs so they angle out at an angle.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 03:06:24 PM »
Rigid conduit comes in 10’ pieces. I think I would use 3”” black iron pipe you can get in your desired length. And then just weld black iron beam brackets to the top to support your joists. If you need help? Sounds like fun
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 04:10:42 PM »
There's always this method....

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
deeelux blinds like that are a fantastic way to get kids out hunting, and older folks too.  I'd build it with a wheel chair ramp, drive a hoveround up in it. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]