collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shrimp Pot Question  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Shrimp Pot Question
« on: June 08, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »
So I'm wanting to do some shrimping around MA11/13. I realize there's maybe not a ton of shrimp in the area, and I don't have any shrimp pots. Right now, the spot prawn season is closed, so the requirements for shrimp pots are different. You can use smaller mesh (1/2" I think) instead of the larger mesh pots required when spot shrimp is open.

Is it necessary to invest in a couple of the pots with smaller mesh? Do they catch more of the dock/coonstripe shrimp? Or if I use the spot shrimp sized pots will I catch just as many? I don't necessarily mind buying the smaller pots and then picking up the larger ones for spot prawns next season, if there's an advantage to doing so. But I don't want to use the larger mesh pots right now if all the dock and coonstripe shrimp will fall through the mesh.

I'll just be throwing them out while I fish, not going out only for shrimp – just another resource available that I want to take advantage of. If I get a dozen or two shrimp while fishing, I'll be happy.
Thanks for the help!

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Shrimp Pot Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
I haven't done well targeting the coonstripe shrimp in the past but I have caught them in my regular spot prawn traps. You don't really need the smaller mesh traps. I"d reccomend buying the traps that will be legal for both species and then addidng the smaller mesh traps later on if you think you need them.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline knighttime25

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
Either invest in smaller mesh pots or buy smaller mesh and make a couple pots. We have done really well on coonstripes in other marine areas other than the ones you had mentioned. We use simple homemade pots made out of 3/4" rebar and netting. They work very well! If you do make them, make sure and keep the chutes small so that the small dungies and bullhead don't get in there and eat all your catch!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
Yes, you really need the smaller mesh.  I believe John's in Everett has them, others probably do too.

When you used to be able to use the smaller mesh all season, we would catch maybe 50/50 spot and the small ones (coonstripe, pink, etc).  After WDFW changed the regs to require the larger mesh for spot season I don't remember the last time I caught anything other than spots.  Maybe one two every couple of years.  The small guys will simply fall through your big mesh pots as you pull them up.

The smaller species eat great, if you can get on them you won't be disappointed.

Offline Hilltophustler

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Hunter
  • Co-founder of Team Dogleg
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
I bought a smaller mesh pots for coons. I think i got them from amazon. Pretty cheap from what i remember. Where I shrimp for coons there is no way they will stay in the spot prawn pots. Coons are pretty small but perfect size for steelhead bait.  :chuckle:

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »
I’ve been prospecting for coonstripes in the summer for several years with the smaller mesh but haven’t caught a single one. Anyone have advice on the type of bottom to look for? Never had trouble loading up on spot prawns.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 02:55:26 PM »
Thanks for all the help guys!
Hopefully I'll be able to get some smaller shrimp, would love to take advantage of that resource, especially since we can't go crabbing down here.
And heck, if I happened across some spot shrimp (returning them immediately, of course), it would be nice to have a place to go next year that's close to home!

Offline onmygame

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 06:02:39 PM »
I’ve been prospecting for coonstripes in the summer for several years with the smaller mesh but haven’t caught a single one. Anyone have advice on the type of bottom to look for? Never had trouble loading up on spot prawns.

When I was out 2 years ago in MA13, we had larger mesh pots (4) on the boat (max allowed per boat even though there were 4 of us) on a spot shrimp day.

Ended up a solid 50 / 50 spot vs coonstripe, with the spots found thickest in 350 ft of water and the coons in 180 - 220 ft.

Spent the short day prospecting (obviously) and came up only 10 short of limits.

Just figure 300+ for spot, and around 200 for the coons. Smooth bottom is best - no reason to get hung up in rocks.

And if you don't have pots yet, you might not have a puller - get one!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 06:22:22 PM »
The main problem is depth limits.  Shrimp come up shallow at night, I used to catch them scuba diving at 60' on night dives, all released unharmed of course.  I haven't checked the regs, but if you can leave them out overnight it would likely help if you are facing depth limits.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]