collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61 of apparent suicide  (Read 9630 times)

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61 of apparent suicide
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 06:09:05 PM »
He was cut from the same cloth as Hunter Thompson and Ernest Hemingway; blunt and pragmatic. Fully aware of the ugliness of the world but still loved humanity deeply.

That must take a toll on people, because they all went the same way.

Also, the clam chowder recipe from his cookbook is the absolute best clam chowder I've ever had.

Go to Wally's in Des Moines, that is the best. :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »
I feel terrible for his daughter.

That has to be devastating.   I'm just not sure how someone can do that to their child.    I'm not trying to be judgmental.    I've just never been at a point where I could leave my kids like that.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »
P-man, you are correct, Bourdain did teach us a lot.  How many men (or women) can you name who truly have an impact on society?  Bourdain was no Churchill, but he certainly had a positive impact on us all. 

I remember being shocked by his exposé on the back of house in NY.  I have no experience in that field, and it was an eye-opener.  I respected him for his work.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 07:56:21 PM »
He always seemed like the kinda guy you could drink with, argue, go outside and duke it out, then dust off and go back in and drink with.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
He was cut from the same cloth as Hunter Thompson and Ernest Hemingway; blunt and pragmatic. Fully aware of the ugliness of the world but still loved humanity deeply.

That must take a toll on people, because they all went the same way.

Also, the clam chowder recipe from his cookbook is the absolute best clam chowder I've ever had.

Go to Wally's in Des Moines, that is the best. :tup:

Wally's is good, but clam chowder is pretty easy if you know what a good chowder is.  I usually use a recipe as a rough guide.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
He was the only reason to ever watch tv. I am kinda heartbroken. And have no reason to ever get tv now.

He made sense of a senseless world through food.
Yeah not many celebs I would care to hang out with or follow on the tube, but he was one.  Just had a certain unrefined style that didn't try to blow smoke.  I guess that's the best way to describe it.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 08:31:20 PM »
Just sucks. I appreciated his abilities and willingness to put it out there. Gone too soon. I hope his finds some peace.
no peace in suicide, an unforgivable sin.  Just don’t get how people can do this to their loved ones, especially their own children. Selfish, the ultimate selfish act.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
Just rewatched the seattle episode of parts unknown. Very sad.

Offline Rubenation1981

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 09:30:44 PM »
Just sucks. I appreciated his abilities and willingness to put it out there. Gone too soon. I hope his finds some peace.
no peace in suicide, an unforgivable sin.  Just don’t get how people can do this to their loved ones, especially their own children. Selfish, the ultimate selfish act.

That's a bit brutal

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 09:46:43 PM »

That's a bit brutal

It may be, but it's the truth.  It's also calling it like it is, like AB probably would have done were he speaking about it.  The world lost a good one, may he find the peace he couldn't here.

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 03:21:38 AM »

That shows a really disturbing level of ignorance.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »
I feel terrible for his daughter.

That has to be devastating.   I'm just not sure how someone can do that to their child.    I'm not trying to be judgmental.    I've just never been at a point where I could leave my kids like that.

You're fortunate and I'm glad to hear it, Dan-O.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
I've dealt with suicide in my family. It's not selfish. It's total despair and not being able to get out of your own head. Personally, several years ago, I was in a dark, dark place. One month to the day after 9/11, my wife of 15 years announced out of the blue that we were done. I was completely overcome with sadness and confusion. I stayed with a friend for a month who was not compassionate and it got worse. Fortunately, I got out of that place and found a volunteer organization which hooked me up to volunteer in a state-supported nursing home. Ever since, if I feel down, I do something for others and it helps immediately. There are a lot of strong people in the world who never face this and will never understand how someone could do this. They are truly fortunate human beings. For the rest of us, finding someone to help can make a world of difference. In the meantime, if you're considering hurting yourself, call the National Suicide Prevention Hotline. 1-800-273-8255.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 06:54:54 AM »
I bet his 11 year old daughter would say it was selfish, sad deal all around. I’ve had a friend recently who ate a bullet.  He left a lot of people in pain and wondering why. It is a selfish act and solves nothing while creating more pain.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 07:02:24 AM »
I understand that empathy is hard for some people.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal