collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt Spokane South Cow Moose tag  (Read 5653 times)

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Mt Spokane South Cow Moose tag
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
My guess is the 270 would push a 130 gr faster and you can go up to a 150gr easily. By no means do I want to derail your thread but I would be curious to hear from moose hunters that have taken one with light gear. Heck, I plan to use my 7mm rem mag next year and some say that's to light. I imagine with the light caliber you are 100% going double lung and risk only getting one with a rib strike.  Best of luck and looking forward to following aling.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 08:18:46 PM »
I personally would not feel uncomfortable at all using a 270 with factory or similar handloads on a Shiras. Pretty much anything you’d use on elk is plenty for a Shiras.
Sorry to thread jack.

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2018, 08:19:38 PM »
So far the plan is hunt the first week of October  :tup:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
My boy had the tag in '13 & '15. It took us a while to fill the tag mostly because he was young, so we had to have everything just right. Both of his cows were on the smaller side, but the 7-08 w/ 120 TTSX worked great. Pass through both times. I agree with the others, an IEP permit is a must. I suggest avoiding Thompson Creek, instead hunt the IEP next to Mt. Spokane. There are lots more clear cuts and lots more roads. Also way less people. I cannot remember the name, but there is a lodge with RV sites as well on the road to Mt. Spokane.

Offline BowhunterPNW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »
I've hunted the Mt. Spokane North unit the last two years but camped with hunters both years that had the Mt. Spokane south tag.  I would suggest looking into staying in Spirit Lake, Idaho.  We stayed at Sedlmayers Spirit Lake Resort both years.  They have tent sites, RV sites, and even a cabin you can rent.  They also have a restaurant on site called the Boar's Nest.  You can call the resort at 208-623-6863.  That time of year there are plenty of sites available and you will find that many of the RV resort will close down for the fall/winter, not Sedlmayers.  From that location, you can access the IEP land from the Idaho side and within 7-8 miles you are in WA and within the Mt. Spokane South hunt area.  Purchasing the Inland Empire access permit is a must as it opens up a lot of land you can drive.  I would suggest hunting the first days of the season as many often have success locating moose right on the roads, also there is no other hunting season going on at that time.  Later in the season, you can run into more hunting pressure with deer & elk season dates.  Late in the season, November, the leaves will be down and will offer more better opportunities to see moose in the brush.  But you must be aware that IEP lands will close their gates to truck access if the weather gets bad.  They do however still allow atv or utv access even if the gates are closed.  If that takes place, it can lead to better opportunities especially if you have snow, so you can locate fresh tracks.  The moose population in both Mt. Spokane units are way down so it's likely going to be more challenging than in the past.  Expect to cover a lot of country driving, the more country you cover the better the chances of catching a moose on the road.  Good Luck!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
No experience with moose but my wife has killed 2 bull elk (a spike and small 5) with her 270 shooting 130 grain barnes.  Got a pass through both times and killed the elk dead.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the 270, especially with a premium bullet.

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 01:47:06 PM »
Heading over next weekend to look at the area  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Gonna stay at Sedlmayers 2 nights on Spirit Lake (Thursday and Friday) to check out the area from the East. Then Saturday we arw going to stay at Bear Creek Lodge to look at the area just South and East of Mt Spokane State Park.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:17:24 PM by gasman »
Gasman

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
I know a few guys from Alaska and they always laugh when guys around here think they need a cannon to kill a moose.

Believe it or not, many have their wives carry a .243 or 25.06 and kill everything in AK except brown bears. Easier to shoot, lighter rifles, etc.

Good luck on the hunt!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 09:05:49 PM »
I wouldn’t stress on rifle caliber, just make sure she’s fairly competent with it. The hard part could be finding the moose. When I had the north tag in 12 it was a lot harder to find moose than I was expecting and moose numbers sound like they’ve dropped since then. I hunted early without success and went back in November and filled my tag.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »

Gonna stay at Sedlmayers 2 nights on Spirit Lake (Thursday and Friday) to check out the area from the East. Then Saturday we arw going to stay at Bear Creek Lodge to look at the area just South and East of Mt Spokane State Park.

if your up at bear creek look into elliott rd that heads in at the top of Thompson creek

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 08:56:39 AM »

if your up at bear creek look into elliott rd that heads in at the top of Thompson creek

That's one area on the list  :tup:
Gasman

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2018, 09:55:53 PM »
You can buy your IEP permit at Millers Food City in Spirit Lake Id.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2018, 10:40:32 AM »
You can buy your IEP permit at Millers Food City in Spirit Lake Id.

Did that this last weekend when went over to scout the area this last weekend  :tup:
Gasman

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
Good luck!!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline gasman