collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How big of a pack for deer?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: How big of a pack for deer?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2018, 09:30:40 PM »
I wouldn’t go smaller than a 3000 ci external frame pack with functional load lifters.
A 3000 ci pack will give you plenty of room for food, spotter, rain gear, cold weather gear, etc. but maybe I carry to much stuff.
External frame with functional load lifters will have the ability to lash the meat between the frame and the bag, load lifters will help pull the weight away from your shoulders and put it on your hips.
Whatever pack you get make sure you adjust it to fit you with a little weight in it.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
usmc74 has an eberlestock for sale that sounds like a nice one for that type of use. It’s more money than the link you showed, but probably last many time longer and be more versatile. Might be worth checking out

@usmc74

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »
:chuckle:
Thanks for the mention Josh.

So normally I just go out for the day. I have a bullpac. It’s just a framed packboard. Fits me great wide padded shoulder straps and waist belt. I put one game bag on it, one small fanny pack and about 20’ of paracord. On one side of the waist belt I’ve added a water bottle holder. All my knives, gear and food goes in the fanny pack strapped to the frame.  I have put a whole doe hide and all on it once. 105 pounds all said and done, deer, pack and fanny pack. Now I always go gutless and debone.

Now on the goat hunt with Josh I needed a pack with a bag to get all of our gear in, tent sleeping bag, the works. I borrowed a friends tenzing and it just didn’t work for me. Not sure if I just didn’t have it adjusted right or what. Going in wasn’t bad but coming out with it full of goat meat was brutal on my shoulders and back.

I’m sure it’s like anything. Some people love them some don’t. Same goes for boots, binocs or whatever.

I would strongly suggest borrowing and trying something out before buying.
I'm not sure if this is why, but the 6000 is for people over 6 feet tall and the 5000 is for people under 6 feet. Could that be why? I wore that pack for 16 days last year and compared to my old Army ruck it's really nice
The reason it doesn’t work is because it doesn’t have functional load lifters. The full load rode on his shoulders rather than his hips.
Oh okay. I'm no pack expert. I used it to haul a deer and had no issues. Maybe because it's so well padded.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal